all posts post new thread

Repeat Until Strong.

Hi, Pavel -

I am still struggling with even a partial 32kg TGU, while I use that same weights regularly on 1A swings. I’ve worked in floor press static holds as you mentioned before, but so far no real progress.

I do train 3x/week due to some time constraints - do you think it may be a matter of overall volume? I noticed something Steve Freides mentioned in this thread and it has been running through my mind lately: https://www.strongfirst.com/community/threads/minimum-effective-dose.9537/

Thank you for any thoughts!!!

Hi, Pavel -

I am still struggling with even a partial 32kg TGU, while I use that same weights regularly on 1A swings. I’ve worked in floor press static holds as you mentioned before, but so far no real progress.

I do train 3x/week due to some time constraints - do you think it may be a matter of overall volume? I noticed something Steve Freides mentioned in this thread and it has been running through my mind lately: https://www.strongfirst.com/community/threads/minimum-effective-dose.9537/

Thank you for any thoughts!!!

Until you reach "Simple", I recommend almost daily practice. Apart form floor presses and holds, do:

- paused get-ups - 5-10 secs in each of the phases with lighter bell
- roll to elbow, or half get-ups (tall sit) - sets of 2-3 reps
- if you can push press/jerk the 32 up, do reverse get ups - start with partial reps (e.g. just step back to tall kneeling, and then get up)
- use spotter when you will do get-up with 32 - if you have spent enough quality time with lighter bell, all you need is confidence
- ask an SFG to check your technique - get-up is very technical lift - minor correction may be huge difference
- re-read my article and watch the get-up video > Solid: In-Between Simple & Sinister | StrongFirst

Today's video

From the StrongFirst RESILIENT Manual: Neck Rotation, Arm Rotation, Neck & Arm Rotation, Press

Add the techniques to one of the phases of the get-up, then switch sides and repeat on the other side.

Example: Pick up the kettlebell and roll to your back, floor press the bell, and perform all the drills. Pull the kettlebell down and park, switch sides, repeat. After you switch sides again, pick up the bell, floor press, roll to elbow, and perform all the drills. Get back to the floor, repeat on the other side, and so on.

Use lighter kettlebell and a spotter.

Skip the neck plus neck & arm rotation in the kneeling windmill.

These drills were first introduced in the highly recommended Kettlebells from the Ground Up DVD series.

From the StrongFirst RESILIENT Manual: SOS Get-Up

[NOTE: The video shows the "get-down" part]

Originally developed by Mike Perry, StrongFirst Certified Senior Instructor. SOS = Skill of Strength.

“This version requires significantly more thoracic mobility than a traditional get up. If your goal is to perform a windmill or bent press, this is a fantastic variation of the get up to perform prior to doing those other drills.”

New StrongFirst RESILIENT Event added - please check out StrongFirst RESILIENT | StrongFirst

Today's training: Date with the Beast

• goblet squats - 5x48kg, 5x48 kg, 5x48 kg
  • 1-3 (low volume-high intensity) one-arm swings - 48-48-48-48, OTM, always 10 left, rest; 10 right, rest; 80 swings total (sum of left and right).
  • 1-3 (low volume-high intensity) get-ups - 1x48 kg, 1x48 kg, 1x48 kg, 1x48 kg, always 1 left+1 right, rest; 8 get-ups total (sum of left and right).

• goblet squats - 5x40kg, 5x48 kg, 5x48 kg
  • 3-2 (high volume-medium intensity) one-arm swings - 48-40-48-40-48-48, 10 swings OTM, always left, rest; right, rest; 120 swings total (sum of left and right).
  • 2-2 (medium volume-high intensity) get-ups -48-40-48-40-48, always 1 left+ 1 right, rest; 10 get-ups total (sum of left and right).

Mr Pavel, you were at Wim Hof's, and you recommend The Oxygen's Advantage to McKeown's.

Aren't these methods opposed?

Mr Pavel, you were at Wim Hof's, and you recommend The Oxygen's Advantage to McKeown's.

Aren't these methods opposed?

I was doing WHM for 3 months, every day. As for breath hold times, I had excellent results, plus many other positive effects - better calmness of the mind, cold tolerance... but I had many doubts (I felt "high", "intoxicated"), so I stopped doing it. To be able to make a better opinion of the method, I attended a workshop taught by WHM certified instructor - and I had even more doubts. Both Pavel (Second Wind) and Patrick McKeown explained the potential benefits (some) and dangers (many - heart, brain... !) of hyperventilation as practiced in WHM. It works - for for a price.

My resume: There may be potentially some benefits of WHM/hypocapnia, in much lesser "hormetic" and very carefully applied doses. More research and time is needed (and less cultish and drug-like rhetorics).

On the other hand, our Second Wind protocols, as well Oxygen Advantage, are very well researched (50 years+), are very safe, and offer many, many benefits for all.

• goblet squats - 5x48kg, 5x48 kg, 5x48 kg
  • 2-3 (medium volume-high intensity) one-arm swings - 48-48-48-48-48, 10 swings OTM, always left, rest; right, rest; 100 swings total (sum of left and right).
  • 3-3 (high volume-high intensity) get-ups -48-48-48-48-48-48, always 1 left+ 1 right, rest; 12 get-ups total (sum of left and right).

Weekend

Instructor's meeting of our KB5 Gyms (8 gyms and counting) - plans for 2020. Most of them are StrongFirst certified, and rest will get certified very soon.

team.jpg

• goblet squats - 40, 48 kg, 48 kg, 3 sets of 5
  • 3-2 (high volume-medium intensity) one-arm swings - 48-40-48-40-48-48, 10 swings OTM, always left, rest; right, rest; 120 swings total (sum of left and right).
  • 1-1 (low volume-low intensity) get-ups -40-48-40-48, always 1 left+ 1 right, rest; 8 get-ups total (sum of left and right).

Back
Top Bottom