all posts post new thread

Repeat Until Strong.

Today's pic and quote

61759820_2456213081064183_4459348471945625600_o.jpg

“Pavel [Tsatsouline] isn’t a big guy, nor does he want to be. Wiry, functional strength and power is his game. His body is more Bruce Lee than Arnold, and he’s more interested in training for combat than training for the beach.” ⁣⁣
⁣⁣⁣⁣
⁣⁣From an old article about my teacher.

Example to follow!

Today's practice: From Solid to Sinister - Tactical Periodization
  • goblet squats - 5x44kg, 5x56 kg, 5x44 kg
  • 1-3 (low-high) one-arm swings - 10x44 kg, 10x56 kg, 10x44 kg, 10x56 kg, OTM, always left, rest; right, rest; 100 swings total (sum of left and right).
  • 1-3 (low-high) get-ups - 1x40 kg, 1x48 kg, 1x40 kg, 1x48 kg, always left+ right, rest; 8 get-ups total (sum of left and right).
  • Front Lever - GTG, 6 secs holds of advanced tuck front lever throughout the day
Plan for the weekend

• Into the Wild! Backpack, sleeping bag, hiking!

Mr Pavel, when will you attack SINISTER?

Taro, honestly, I think I am ready, but I want to have "strength reserve" (all 10 sets of swings with 56 kg). Second reason - only few weeks ago I unlocked the mystery of my worse get-up side - finally 40 is very easy, 44 comfortable, and 48 pretty good.

If Fortuna allows, I will conquer "Sinister" after I finish this cycle - 3 more months, so probably August/September, before I start traveling.

• goblet squats - 5x40kg, 5x48 kg, 5x40 kg
  • 2-2 (medium-medium) one-arm swings - 10x40 kg, 10x48 kg, 10x40 kg, 10x48 kg, 1x40 kg, OTM, always left, rest; right, rest; 100 swings total (sum of left and right).
  • 3-1 (high-low) get-ups - 1x32 kg, 1x40 kg, 1x32 kg, 1x40 kg, 1x32 kg, 1x32 kg, always left+ right, rest; 12 get-ups total (sum of left and right).
  • Front Lever - GTG, 6 secs holds of advanced tuck front lever throughout the day.

Pavel

What is the background of Tactical Periodization? I googled that but only run across football tactics. The forum search relates to your blog here. Is this always 3-1/2-2 for 2-lift programs? I’m feeling I’m slowing down with my SS while using 32kg only. Would you advise to use it approaching simple or rather only after it?

Thanks and excuse me for trashing your great log with my query!

Pavel

What is the background of Tactical Periodization? I googled that but only run across football tactics. The forum search relates to your blog here. Is this always 3-1/2-2 for 2-lift programs? I’m feeling I’m slowing down with my SS while using 32kg only. Would you advise to use it approaching simple or rather only after it?

Thanks and excuse me for trashing your great log with my query!

The program you see above is something I wrote for those who own swings and get-ups with 40 kg. It uses some of our core StrongFirst principles, such as wawing the load (volume, intensity) and "Delta 20" (sort of) from Plan Strong. In a nutshell, every session is different - always different volume, always different intensity, and always 8 kg jumps between the 2 bells used for the respective lift (exception - swings, I have 48 and 56, and actually I like this jump better). It allows me to train relatively heavy more often, without being sore, and progress. If you do S&S with 32, keep doing it by the book, and add ocassionaly off-day option (two-hand overspeed eccentric swings, get-ups with pause - please refer to the book).

As for tactical periodization per se, it is described in our SFG Level I and Level 2 manuals.

For reference, check out this article. Tactical Periodization: What It Is and How to Do It

• 1-3 (low-high) one-arm swings - 10x44 kg, 10x56 kg, 10x44 kg, 10x56 kg, OTM, always left, rest; right, rest; 80 swings total (sum of left and right).
  • 2-3 (low-high) get-ups - 1x40 kg, 1x48 kg, 1x40 kg, 1x48 kg, 1x40 kg, always left+ right, rest; 10 get-ups total (sum of left and right).
  • Front Lever - GTG, 6 secs holds of advanced tuck front lever throughout the day

• 1-3 (low-high) one-arm swings - 10x44 kg, 10x56 kg, 10x44 kg, 10x56 kg, OTM, always left, rest; right, rest; 80 swings total (sum of left and right).
  • 2-3 (low-high) get-ups - 1x40 kg, 1x48 kg, 1x40 kg, 1x48 kg, 1x40 kg, always left+ right, rest; 10 get-ups total (sum of left and right).

Pavel,

As strong as you are why do you still do Goblet squats? Just convenient compared to barbell work?

Today's Practice

• Shield, Spear & Sword Protocol
  • StrongFirst RESILIENT
  • Front Lever GTG - 6 secs holds of advanced tuck front lever
Getting ready for the next week, Second Wind with Pavel. LOTS of stuff to arrange, excited!

Compliments both swings and get ups....?

I have to thank you for reminding me that I should be using my swing weight in my Goblet Squats. By doing so, I have noticed an improvement in both my swings & get ups, along with a reduction in any muscle stiffness or soreness afterwards.

- Pavel's recommendation to keep the GSQ
- GSQ - THE squat for the people
- minimum effective dose - maintaining the squat pattern
- with heavier weight great midsection training

• goblet squats - 5x40kg, 5x48 kg, 5x40 kg
  • 2-2 (medium-medium) one-arm swings - 10x40kg, 10x48 kg, 10x40 kg, 10x48 kg, 10x40 kg, OTM, always left, rest; right, rest; 100 swings total (sum of left and right).
  • 1-2 (low-medium) get-ups - 1x36 kg, 1x44 kg, 1x36 kg, 1x44 kg, always left+ right, rest; 8 get-ups total (sum of left and right).

Hi, Pavel, your weight progression recommendations have been very helpful regarding the Get-up.

I now have a question about the 1-Arm Swing. When making a “weight jump” (for example 32kg to 36kg), should I strive to work up to that weight by:

1) Doing sets of just 5 reps with the 36kg, and slowly working up to 10 as strength & confidence builds.
2) First incorporate sets of 10 reps with the 36kg, but doing 2-Arm Swings instead.

Or if you have better advice, I’d really appreciate it! I couldn’t quite find the answer in the S&S book. Thank you.

Hi, Pavel, your weight progression recommendations have been very helpful regarding the Get-up.

I now have a question about the 1-Arm Swing. When making a “weight jump” (for example 32kg to 36kg), should I strive to work up to that weight by:

1) Doing sets of just 5 reps with the 36kg, and slowly working up to 10 as strength & confidence builds.
2) First incorporate sets of 10 reps with the 36kg, but doing 2-Arm Swings instead.

Or if you have better advice, I’d really appreciate it! I couldn’t quite find the answer in the S&S book. Thank you.

Split the set of 10 into 2 split sets of 5+5. Let's say you can do just 5 perfect 1-arm swings, and then your grip (or anything else) starts to give up. Set the bell down, shake it of, and few seconds later (5, 10, 20... uptimes to you), finish the set of 10. Gradually substitute sets of 10 with let's say 32 with split sets of (5+5 - same hand!) with 36. Then replace split sets (5+5) with 36 with full sets of 10. Credit to Fabio Zonin - this is his advice.

Back
Top Bottom