all posts post new thread

Repeat Until Strong.

Today's practice: Royal S&S, Test Cycle

- move prep: 16 kg - bent arm bar - 10 breaths, pump - 5x, cossack - 10x
- bent press: 16, 20, 24, 28 32, 36 - singles, always 1 left and 1 right
- snatch - 24 kg, light session, 8 sets each hand: 5, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6 - always left, rest, right, rest (= 1 set)
- bent presses - 28 kg, heavy session, 10 sets each hand: 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2, 2, 2 - always left and right, rest (= 1 set)

Reactions: DCM
Today's picture

1.thomas-inch.jpg

“Thomas Inch, of England, doing his world’s record arm push of 200 lbs., a feat which Arthur Saxon thought to be impossible, owing to the difficulty in maintaining balance when the pelvis is fixed, owing to the rigidity of the legs, which the lift calls for. This is not a bent press, but is accomplished with the leg absolutely straight. Inch is the man who put weight lifting on the map in Great Britain and is said to be England’s strongest man.”

- Strength, October 1920.​

- bent press: 16, 20, 24, 28 32, 36, 40 - singles, always 1 left and 1 right
- snatch - 24 kg, medium session, 8 sets each hand: 5, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, always left, rest, right, rest (= 1 set)
- bent presses - 28 kg, medium session, 8 sets each hand: 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, always left and right, rest (= 1 set)

Otherwise teaching at our summer camp - almost 100 people. Sun, iron, river, fresh air - life is good.

- snatch - 24 kg, easy session, 8 sets each hand: 5, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6 - always left, rest, right, rest (= 1 set)
- bent presses - 28 kg, hard session, 8 sets each hand: 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 - always left and right, rest (= 1 set)

Today's practice: Rest day

Today's photo: Start them Young!

1bent.jpg

- snatch - 24 kg, medium session, 8 sets each hand: 5, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, always left, rest, right, rest (= 1 set)
- bent presses - 28 kg, medium session, 8 sets each hand: 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, always left and right, rest (= 1 set)

Today's picture: The King of All Lifts on the cover of Health & Strength Annual (1930)

1bp.jpg

I have not been here long time, and I see that a lot is happening!
On what basis do you choose the weight (for BP and SNATCH)?

I have not been here long time, and I see that a lot is happening!
On what basis do you choose the weight (for BP and SNATCH)?

Snatch - was thinking of starting with 28, which would be about right, but I have decided 24 to see if my previously injured elbow would not cause troubles. All good, I will gradually switch to 28 very soon. 24 allowed me to spent some time on technique review with a relatively light weight.

Bent press - similar thing. I knew 32 would be doable, but medium-heavy. 28 was a good choice. I bent pressed 44 on my left (PR), and will gradually switch to 32 very soon.

- snatch - 24 kg, hard session, 10 sets each hand: 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6 - always left, rest, right, rest (= 1 set)
- bent presses - 28 kg, hard session, 10 sets each hand: 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 - always left and right, rest (= 1 set)

First phase finished.

Now comes the twist:

- I will drop the reps (6s to 4s, 3s to 2s), but
- I will gradually increase the weight (24 > 28 in the snatch, 28 > 32 in the bent press)
- Because I want the whole thing to be finished in an hour or less, I will drop the bent press singles
- close to random easy-medium-hard sessions - referring to volume - decided by a dice throw, work great.
- let me finish at least another so I know more, and then I will send to those who are interested the whole protocol

Today's picture: Dumbbell Bent Press

1-db-pb.jpg

“There is no other weight-lifting feat that so much calls forth admiration of other athletes. It is more fascinating than any other of the forty-odd lifts that weight men have been practicing for the past fifty years. And yet we see very little of it today - although in my own gym you will see it.”

- Siegmund Klein, How to Bent Press, 1938.​

@Pavel Macek, are you doing Halos to help your elbows? I had cut them out of my training, and my elbows got sore. I put them back in, elbow soreness goes away.

As I wrote before, my elbow was not damaged, joint was intact, ROM fine, no pain/soreness at all - just the swelling. All good now, just residual scar tissue slowly disappearing. Halos will not help - the only thing that my left elbow needs is not to apply pressure on it (like leaning on it when lying on a hard surface) or striking with it.

Halos helped me when I was doing lots of heavy swings and get-ups (40, 44, 48) and my elbows were occasionally sore, that is why I kept them in my move-prep.

For Royal S&S, I am testing a different move-prep - kind of progression of the standard S&S move-prep.

Today's practice: Royal S&S

- snatch - light session, 6 sets each hand: 4x24 kg, 4x28 kg, 4x24 kg, 4x24 kg, 4x24 kg, 4x24 kg - always left, rest, right, rest (= 1 set)
- bent presses - medium session, 8 sets each hand: 2x28 kg, 2x32 kg, 2x28 kg, 2x28 kg, 2x28 kg, 2x28 kg, 2x28 kg, 2x28 kg, - always left and right, rest (= 1 set)

As you can see, I dropped the reps (6s to 4s, 3s to 2s), but increased the weight in the second set (24 > 28, 28 > 32), and will continue to do so until I get all reps with the new weight. Then I will add the reps again. Both 28 and 32 feel light (well, because they are).

Today's photo: Dumbbell Side Press

1-side.jpg

Today's practice: Royal S&S

- snatch - hard session: 10 sets each hand: 4 (24 kg), 4 (28 kg), 4 (28 kg), 4 (24 kg), 4 (24 kg), 4 (24 kg), 4 (24 kg), 4 (24 kg), 4 (24 kg), 4 (24 kg) - always left, rest, right, rest (= 1 set)
- bent presses - hard session: 10 sets each hand: 2 (28 kg), 2 (32 kg), 2 (32 kg), 2 (28 kg), 2 (28 kg), 2 (28 kg), 2 (28 kg), 2 (28 kg), 2 (28 kg), 2 (28 kg) - always left and right, rest (= 1 set)

Today's photo

01-grimek.jpg

“John Grimek performing the two dumbbell swing with a low split as the bells go overhead. The one hand dumbbell swing can be performed continuously with one arm or the dumbbell changed from hand to hand as it reaches the overhead position. Both are fine shoulder builders.”

- Bob Hoffman, Broad Shoulders, 1946.​

Back
Top Bottom