all posts post new thread

Repeat Until Strong.

Kneeling Hip Flexor Stretch with a Kettlebell Overhead⁣

⁣⁣
⁣From the StrongFirst RESILIENT manual: ⁣
⁣⁣
„…hold a kettlebell overhead (e.g. right foot back, kettlebell in the right hand.). Lift your spine, arm, and the kettlebell up with your hip.“⁣
⁣⁣
⁣“Holding a weight overhead enforces the upright bearing necessary for stretching the hip flexors—which makes for a great drill.” (Super- Joints)⁣
⁣⁣
⁣Upcoming events > StrongFirst RESILIENT | StrongFirst
⁣⁣
⁣Get resilient - StrongFirst RESILIENT!⁣

Today's training: Date with the Beast
  • goblet squats - 48-48-48, 3 sets of 5
  • II-III-I (medium volume-high intensity-low density) one-arm swings -
    48-48-48-48-48; 10 swings every 75 secs; 100 swings total (sum of left and right).
  • III-I-I (high volume-low intensity-low density) get-ups - 40-48-40-48-40-48; 1 get-up every 105 secs; 12 get-ups total (sum of left and right)
Today's note

- I skipped my session on Saturday - tired, plus painful left forearm (old martial arts injury from 2003).
- After some experimenting, I increased the rest in the get-ups - I was able to do it in the shorter time period, but I was quite sore.

Last edited:
@Pavel Macek, would you shed light on tactical periodization?

Random waving of intensity, volume, and density: same exercises, but always different weights, total number of reps, and rest between sets. I am testing few different blueprints (using dice throw to randomly determine all above), and so far with great success. Please refer to Pavel's new book The Quick and the Dead, especially the part about Delta 20 principle.

Roger, one more thing, does it can apply to everything?

Different folks, different strokes. There are many, many different models of periodization - you have to find out what suits you best. I recommend starting with basic step cycle, and proceed from there. Check out Pavel's Power to the People (where he explains different models), follow Rite of Passage (again different model), and refer to The Quick and the Dead. Lots of great info there.

I read PTTP two maybe three times, and currently, I'm following the Deadlift plan from the book. All the books you mentioned are great, and I really enjoyed reading them.

@Pavel Macek, would you shed light on tactical periodization?

Maybe this older post of mine in another thread is helpful for you, too:
You should check @Pavel Macek 's Training Log since he is using die roll variability with S&S, albeit for bridging the gap between 40 and 48 kg: Repeat Until Strong.

Training 3-4 times per week, I think he has three options for both volume and intensity, like:
a) Volume: low, medium, high, i.e. 8, 10, or 12 sets for 1H swings // 4, 5, or 6 sets for TGUs per side
b) Intensity: low, medium, high, i.e. mixing 32 & 40, 36 & 44, and 40 & 48 kg (not sure how he came up with this mix)

Following the Delta20 principle you would not repeat the same condition. You could therefore also throw a coin like in the Heads & Tails plan:
Plans for Building Powerful Pushups | StrongFirst

Edit: He is actually mixing 40 and 48 kg at the moment, with ratios of 2:3, 3:2 and 0:5 or so
Edit 2: And he has introduced density as a third parameter.

Today's video: Dr. Mark Cheng - Move Live Feel Better

Please check out an interview with one of my heroes, Dr. Mark Cheng, StrongFirst Senior Certified Instructor, highly skilled martial artist, renowned strength, movement, rehab and prehab expert, founder of Tai Cheng and K3 Combat Movement Systems.

• I-II-III (low volume-medium intensity-high density) one-arm swings -
    48-40-48-48; 10 swings every 45 secs; 80 swings total (sum of left and right).
  • II-III-II (medium volume-high intensity-medium density) get-ups -48-48-48-48-48; 1 get-up every 90 secs; 10 get-ups total (sum of left and right)

Today's pic & quote

weapons.jpg

„There’s a line in the New Testament: ‚the meek shall inherit the earth.‘ It’s in the Sermon on the Mount. ⁣

⁣That line always bothered me.⁣

⁣I thought, no way; that’s not right; meek can’t be the right word…. ⁣

⁣I spent a bunch of time looking at commentaries on that line—looking at the Greek roots, and the Hebrew roots, and trying to figure out what that meant. ⁣

⁣Meek does not mean meek. ⁣

⁣That’s wrong. ⁣

⁣Here’s what it means: those who have weapons and know how to use them, but still keep them sheathed, will inherit the earth. ⁣

⁣Jesus—that’s a lot different, man. It’s a lot better, right? The way it’s normally interpreted is, if you’re so weak that you’re harmless, then things will go well for you. It’s like, no. That’s not right. That can’t be right.“⁣

- Jordan B. Peterson​

@Pavel Macek , I would like your advice on structuring the pull-up session in accordance with the tactical periodization. I'm currently following the Fighter Pull-up Program, and I'm completing week three with the number of sets/reps 12-10-10-8-6. Two more weeks and the program will be completed.
Thus, I'm considering to introduce a more structured plan after FPP in order to improve the RM. My goal is to achieve 20+ reps in one set.
If my new RM will be 16, I'll focus on two factors: Intensity and Volume.

Intensity:
  • High - 14 reps
  • Medium - 11 resp
  • Low - 9
Volume:
  • High - 6
  • Medium - 4
  • Low - 2
The possible combinations are:
  • 14/2
  • 14/4
  • 11/2
  • 11/4
  • 11/6
  • 9/4
  • 9/6
What do you think about it? Should I practice 3 times per week or 4?Any advice would be welcome.

@mikhael

I will suggest something different: original GTG from Pavel's The Naked Warrior_

- after you finish your FPP program, measure you RM
- divide it by 2
- do this half of the max reps every 15 mins+ -
- sometimes longer breaks (hour, more), sometimes less (15-30 mins)
- vary the number of "sets" you do throughout a day - don't count it, make everyday different - big jumps up and down
- practice 2-3 day in a row, then have a day off
- do it for a month, and then retest your RM

@mikhael

I will suggest something different: original GTG from Pavel's The Naked Warrior_

- after you finish your FPP program, measure you RM
- divide it by 2
- do this half of the max reps every 15 mins+ -
- sometimes longer breaks (hour, more), sometimes less (15-30 mins)
- vary the number of "sets" you do throughout a day - don't count it, make everyday different - big jumps up and down
- practice 2-3 day in a row, then have a day off
- do it for a month, and then retest your RM
Roger that.

• II-III-I (medium volume-high intensity-low density) one-arm swings -
    48-48-48-48; 10 swings every 45 secs; 80 swings total (sum of left and right).
  • 1 arm pushups, 5 sets 3 reps

Note: My left forearm (old injury from 2002 or 2003) still hurts a bit, so I skipped the get-ups today.

Great job.
You have that lean,wiry fighter's physique.Could you share any insight into your eating habits--food choices,fasting,etc?Much appreciated--thanks.

Back
Top Bottom