all posts post new thread

Repeat Until Strong.

@taro

- Solid - that is what I call the standard in-between Simple (32 kg) and Sinister (48 kg), i.e. 40 kg. Please refer to my article Solid: In-Between Simple & Sinister | StrongFirst
- as the name says, "Tactical Periodization" - S&S variation/test program I am working on. It has 3 volume zones and 3 intensity zones. Every day same, but different
- "Pavel" is alright - "Mr" not needed. We are all brothers in Strength

Today's practice: From Solid to Sinister - Tactical Periodization

- goblet squats - 5x36 kg, 5x44 kg, 5x36 kg

- 2-2 (medium-medium) one-arm swings - 10x36kg, 10x44 kg, 10x36 kg, 10x44 kg, 10x36 kg, OTM, always left, rest; right, rest. 100 swings total (sum of left and right).

-2-3 (medium-high) get-ups - 1x40 kg, 1x48 kg, 1x40 kg, 1x48 kg, 1x40 kg always left+ right, rest, 10 get-ups total (sum of left and right).

I am (not) surprised that the 3rd, 4th (and often times 5th) set feel better than the 1st or 2nd. Momentum.

Today's thought

3 reasons why I don't like colored kettlebells

1) When I grab let's say 48 by mistake, thinking it is 40, I know that I have recovered very well from the last session: Bigger bells look smaller.

2) ...and if I don't notice it is 48, I do an unexpected PR. This is btw. exactly how I did my first get-up with the Beast few years ago. By mistake. Numbers may be just a barrier in our head.

3) Last but not least - colors, really? "You can have kettlebell in any color you want, as long as it's black."

Hello @Pavel Macek

I immediately thought about you when I saw this article on the blog:
Simplify your Strength Programming Using Die-Rolled Variability | StrongFirst
It seems like a randomized version of your periodization ;)

By the way, I recently incorporated again some kettlebell training in my routine. I guess you already knew it, but the bent press and the front squat, done as a complex makes an awesome grind. As I am fairly light, I keep volume low (3 daily reps per side) @32kg using the complex. It really feels great.

Thanks for your difference advices !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Pavel,

I have read your S&C article for MMA and I really enjoyed it. Would you suggest mastering Simple & Sinister (specifically sinister) first before trying the push-press alternative?

Hello @Pavel Macek

I immediately thought about you when I saw this article on the blog:
Simplify your Strength Programming Using Die-Rolled Variability | StrongFirst
It seems like a randomized version of your periodization ;)

By the way, I recently incorporated again some kettlebell training in my routine. I guess you already knew it, but the bent press and the front squat, done as a complex makes an awesome grind. As I am fairly light, I keep volume low (3 daily reps per side) @32kg using the complex. It really feels great.

Thanks for your difference advices !

Kind regards,

Pet'

My program also uses a dice throw - one to determine volume, second the intensity.

As for your program - good combo. I would still do a bit more (3x3 seems to me to be "minimum effective dose").

Pavel,

I have read your S&C article for MMA and I really enjoyed it. Would you suggest mastering Simple & Sinister (specifically sinister) first before trying the push-press alternative?

Doug, Simple & Sinister's "Simple" standard.

- goblet squats - 5x40 kg, 5x48 kg, 5x40 kg

- 2-3 (medium-high) one-arm swings - 10x40kg, 10x48 kg, 10x40 kg, 10x48 kg, 10x40 kg, OTM, always left, rest; right, rest. 100 swings total (sum of left and right).

-1-3 (low-high) get-ups - 1x40 kg, 1x48 kg, 1x40 kg, 1x48 kg, always left+ right, rest, 8 get-ups total (sum of left and right).

Last edited:

- goblet squats - 5x32 kg, 5x40 kg, 5x32 kg

- 1-1 (light-light) one-arm swings - 10x32kg, 10x40 kg, 10x32 kg, 10x40 kg, OTM, always left, rest; right, rest. 80 swings total (sum of left and right).

-1-1 (light-light) get-ups - 10x32kg, 10x40 kg, 10x32 kg, 10x40 kg, always left+ right, rest, 8 get-ups total (sum of left and right).

Very easy, tonic session.

- goblet squats - 5x36 kg, 5x44 kg, 5x36 kg

- 2-2 (medium-medium) one-arm swings - 10x36kg, 10x44 kg, 10x36 kg, 10x44 kg, 10x36 kg, OTM, always left, rest; right, rest. 100 swings total (sum of left and right).

-3-3 (high-high) get-ups - 1x40kg, 1x48 kg, 1x40 kg, 1x48 kg, 1x40 kg, 1x40 kg, always left+ right, rest, 12 get-ups total (sum of left and right).

The Beast feels better and better. Good thing is that I recover very well - and this is actually a goal.

Last edited:
Heavy!
Why do you jumping 8 kg between kettlebells, not 4?

Are they too light? :)

@taro , actually the opposite. E.g. 44 and 48 would be "heavy" and "heavier". 40 and 48 are "medium" and "heavy". Hence the load variability. The program uses (although not actually 100% precisely) so called Delta 20 principle: 20% difference in volume/intensity from session to session.

Back
Top Bottom