all posts post new thread

Repeat Until Strong.

Today's practice:

- prying goblet squat, 3x5, 24 kg
- one-arm swings, 10x10 - 40, 40, 40, 40, 40 - solid, happy.
- get-ups, 5x1 - 32, 32, 32, 32, 32 - first get-up told me today is not the get-up day, so I went light in all sets. My hips are a bit sore from yesterday's stretching.

- MMA - mainly standup fighting
- Practical Hung Kyun - mainly combatives kicking techniques

Today's photo: Vintage barbell get-up.

gu.jpg

Today's practice:

- intensive stretching session.

I am working on some stuff regarding Chinese martial arts. I have found an interesting saying from our tradition (Southern Chinese Hung Ga Kyun), written by Grand Master Lam Sai Wing in his "Taming the Tiger in Gung Pattern Manual", regarding the combat applications of the system:

"The stronger person will win, the weaker person will lose" (Lek Daai Je Jak Sing Lek Yeuk Je Baai 力大者則勝力弱者敗).

Below is a photo of Grand Master Lam. He was freaking strong. My style, Practical Hung Kyun (link), pays a lot of attention on strength and conditioning, without neglecting the soft aspects. As our Hardstyle.
lam-sai-wing.jpg

Today's practice:

- one-arm swings, 10x10 - 40, 40, 40, 40, 40
- get-ups, 5x1 - 32, 32, 32, 32, 32

Extremely busy day, luckily I have done my S&S in the late evening. Better later and with lighter weights than skip the practice.

- one-arm swings, 10x10 - 32, 32, 32, 32, 32

Your last video is... outstanding. The set up is the thread on which every rep lines/builds up on. Great teaching until the bell is parked....fast and loose...

Your last video is... outstanding. The set up is the thread on which every rep lines/builds up on. Great teaching until the bell is parked....fast and loose...

Thank you Harald.

Lesson from SFL - Doc Hartle, Master SFG/SFL Chief Instructor is also called "Doctor Setup". After my SFL, I started to pay attention to my setup a lot - a lot, and not only in barbell lifting, but kettlebell and bodyweight training as well. Fabio Zonin said this year in Italy: "Your first repetition is a setup." And would like to add - your last repetition is setting the bell down.

sfl-strongfirst-barbell-martial-arts-03.jpg

If you like you can read my SFL report here: Power to the People: StrongFirst SFL Barbell. Since that time I have assisted at SFL twice, and next week again, in London - can't wait to see Doc Hartle again and learn more. Doc and Pavel did an awesome job with SFL.

As for Fast & Loose, I love it, and I have been always instinctively doing it. We have a similar set of exercises in Chinese martial arts, called Fong Sung Gung in Cantonese, "Art of Looseness". Stuff like Fast & Loose and Super-Joint are in my opinion the secret weapons of StrongFirst.

OK, Today's practice:

- easy stretching

Today's practice :

- one-arm swings, 10x10 - 32, 32, 32, 32, 32
- get-ups, 5x1 - 32, 32, 32, 32, 32-
- MMA + Practical Hung Kyun
- easy stretching

Yesterday:

Teaching a half day kettlebell workshop.

Today's practice:

- get-ups, 5x1 - 32, 36, 32, 32, 32
- mobility and stretching

Today's quote:

Each training session of Hermann's contained a mixed programme of kettlebell, dumb-bell and barbell lifting. Sometimes a
workout would also include the supporting feats. For instance, hen Hermann trained three times per week, he might in the first training session give preference to kettlebell exercises, but he would also include barbell and dumb-bell lifts too. The second session might see the emphasis place on dumb-bell training with not so much on kettlebell and barbell work, and the third workout would have the emphasis placed on barbell work with just a little kettlebell and dumb-bell work included in the session. During his open-air training periods at the Germania Bath, his workouts would also include putting the shot, weight-throwing, jumping and swimming in addition to working out with the weights. lt would he fair to say that kettle weight training played a very large part in Görner's workouts.

- Edgar Mueller, Goerner the Mighty, p. 84-85.

Today's photo:

This grainy photo, taken on 8 June 1913, caught Goerner just as he is finishing a Right Hand Swing with two kettlebells.The total weight was reported as 170 German Pfunds or 187.39 American pounds. It was taken on the “sporting beach”at a large, open air swimming pool known as the Germania-Bath in Leipzig. On the “beach” adjoining the pool were anassortment of barbells, dumbells, kettlebells, and block weights alongside parallel bars, chinning bars and other kindsof training apparatus. During the summer, Goerner reportedly trained on the beach at the Germania Bath twice a week.

- Iron Game History, May 2007, p. 29.

12342868_1689399551278484_3350536768306214706_n.jpg

Either in our martial arts gym, or in our strength & conditioning gym, or at home.

Yesterday: Rest day.

Today's practice:

- get-ups, 5x1 - 32, 36, 36, 32, 32
- mobility and stretching

Last edited:
Sorry Pavel, I meant in the morning, afternoon, or evening?

@HUNTER1313 most of the time in the afternoon, around 4 PM, before I go to teach combatives or strength & conditioning. Occasionally in the morning, occasionally in the evening.

....and preparing to leave tomorrow to England to assist Doc Michael Hartle at StrongFirst SFL Barbell cert in Great Britain.

Manual, notebook, pen, T-shirt, shorts, some cash, basically all I need - carry on luggage only. When in doubt, simplify.

IMG_4182.JPG

Travel day, mobility at the hotel, and dinner with Doc Hartle. Good to see him again, can't wait to learn more during next three days at SFL!

Back
Top Bottom