all posts post new thread

Kettlebell repeat until...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Harald Motz

Level 8 Valued Member
As I am three years and three months now into the repeat method which is a pillar of A+A training.

For almost four weeks now I am seriously into double bell work. My lift of choice is the clean & pushpress and/or thruster (clean & squat & pushpress). I found that singles are great for gaining momentum and accumulating volume in a session and the weeks. There are many opportunities to be getting a great set up and improve the lift. Also I found that I seem to recover well on a daily basis surely in part because of my extended snatch experience combined with easy aerobic work. A nice addition is, that this double bell work give my hands a great rest from snatching heavy single bells for volume.

an example of how a session looks like:
2019-02-25 17.46.59.png

today I did my first repeat session with 2x48kg, which is well over my bodyweight @ 85kg:
2019-02-28 14.03.02.png
the hr monitor is very good tool to come down to a baseline to "see" when repeat again, although it is not mandatory as "stillness" of breathing is the built in indicator for being repeat-ready. These graphs illustrate nicely, how I do my training-work: power, strength and endurance. Recover, rinse and repeat until...

@Harald Motz I've started 1r clean and push press, alternating sessions with snatches, following your lead (or stalking :).
I've noticed a big power improvement in the snatch off the back of only a couple of C&PP sessions. And as you mention it gives the hands a nice break from snatches. I try to get 2 session of each in a week.
Loving your work :)

The same here.

@Harald Motz I was wondering why you would need such long rests to recover from a single rep - then I watched the videos - beautiful control and extraordinary time under tension - inspiring.

Just one question - from these results do you think this would be a good training modality for heavy get-ups? The time under tension should be similar.

I've noticed a big power improvement in the snatch off the back of only a couple of C&PP sessions. And as you mention it gives the hands a nice break from snatches. I try to get 2 session of each in a week.
I can say the same with regards to snatching. I want to spend the next months months with double pushpress and singe bell snatching and I am considering some double cleans for 3-5 reps to put into the mix. Currently I really like doing thruster singles, a great move as it contains a pull, squat and a press, additionally this is a ballistic and grind combination.

Hello,

@Harald Motz
Do you train that way (double bell work) everyday, in addition to an aerobic work ?

Could you explain (even in only a few words) your programming ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

I was wondering why you would need such long rests to recover from a single rep - then I watched the videos - beautiful control and extraordinary time under tension - inspiring.
a clean & pushpress lasts around 12 seconds, a thruster around 15 or so. Recovery depends on the weight and time of day, overall state of rest, temperature…

Just one question - from these results do you think this would be a good training modality for heavy get-ups? The time under tension should be similar.
repeats in my opinion work for any exercise so then even for a get up. It is a matter of weight selection and resting long enough. Although a get up is usually 30-40 seconds. To reduce the prolonged demands one may try only the up portion of the get up. Doing great get ups for around 30 minutes why not? The thing is to repeat the effort while minimizing fatigue.

Do you train that way (double bell work) everyday, in addition to an aerobic work ?

Could you explain (even in only a few words) your programming ?

Kind regards,

In the last four weeks I do double bell work around 4 times single snatches 2 times per week.
For repeat work 20-45 min then aerobic work for 20-45min. For me the rower is perfect, as it is so easy on my body and I never had any issues with my back. I use the C2 most of the time as a recovery tool which builds up beneficial endurance adaptations. For the repeats it is not how many reps can I get into the time frame but doing strong reps, sometimes recovery is better sometimes recovery good also. For the aerobic work I go usually 120-130bpm don't care how slow I am. Just knowing that I do good things to me with that and focusing on breathing pattern is a pleasure I can enjoy. I think seriously without easy aerobics I could not do that training on a regular and sustainable basis.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom