all posts post new thread

Barbell Replacing deadlifts with single leg deadlifts

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I wave The load:
Light day Bodyweight only slow and controlled to improve balance. medium day 16-24kg for 5R/L for sets of 3-5 and heavily day closer to either dbl bells or modify with kickstand deadlifts if I am wanting to load bodyweight or heavier than.

Hello,

@Karen Smith
When you do SLDL with a load, could you please tell us how much weight do you use ?

Thanks again for all your great info !

Kind regards,

Pet'
[/QUOTE

The biggest problem for most is balance and the only way to improve that balance is to work what you are not good at. If you haven’t ever really had them in your program I would recommend doing them and doing them often. The better you get at balance the heavier load you can do. As I mention I do unloaded slow and controlled demos at our certification and was able to PR my SLDL with 135lb on the bar while weighting the same. And I’ve been able to maintain at a minimum 1.8 x bodyweight without doing many heavy loads. I am positive I could get to 2x BW Deadlift using these methods. Then if I selected to go for a bigger PR, I might add in some bar work for grips/wedging etc.
Personally barbell dead Aggravate an old back injury so for me it is risk vs reward. SLDL are my choice to stay well balanced and pain free.

Last edited:
There are many other good assistance movements for the deadlift.
Im not saying the SLDL is not a good movement but as far as getting good return on an assistance movement to help your deadlift there are others depending on where your DL weakness lies.
Here's a few, rack pulls,zercher lifts from pins,good mornings with various type bars(cambered or SSB).
If you have a weakness on one side or the other in the glutes or hamstrings the SLDL is a good option to strengthen it.

The biggest problem for most is balance and the only way to improve that balance is to work what you are not good at. If you haven’t ever really had them in your program I would recommend doing them and doing them often. The better you get at balance the heavier load you can do. As I mention I do unloaded slow and controlled demos at our certification and was able to PR my SLDL with 135lb on the bar while weighting the same. And I’ve been able to maintain at a minimum 1.8 x bodyweight without doing many heavy loads. I am positive I could get to 2x BW Deadlift using these methods. Then if I selected to go for a bigger PR, I might add in some bar work for grips/wedging etc.
Personally barbell dead Aggravate an old back injury so for me it is risk vs reward. SLDL are my choice to stay well balanced and pain free.

You have some of the best articles & videos on the SLDL.
I think I needed these in my training a long time ago when I had rib flair & was struggling to hinge back into my right hip. Which I eventually tore my ACL on.
I have started using a workout that has them so I have started loading it but also do BW only ones regularly as part of my mobility work.

Really feeling certain muscles waking up & my hinge bilaterally is feeling way better.

Thanks for your tutorials.

The Conventional Deadlift

It is definitely one of the best exercises for the posterior chain.

Good Mornings

However, the Good Mornings rivals the Deadlift and can be substituted.

The Deadlift and Good Morning have the same Ascending Strength Curve; hard in the bottom and easier at the top; the movement pattern is essentially the same.

The forward lean in the Good Morning increases torque. The farther away the bar is from the body's "Center of Gravity, COG" the greater the bar weight is magnified.

That means that a somewhat lighter Good Morning load can equate to a similar heavy loaded Deadlift.

A Different Approach To The Deadlift
Bill Starr

Olympic_Lifter_Bill_Starr.jpg

The late Bill Starr (former Olympic Lifter, Powerlifter and Strength Coach) was one of the pioneers in the strength field. Starr's book, The Strongest Shall Survive, training protocol is the foundation for Football Players and other athletes. It is the foundation of Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength training method.

Starr broke the American Deadlift Record (circa 1968) by combining Heavy Good Morning with Power Cleans. A fellow Olympic Lifter, Ernie Pickett came close to the American Deadlift Record in the Heavyweight Class with Heavy Good Mornings and Power Cleans.

"The No Deadlift, Deadlift Program"
The No Deadlift Program to Improve Your Deadlift

The foundation of this article is built on Starr's Good Morning and Power Clean protocol, as a means of increasing the Deadlift.

With that said, some Deadlift Technique Training is necessary for developing the skill.

Kenny Croxdale

That's a really interesting article. I primarily build my deadlift by just low-bar squatting. It occurs to me that I'm only squatting 10# less than I ever have. Yet, my dead-lift isn't nearly as strong as it was. When I dead-lifted 475# x 5, I was also doing clean-pulls/Speed-DLs. So, I think that article is dead on about how important heavy speed work is for your dead-lift.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom