all posts post new thread

Repeat Until Strong.

Today's pic

lift_others-up.jpg

Georges Hébert (1875–1957) was a pioneering physical educator in the French military who developed a system of physical education and training known as „la méthode naturelle“ („Natural Method“), which combined the training of a wide variety of physical capacities with the training of courage and morality.⁣

⁣While an officer in the French Navy prior to the First World War, Hébert was stationed in the town of St. Pierre, on the island of Martinique in the Caribbean Sea. In 1902 the town fell victim to a catastrophic volcanic eruption.⁣

⁣Hébert coordinated the escape and rescue of some seven hundred people from this disaster. ⁣

⁣This experience had a profound effect on him, and reinforced his belief that athletic skill must be combined with courage and altruism. ⁣

⁣He eventually developed this ethos into his personal motto, „Être fort pour être utile“ („Being strong to be useful“).⁣

Today's Thought

storm-sailing.jpg

One of the key principles of Stoic philosophy is so called „dichotomy of control“. Epictetus said: ⁣⁣
⁣⁣⁣⁣
⁣⁣„Of all existing things some are in our power, and others are not in our power“ ⁣⁣
⁣⁣⁣⁣
⁣⁣Hence the study and practice (!) of distinguishing these two groups, focusing on the first group, and ignoring the second. To paraphrase the famous „Serenity Prayer“:⁣⁣
⁣⁣⁣⁣
⁣⁣„May I have the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,⁣⁣
⁣⁣Courage to change the things I can,⁣⁣
⁣⁣And wisdom to know the difference.“⁣⁣

⁣⁣⁣⁣
⁣⁣To stay with the sea voyage image, let me add second important point:⁣
⁣⁣
⁣“If one does not know to which port one is sailing, no wind is favorable.” – Seneca ⁣⁣
⁣⁣⁣⁣
⁣⁣Modern psychology confirms:⁣⁣
⁣⁣⁣⁣
⁣⁣“You must determine where you are going in your life, because you cannot get there unless you move in that direction. Random wandering will not move you forward. It will instead disappoint and frustrate you and make you anxious and unhappy and hard to get along with (and then resentful, and then vengeful, and then worse).” ⁣⁣
⁣⁣…⁣⁣
⁣⁣“Don’t underestimate the power of vision and direction. These are irresistible forces, able to transform what might appear to be unconquerable obstacles into traversable pathways and expanding opportunities. Strengthen the individual. Start with yourself. Take care with yourself. Define who you are. Refine your personality. Choose your destination and articulate your Being. As the great nineteenth-century German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche so brilliantly noted, “He whose life has a why can bear almost any how.”
– Jordan B. Peterson

Today's practice: Beyond [Timeless] Sinister
  • Goblet squats: 44-56-44-; 3 sets of 5, 15 squats total
  • One-arm swings: 44-56-44-56-44; 10 sets of 10, 100 swings total (sum of left and right).
  • Get-ups: 48-40-48-48 ; 8 sets of 1, 8 get-ups total (sum of left and right)

• One-arm swings: 44-56-44-56-44-56; 12 sets of 10, 120 swings total (sum of left and right).
  • Get-ups: 40-48-40-48-40-48 ; 12 sets of 1, 12 get-ups total (sum of left and right)

Pavel, I'm currently following the Vodka and Pickles plan, and there are four sessions remain to complete it. But I will not have access to heavier lift than 128kg for next few days (whole week). Those 128 are max what I could lift at home (five bells and a bar put together), and it is 70-75% of my RM.
To stay on the plan I'm considering:
  • Heavy Swings
  • Practice 70-75% of RM Deadlift
  • Mix of the two
I would like to finish the plan and go with Vodka and Pickles II. One of my goals is to lift 200kg and my RM is 170.

What would you suggest?

Pavel, I'm currently following the Vodka and Pickles plan, and there are four sessions remain to complete it. But I will not have access to heavier lift than 128kg for next few days (whole week). Those 128 are max what I could lift at home (five bells and a bar put together), and it is 70-75% of my RM.
To stay on the plan I'm considering:
  • Heavy Swings
  • Practice 70-75% of RM Deadlift
  • Mix of the two
I would like to finish the plan and go with Vodka and Pickles II. One of my goals is to lift 200kg and my RM is 170.

What would you suggest?

Mikhael, stay with the DL.

• One-arm swings: 44-56-44-56-44; 10 sets of 10, 100 swings total (sum of left and right).
  • Get-ups: 48-48-48-48-48 ; 10 sets of 1, 10 get-ups total (sum of left and right)

Today's pic & quote

be-strong.jpg

„You’re not just anyone. One day, you’re going to have to make a choice. ⁣⁣You’ll have to decide what kind of man you want to grow up to be. Whoever that man is, good character or bad, he’s going to change the world.⁣⁣ You have to choose who the man will be, Clark.“ ⁣⁣

⁣⁣- Jonathan Kent, in: Man of Steel, 2013. ⁣⁣​

Have only done S&S a few times this round, but timeless solid is no struggle. Thinking about going for timeless sinister - and that’s why I asked what program you run.

Have only done S&S a few times this round, but timeless solid is no struggle. Thinking about going for timeless sinister - and that’s why I asked what program you run.

Excellent! Please meet Solid (timed standard), shoot a video, send it to me, and I will send you program that will lead you very smoothly from timed Solid to timeless Sinister.

Back
Top Bottom