all posts post new thread

Repeat Until Strong.

Today's practice: Royal S&S [for time being, no snatches]

- bent presses - high volume session: 3x40 kg, 10 sets each hand, 20 sets total, 60 reps with 40 kg.

- pistols
- easy, 5x3 with 16 kg

I just successfully finished another bent press cycle. I will cut down the reps back to 2, and start to incorporate 44 kg. RSAS works - happy! This is my motivation:

- bent presses - light volume session: 2x40 kg, 2x44 kg, 2x40 kg, 2x40 kg, 2x40 kg, always left and right, rest (= 1 set), 5 sets each hand, 10 sets total.

- pistols
- easy, 5x3 with 16 kg

Reps cut down form 3 to 2, but I started incorporate 44 kg. It doesn't feel heavy.

I will be traveling most of the next week, so I will restart snatches after I come back.

- bent presses - high volume session: 2x40 kg, 2x44 kg, 2x44 kg, 2x40 kg, 2x40 kg, 2x40 kg, 2x40 kg, 2x40 kg, 2x40 kg, 2x40 kg, always left and right, rest (= 1 set), 10 sets each hand, 20 sets total.

- pistols
- easy, 5x3 with 16 kg

Ok, no snatches. But what about swings? Why not swings?

I tried - few weeks ago - but any pulling type of movement (including barbell deadlift) did not make my elbow happy, so I gave it full rest, which as it seems was wise decision. Well, 5 combat arts sessions a week for last almost 30 years...

@Pavel Macek , do you find that the heavier the bent press weight, the easier it is to let the weight push you into the hole instead of cheating and pressing the weight at the end? Your 48kg bent press looked like it had some pressing at the end of the move but the 56kg press you just posted looked much better. Did the extra weight make the difference?

Last edited:
@Pavel Macek , do you find that the heavier the bent press weight, the easier it is to let the weight push you into the hole instead of cheating and pressing the weight at the end? Your 48kg bent press looked like it had some pressing at the end of the move but the 56kg press you just posted looked much better. Did the extra weight make the difference?

Yes, but...

- I think you should be able to do it with any weight - light, medium, heavy
- I would not say "let the weight push you into the hole instead" - the key is wedging between the stationary bell and pushing yourself under the weight. "Stationary" means staying in the same height, as the bell moves in a horizontal plane
- If you "cheat" and press it, it is actually not cheating - it just means it is not pure bent press, and if you have lifted the weight with bent press/side press finish, you will lift heavier weight with bent press proper

I also re-tested my symmetrical 48 kg as well on the same day I lifted 56, and it was nice and pure bent press - because of lot of reps with 40.

Back
Top Bottom