all posts post new thread

Repeat Until Strong.

Today's practice: From Solid to Sinister
  • Goblet squats: 48-40-48; 3 sets of 5, 15 squats total
  • One-arm swings: 48-40-48-40-48; 10 sets of 10, 100 swings total (sum of left and right).
  • Get-ups: 48-40-48-40-48; 10 sets of 1, 10 get-ups total (sum of left and right)

Hello @Pavel Macek

First off, I hope you and your loved ones are fine !

I would have a little question regarding programming.

Currently, I run S&S (GU @36 and swings @40). I take advantage of the lockdown to get a daily practice. Indeed, I get more sleep because I do not have to commute for instance. I also walk way less...

That being said, I would like to get a blend (on alternate days for instance) of C&P and S&S, without burning out. Ideally, I'd like to progress on my pressing, but not regressing regarding S&S. As always, my overall goal remains "GPP"

Then, if you do not mind of course how would you program this ? What kind of C&P practice would you use (ladder, set / rep) ? I ask because this is the first time I go far beyond Simple while mixing with something else so I do not want to mess everything up. I am in some kind of unknown territory.

Once again, I thank you very much for your help !

By the way, I really like you recent "Hindu" videos ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello @Pavel Macek

Thank you very much for your programming !

I admit that yesterday's break from heavy swings and GUs (heavy for me but light for you ;) ) was very effective. Indeed, today's session felt better, especially the lunge part of the GU which always is for me the most difficult part.

Regarding the exercises of your "Minimum Effective Dose" / daily recharge, do you also practice the "Sapate", which is some kind of a blend between a Dand and a Baithak, done very smoothly ? More globally, what do you think of this move ?

From my modest perspective, I found that 2 or 3 minutes of continuous Sapate, with proper breathing is a sweet spot for energizing.

Kind regards,

Pet

Pavel, do you factor 2-arm swings into your practice, as per S&S 2.0?

I’m wondering if these are omitted upon reaching Timeless Simple. I didn’t see it in the book, but I rather enjoy working them in every 2-3 workouts.

Hello @Pavel Macek

Thank you very much for your programming !

I admit that yesterday's break from heavy swings and GUs (heavy for me but light for you ;) ) was very effective. Indeed, today's session felt better, especially the lunge part of the GU which always is for me the most difficult part.

Regarding the exercises of your "Minimum Effective Dose" / daily recharge, do you also practice the "Sapate", which is some kind of a blend between a Dand and a Baithak, done very smoothly ? More globally, what do you think of this move ?

From my modest perspective, I found that 2 or 3 minutes of continuous Sapate, with proper breathing is a sweet spot for energizing.

Kind regards,

Pet

I do lots of other stuff, both from Indian and Chinese martial arts, including the combo exercise you have posted.

Pavel, do you factor 2-arm swings into your practice, as per S&S 2.0?

I’m wondering if these are omitted upon reaching Timeless Simple. I didn’t see it in the book, but I rather enjoy working them in every 2-3 workouts.

Currently, no.

In my previous practice - yes. And I thing the structured incorporation of two-hand swings in the S&S is a great idea. Follow the program.

Today's practice: Timeless Sinister
  • Goblet squats: 5x3 with 48 kg, 15 squats total
  • One-arm swings: 10x10 with 48 kg, 100 swings total
  • Get-ups: 1x10 with 48 kg, 10 get-ups total.
I had to skip my heavy lifting for one week. As my alter ego Indy J. says:

I've been doing some reading since I have an idea that a level of hypertrophy is beneficial if you are chasing sinister.

It does make sense now that you mentioned taking a short detour via ROP above while putting s and s on maintenance..

Would you say the same for ROTK or still choose ROP due to it being simple (pun intended)??

I've been doing some reading since I have an idea that a level of hypertrophy is beneficial if you are chasing sinister.

It does make sense now that you mentioned taking a short detour via ROP above while putting s and s on maintenance..

Would you say the same for ROTK or still choose ROP due to it being simple (pun intended)??

Mark, the question is for @pet' I guess, I will just give my 2 cents:

- I don't think hypertrophy is necessary for Sinister
- detour is exactly what it is - detour: it is hard (not impossible, but hard) to progress in 2 different programs at the same time
- S&S > ROP > ROTK is a continuum - S&S being close to "Easy Strength", ROTK being pretty demanding EDT (Escalated Density Training), and ROP being somewhere in the middle.

I haven't heard someone mention EDT in a while.. Lots of fond memories..

Appreciate the answer as always, back to practice I go

Hello Pavel! I am working towards Sinister-Format swings for now, hopefully full Sinister in the near future! Just want to check what is the rough RPE level for yourself when you are getting in 10 swings every 45s when you mentioned that you can pass a talk test? Thank you!!

OK, after my MMA class, I woke up, and decided to do a nice and sweet session with the iron.

Today's training: Date with the Beast
  • goblet squats - 40-48-48, 3 sets of 5
  • 1-1-1 (low volume-low intensity-low density) one-arm swings -48-40-48-40, 8 swings every 75 secs, always left, rest; right, rest; 80 swings total (sum of left and right).
  • 1-1-1 (low volume-low intensity-low density) get-ups - 48-40-48-40, 1 get-up every 90 secs, rest; 8 get-ups total (sum of left and right).
Note: After 2 weeks of no kettlebells, not difficult. Good.

As you could see, I have added another variable: density. I have already met the "timeless" Sinister many times, and have done the Sinister swing test couple of times, but I am still not yet ready for 10 get-ups in 10 mins after the swings. Density variable should help to improve.

So as for density, for time being I am thinking:
  • Swings - low 75 secs, medium 60 secs, high 45 secs
  • Get-tups - low 90 secs, medium 75 secs, high 60 secs
Just an idea - I know that I can still pass a talk test at 10 swings every 45 secs, and I can do get-up with the Beast in about 30 secs, which still leaves me 30 secs plus.

And again - every training session will have a) different volume b) different intensity c) (and that is new) different density. Let's see how it goes.

Hello Pavel! I am working towards Sinister-Format swings for now, hopefully full Sinister in the near future! Just want to check what is the rough RPE level for yourself when you are getting in 10 swings every 45s when you mentioned that you can pass a talk test? Thank you!!

I would say on average 7-8 of 10. I did the timed standard many times - and I have to say, 15 secs is a difference.

Today's practice: Timeless Sinister
  • Goblet squats: 5x3 with 48 kg, 15 squats total
  • One-arm swings: 10x10 with 48 kg, 100 swings total
  • Get-ups: 1x10 with 48 kg, 10 get-ups total.
It's kind of cool when the Beast becomes your main training weigh and you are "lifting heavy, not hard". If somebody told me few years ago, I would not believe it. But well, it took few years to get here.

Back
Top Bottom