all posts post new thread

Repeat Until Strong.

@Shahaf Levin Thank you, I am glad somebody reads it :)

Your picture-of-the-day led to me reading Saxon's The Development of Physical Power, Klein's Try Hand-balancing! and Being Strong (a collection of writings by Sandow, Saxon, Hackenschmidt, Clavert, Atlas and Windship). These were great reads with great insights. It seems that today good writers (Pavel, Dan John, etc.) follow the same guidelines and principles.

@Shahaf Levin I have read the books you have mention many, many times - good stuff! I don't know the last one, Being Strong - do you have a link/picture of the cover, please? Can you post it? Thank you.

I think you might like this book – "Being Strong: Writings of the Old Strongmen" by Arthur Saxon, Eugen Sandow, Alan Calvert, Michael Rolls.

Start reading it for free: Being Strong: Writings of the Old Strongmen
e16zCx

Today's practice: Royal S&S

- move prep, 3 rounds of: 16 kg - armbar to bent arm bar, kneeling hip flexor stretch with kettlebell overhead - 5x, Hack squat - 5x.

- snatch - easy session: 4x28 kg, 6x28 kg, 6x 28 kg, 6x28 kg, 6x28 kg, 6x 28 kg - always left, rest, right, rest (= 1 set), 10 sets each hand total.

- bent presses - easy session: 2x32 kg, 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg - always left and right, rest (= 1 set), 10 sets each hand total.

Snatch 6x (28) - very impressive!! with Your bodyweight (circa 70kgs?)

My current bodyweight is 68 kg. Yes, I am happy with 28 kg easy sets of 6 in the kettlebell snatch, but it is far from impressive. @aciampa has ladies comfortably snatching 32, @Harald Motz is snatching 40 kg - that is impressive :)

Today's practice: Royal S&S

- move prep, 3 rounds of: 16 kg - armbar to bent arm bar, kneeling hip flexor stretch with kettlebell overhead - 5x, Hack squat - 5x.

- snatch - heavy session: 4x28 kg, 6x28 kg, 6x 28 kg, 6x28 kg, 6x28 kg, 6x 28 kg, 6x 28 kg, 6x28 kg, 6x28 kg, 4x 28 kg - always left, rest, right, rest (= 1 set), 10 sets each hand total.

- bent presses - medium session: 2x32 kg, 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg, - always left and right, rest (= 1 set), 8 sets each hand total.

Brettzel armbar? Bend the bottom leg, heel toward your head, extend your hip.

Just an idea I came up with today when I was doing the bent arm bar, and thought about Brett Jones' explanation of rib pull > Brettzel progression (challenging the opposite hip in the Brettzel), and thought - damn, the straight leg is kind of lazy in the bent armbar, so I bent it, extended the bottom hip, and well, it felt pretty good!

How does it feel? What do you think?IMG_1089.jpg

Last edited:
My current bodyweight is 68 kg. Yes, I am happy with 28 kg easy sets of 6 in the kettlebell snatch, but it is far from impressive. @aciampa has ladies comfortably snatching 32, @Harald Motz is snatching 40 kg - that is impressive :)

For accuracy, no females are using the 32 "comfortably" for their main sessions; but they can string several together. Anna C comes to mind. Also, there are several males using the 40 our main workload.

@Pavel Macek, do not short sell your accomplishments. 28 kg for easy sets of 6 is indeed impressive, moreso at a bodyweight of 68 kg. That is you, snatching 40% of your body weight, for easy sets of 6 repetitions. To me, and many on here, that is indeed impressive.

Today: Rest

Just stretching, light kettlebell work, various hanging patterns - all easy

Today's photo: Paul Anderson

“Here we see Paul walking on his hands, with feet on the rolling cart he constructed for this purpose. Paul says this exercise has greatly aided his pressing power. Of course weights can be tied to the waist or laid on the back and shoulders, or a training partner, who is light enough, can ride the shoulders for added resistance.” - Iron Man, 1961

22007951_1965113173707119_5322530931161183352_n.jpg

Hey @Pavel Macek
your log never gets boring to read! quick question: how many times per week did you practice S&S to reach Simple ?

I am glad you like the log. As it has quite a lot of readers, I try to post every day something interesting, not just the sets/reps.

As for your question: 4-7 days/week, 5 being the average - but actually I could meet the Simple standards right away the very first day I started the program, I just started lighter to review the technique and get into the program.

When it got heavier (40 kg and up), usually 2 days on, 2 days off, 4 days/week average.

Back
Top Bottom