all posts post new thread

Repeat Until Strong.

Hello Pavel M. I see your great progress on SS in moving to the 36 kg bell for all your swings and some TGUs. I have a few questions if you don't mind.
1. Did you "own" the simple goal on swings and TGUs before working in the 36 KG?
2. About how long do your SS sessions take now?

Asking because I am also slowly working in the 36 KGs although I did not meet the simple goal yet.
For SS practices where I do this, I ignore the clock. Then when I do SS with the 32, my times keep reducing naturally due to not needing as long rest periods. For ex, can confidently do the 10 TGUs with the 32 in 10 minutes now.
Thank you

@adirik

1. Yes, of course. Basically I am never out of shape, to reach and "own" the Simple goals took me relatively short time, month and half or two.

2. Something around 20 minutes - sometimes a bit longer, sometimes shorter. I personally don't need long breaks when doing swings, breathing is alright, I just have short rest periods to make sure all swings are 100% crisp and explosive. Same goes for get-ups - I usually to left, right, left, right, left, right, than have a short break, and than left-right and left-right.

Everybody will progress on different rate. My recommendation: Take your time, don't rush, don't compare yourself with others, patiently work on the "skill of strength", own the "Simple" goals, and you will be doing fine.

Last edited:
Today's practice:

S&S

- prying goblet squat, 3x5, 24 kg
- one-arm swings, 10x10 with 36.
- get-ups, 5x1 with 32. Better than yesterday.

Note: If you are wondering about strength and conditioning of German navy - check below a vintage newspaper clip I have found. If i am not mistaken, the photo is from 1912.

sea.jpg

@Pavel Macek , thanks for your reply and I think your recommendations are spot on. I was pretty excited to be able to use the 36 even without owning the simple goal yet, so will remain patient and enjoy the ride!

@Shawn Reed thank you, happy you like it. I am actually doing a kind of research about kettlebell lifting back in the old days. I may write a lengthy article or even a small ebook about it.

@adirik To paraphrase the well know saying: "If at first you don't succeed try doing what Pavel told you to do the first time." Been there, done that - now I am doing what Pavel and other masters and my teachers say right away. Not taking the shortcut saves a lot of time.

Yesterday: Rest, lots of stretching.

Today's practice:

S&S

- get-ups, 5x1 with 32. OK.

Note: Below is a photo of me as kid with my favorite toys. Other kids dressed as Superman, I dressed as Eugene Sandow. Just kidding - nice pic though, right?
me.jpg

Today's practice:

S&S

- one-arm swings, 10x10 with 36. I am very happy with the swings - the grip is strong, swings crisp, breathing and heart perfectly fine, abs fire like crazy.
- get-ups, 5x1 with 28. I took a lighter weight and worked in certain phases of my GUs.

Quote for today:

“Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.”

- Mark Rippetoe

Today's practice:

S&S

- get-ups, 5x1 with 32.

Today's picture: From highly recommended book Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less by Greg McKeown.

this.jpg

Monday - traveling. Longer than expected, as our car broke in Austria. I came home on Tuesday at 6 AM - and taught a lesson for our MMA fighters at 9 AM (check out the pic below). The rest of the days - sleeping, plus MMA and Practical Hung Kyun lesson.

Today back to work, easy practice:

- one-arm swings, 10x10 with 32.
- get-ups, 5x1 with 28.

fightpro.jpg

Yesterday: Rest, lots of stretching.

Today's practice:

S&S

- get-ups, 5x1 with 32. OK.

Note: Below is a photo of me as kid with my favorite toys. Other kids dressed as Superman, I dressed as Eugene Sandow. Just kidding - nice pic though, right?
View attachment 86

Great photo!

Today's practice:

- get-ups, 5x1 with 32.
- easy stretching

- MMA
- Practical Hung Kyun

Today's photo:

A page from the Milo Bar Bell System: The Second Progressive Course of Instructions, 1946 (first edition was probably much much earlier).

bell.jpg

PS: Going to pick up David Iron Tamer Whitley, Master SFG, and his lovely wife Mandy at the airport. Life is good.

Last edited:
Great photo - loaded barbell for dlifts and kbells go together.....like vodka and pickles

Haven't been on this forum for a while.

Enjoying your log!

I learnt Hung Gar when I was much younger back in my home town Hong Kong before but only got serious a decade later in Melbourne with Lam Family Hung Gar teacher Sifu Henry Araneda. Agree with the similarities b/w Hung Gar and Hard Style training. :)

Nice Five Animal forms! Unfortunately I had to stop doing martial arts due to injuries, family and other commitments (also, Sifu Henry has focused on teaching Wing Chung nowadays.)

Hopefully one day there will be a UFC fighter with some Hung Gar flavours, like the Hung Gar version of Machida. :)

Sensational two day workshop with Iron Tamer in Prague is finished. Pavel, thank you very much for hosting Tamer with his wife and organizing two really mind changing and inspiring days!
Joo

@Toby , welcome back to the forum! Who was your Hung Ga teacher in Hong Kong?

@joo thank you for your kind words. Keep in touch!

Tamer has left to Italy to teach at SFG2 Cert, time to rest and back to the usual business. Not much time to write in the last 7 days, luckily lots of time to learn!

Today's practice:

- one-arm swings, 10x10 with 32.
- get-ups, 5x1 with 28.
- easy stretching

- MMA
- Practical Hung Kyun

Today's photo:

- Iron Tamer visiting our KB5 Gym - he actually led a training session there. You can imagine how happy my guys (and me as well) were. I will wrote more later.

tamer-sf.jpg

Today's practice:

- get-ups, 5x1 with 28.
- easy mobility & stretching

- MMA+ Practical Hung Kyun

- teaching Original Strength workshop, 5 hours

Today's practice:

- get-ups, 5x1 with 32. Felt very solid.
- easy mobility & stretching, following @Steve Freides tips.

The rest of the day - reading the horrible news, drinking tea and thinking where are we going. To people of good will - stay strong.

Today's practice:

- get-ups, 5x1 with 32.
- stretching. Tactical frog progressions feel much, much better.

Today's picture:

"A worthy goal would be to strictly press a kettlebell equal to half your bodyweight and achieve the splits."

- Pavel at Hardstyle Ventura​

Flexible Steel.
fs.jpg

Back
Top Bottom