all posts post new thread

Repeat Until Strong.

Hello,

"Just" the regular morning routine (breathing exercises and joint mobility)
For simple curiosity (and because I enjoy learning :) ) what kind of breathing exercises do you do ?

On an everyday basis, I practice stomach vaccum and diaphragm breathing (for freediving practice). I also use the "dragon blow" (inhale with diaphragm, then contracting the abs, exhale slowly using diaphragm while maintaining as much ab contraction as I can. Can become difficult because when you exhale, you naturally tend to relax ab contraction)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Today's practice:

- move prep: bent arm bar, pump, cossack
- 20x5 snatches
- 5x2 bent presses

Still light (hotel) weights, so i was doing some stacked kettlebell bent presses. Reading my notes from Strong Endurance, I have few good ideas for the snatch part of Royal Simple & Sinister as for a progression.

Today's photo: 20 years old Paul Anderson pressing two 120-pound dumbbells.

20621066_1943755152509588_1149359192107262576_n.jpg

Yesterday's practice:

- bent press singles, increasing weight every set
- 20x5 snatches
- 5x2 bent presses

Today's practice:

- bent press singles, increasing weight every set
- 20x5 snatches
- 5x2 bent presses

Early morning session, last day in Colorado - going back to Europe!

Today's practice: Royal S&S, Test Cycle

- move prep: 16 kg - bent arm bar - 10 breaths, pump - 5x, cossack - 10x
- bent press: 16, 20, 24, 28 32, 36, 40 - singles, always 1 left and 1 right
- snatch - 24 kg, hard session, 10 sets: 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5 ,5 - always left, rest, right, rest, i.e. 100 snatches total (50 left, 50 right)
- bent presses - 28 kg, medium session, 8 sets: 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2 - always left and right, i.e. 32 bent presses total (16 left, 16 right)

Few notes:
- test run
- long term view - so I started lighter, e.g. "hard" in snatches means 100 total reps instead of 80 (medium) or 60 (light).
- I will use double progression both for snatch and bent press - first higher reps, then lower the reps and gradually increase the weight
- I will play with light-medium-hard sessions - determined by a dice throw (adapted from one Strong Endurance program, with emphasis on medium days)

Let me guys play with this for some time, once I figure out the right parameters, I will give away the full program with all details.

Today's photo: Antone Matysek ready to bent press.

1-matysek.jpg

Hello,

@Pavel Macek
Very impressive numbers !

I have a certainly stupid question, but how long did it take to complete this session (more or less) ? Indeed, the BnP (first with the ascending weights) and then with constant weights might last long time, no ?

In the Royal S&S, will there be also this principle of 2 types of sets / reps bent press ?

Anyway I like it !

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet' not impressive, but anyway, it doesn't matter. They will be higher in next few months.

How long did it take? About an hour. First block of bent presses doesn't take much time - up to 32 kg it was easy. Same goes for the second block - 28 is light/medium weight for me. In the snatch I rest more than I feel that I need, but that's a purpose.

I don't understand the third question: "In the Royal S&S, will there be also this principle of 2 types of sets / reps bent press ?" Do you mean singles and then (after the snatch) doubles? Yes. And actually progression form doubles to triples, and then to a heavier weight.

Anyway, as I said - testing phase. The main thing is that I was not tired, and when I did the same protocol on my holiday (with lighter bell for the snatch, and stacked kettlebells for the bent press), I recovered very well - no fatigue, no sore muscles. We will see how it goes.

Of course I miss my S&S, but I do not want to provoke the elbow - I will come back to S&S after few cycles of Royal S&S and finish what I have started - damn, I was just 3 get-ups shy of "Sinister". Never mind, that's life. Main thing is that I know that I can do it.

Hello,

@Pavel Macek
not impressive, but anyway, it doesn't matter
Well...my max is 36 (for a bdw @about 63) when I only go for 5 reps with plenty of rest between (S&S style, regardless the time standard). So, when I see your volume I tell to myself "damn, you've still have work to do !". Kind of motivation !

Do you mean singles and then (after the snatch) doubles? Yes. And actually progression form doubles to triples, and then to a heavier weight.
Yes you got it right ! ;)

Currently, I am running a mainly bdw version of the "Bear" 3x a week with some tempo variations in the sets.

> 4 sets of 3 reps using the following tempo: 5s down, 2s hold bottom, 1s up, 2s up. I do it . I add a back off set using 2121 tempo.
> To work on antagonist (biceps) I use the same principle for pull ups, but with 4 sets of 7 reps @3111 + back off set @1111.

It seems to maintain BnP @36 pretty well until now. In a while, I'll try to do a post about that.

Anyway, I hope your elbow will be as strong as before very fast ! I am looking forward your Royal Program :) !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Bent Press (especially on my right hand) is very natural lift for me - I can bent press 40 on any given day on my right, and while on S&S, I have accidentally bent pressed 48, so I know there is a huge transfer of get-up to bent press. I am curious if it is also other way around.

As for the volume, Kurt Saxon wrote (LINK):

It is necessary to practice this lift (bent press) all the time... We used to make about 30 attempts at each training session.

The preliminary version of the Royal S&S has 12-18 reps (light day), 16-24 reps (medium day) and 20-30 reps (hard day) on each hand, not counting the singles in the Block 1 - all with relatively light/medium weight, kind of a backoff sets. Many of my students did 5x5 with no problem, so we will see if it fits the bill (especially after snatches).

Elbow is good - even when I got hurt, it was just swelling; ROM/joint all good. I just want to give it extra rest. Which means - no get-ups, and no elbow strikes to the bag or to the head.

Hi Pavel,

The singles is in every session? Or you do these sometimes to see the progress?

Thanks

Hi Pavel,

The singles is in every session? Or you do these sometimes to see the progress?

Thanks

Just to touch heavier weight, and on a very good day lift a heavier weight, but - peaking and testing will be another story, both for the snatch and bent press.

The main thing is the (almost) daily practice and reaping the benefits - strong endurance & strength. Testing will be just once in a blue moon, just a confirmation of improvement.

Gentlemen, just a test drive for time being, I will (probably) modify the program if needed.

Back
Top Bottom