all posts post new thread

Repeat Until Strong.

Wasn't there a vid of @Pavel Macek out there on youtube 1arm swinging 56kg ? I weight 66kg and still have issues with 24kg :confused:

Well, actually swinging 68 kg at bodyweight 68 kg, yes, but - Monte Saldo did a "straight arm swing snatch" with a dumbbell (called just "dumbbell swing" back in the old days) - i.e. overhead.

Don't worry that 24 feels heavy right now. Few years later you will look back and say... Main thing is that you are getting stronger with every swing.

Today's photo: Fascinating fact (but first promise you’ll never test it with your kid!)

1-ap.jpg

“An infant’s grip is so strong that he can support his own weight… in 1891, one researcher decided to test baby grips by dangling 60 different newborns from a walking stick… most were able to hang on for at least 10 seconds, and one of them lasted two minutes and 35 seconds.”

Yes, I am working on the hanging progressions for a long-time project of mine.

Today's photo: Fascinating fact (but first promise you’ll never test it with your kid!)

View attachment 3962

“An infant’s grip is so strong that he can support his own weight… in 1891, one researcher decided to test baby grips by dangling 60 different newborns from a walking stick… most were able to hang on for at least 10 seconds, and one of them lasted two minutes and 35 seconds.”

Yes, I am working on the hanging progressions for a long-time project of mine.
Actually I did this with my daughter more than two years ago. It was accident, but I noticed instantly how strong that reflex was in her. :D

Today's active rest

Last day of active rest - easy kettlebell and dumbbell drills, loaded stretching, etc. Can't wait for tomorrow's RS&S session!

Today's photo

1ADD.jpg

I have been (again) studying Stoic writings lately, especially Marcus Aurelius and Seneca. Good, practical stuff.

Today's practice: Royal S&S

- move prep, 3 rounds of: 16 kg - armbar to Brettzel arm bar, kneeling hip flexor stretch with kettlebell overhead - 5x, Hack squat - 5x.

- snatch - light session: 4x28 kg, 6x28 kg, 6x 28 kg, 6x28 kg, 6x28 kg, 6x 28 kg - always left, rest, right, rest (= 1 set), 6 sets each hand total.

- bent presses - heavy session: 2x32 kg, 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg, 2x32 kg - always left and right, rest (= 1 set), 10 sets each hand total.

- move prep, 3 rounds of: 16 kg - armbar to Brettzel arm bar, kneeling hip flexor stretch with kettlebell overhead - 5x, Hack squat - 5x.

- snatch - hard session: 4x28 kg, 6x28 kg, 6x 28 kg, 6x28 kg, 6x28 kg, 6x 28 kg, 6x28, 6x 28, 6x28, 6x28- always left, rest, right, rest (= 1 set), 10 sets each hand total.

- bent presses - medium session: 2x32 kg, 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg - always left and right, rest (= 1 set), 8 sets each hand total.

Last edited:
Today's picture

Two Arm Get-Up from the “All Round Strength Exercises” chapter of John Jesse’s Wrestling Physical Conditioning Encyclopedia, 1974.

1-two.jpg

- snatch - medium session: 6x28 kg, 6x 28 kg, 6x28 kg, 6x28 kg, 6x 28 kg, 6x28, 6x 28, 6x28, - always left, rest, right, rest (= 1 set), 8 sets each hand total.

- bent presses - hard session: 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg- always left and right, rest (= 1 set), 10 sets each hand total.

Today's picture

1-bp.jpg

Margaret makes her second public appearance at the ‘H & S’ League Show on April 9th, when she will give a further demonstration of her amazing weight-lifting science. Here she shows the two essential positions of the Bent Press.

- Health & Strength, 1960.​

All this talk about the bent press all the time makes me want to try it again some day soon.

Pavel, do you know how long the fixed bells/weights of the old days were?

All this talk about the bent press all the time makes me want to try it again some day soon.

Pavel, do you know how long the fixed bells/weights of the old days were?

Bent Press rocks. I have some stuff about bent press in the works.

As for the weights - all kinds, shapes, lengths - there was no standard.

Bent Press rocks. I have some stuff about bent press in the works.

As for the weights - all kinds, shapes, lengths - there was no standard.

Interesting that there were no standards at all with the weights. As we know, it makes a massive difference. Take the bent press, for example, do it with a dumbbell, kettlebell and then a olympic barbell, all with the same weight. All will feel very different.

Interesting that there were no standards at all with the weights. As we know, it makes a massive difference. Take the bent press, for example, do it with a dumbbell, kettlebell and then a olympic barbell, all with the same weight. All will feel very different.

My personal opinion:

- start bent presses with kettlebell - it is much easier to learn it
- as most gyms don't have heaver kettlebells than 48, and if they do, the jumps are 8 kg or more, switch to loadable dumbbell
- unless you are a performing strongman, or very strong, or just like it to do it for fun, I don't see many reasons why to use barbell

- snatch - hard session: 6x28 kg, 6x 28 kg, 6x28 kg, 6x28 kg, 6x 28 kg, 6x28 kg, 6x 28 kg, 6x28 kg, 6x 28 kg, 6x28 kg - always left, rest, right, rest (= 1 set), 10 sets each hand, 20 sets total.

- bent presses - medium session: 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg, 3x32 kg - always left and right, rest (= 1 set), 7 sets each hand, 14 sets total.

I am thinking of some changes for the next cycle, as well as variations of the program (thanks @taro for your comments), butler time being, I will just cut the volume very slightly - easy days form 6 sets to 5 sets per hand (i.e. 10 sets total), medium from 8 to 7 per hand (i.e. 14 sets total). Hard days remain 10 sets per hand (i.e. 20 sets total).

Today's picture

“Hanging Series” chapter of the manual for the [TOP SECRET PROJECT] finished!

From the [TOP SECRET PROJECT] manual:

“Hanging Series is a straight arm hang counterpart of a straight arm support Get-Up Series.”

“The benefits are many: spinal decompression, stretching out the lats, opening the shoulders, improving and strengthening the overhead position, improving the grip strength and grip endurance, etc.”

1-hang.jpg

Back
Top Bottom