all posts post new thread

Nutrition Researchers Point to the Optimal Protein Dose, Timing & Distribution to Maximize Muscle

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kenny Croxdale

Level 7 Valued Member
At the bottom is the Cliff Notes. Let me add to that.

1) The amount of quality protein consumed per meal is important; not just the amount per day. That because a certain amount of Leucine is necessary to trigger the muscle building, anabolic effect.

Research (Dr Donald Layman) found that the majority of Americans only have one meal a day (Dinner) that provide them enough protein/Leucine to trigger the anabolic effect.

Thus, one of the reasons people lose muscle as they age is that they are starving muscle; not consuming enough protein/Leucine per meal to maintain muscle mass, let alone increase it.

2) The minimal amount of Leucine necessary is age dependent. Younger individuals in their 20's need approximately 2.5 grams of Leucine. Older individuals need over 3.0 grams of Leucine to elicit the same anabolic effect.

3) Refractory Period

It's what I term the "Sponge Effect". Muscle Protein Synthesis is optimized when, metaphorically speaking, muscle is like a dry sponge; it is more receptive to Leucine, it soaks up Luecine that promotes the anabolic effect.

This sponge like effect occurs when the "Muscle Sponge" dries out. That occurs when meals are spaced out every 4 - 6 hours.

The exception to the rule appears to be that Leucine or BCAA triggers a bump in mTOR when taken an hour and a half after a meal and before the next meal.

4) Higher Leucine Levels in Ketosis

Leucine is a Ketogenic Amino Acid.

It cannot be cannot converted to glucose. It can only be converted to ketones.

Research, Dr Volek and Dr Stephen Phinney, M.D, PhD found Leucine Levels remain elevated when on a Ketogenic Diet.

The body realizes it has a plethora of ketones from fat; it doesn't need to utilize Leucine for ketones. It realized to survive that it needs to maintain muscle mass, which is driven in part by Leucine.

5) Glycogenic Amino's

Some glucose is required by the body on a Keto Diet. If needed it is produced from what very few carbohydrates are consumed on a Ketogenic Diet.

If it needs more glucose, it is produced from Glycolytic Amino's and Amino's that are both, Glycolytic and Ketogenic, that can be converted to Glycogen or Ketones, dependent on need.

Glucose is also derived from glycerol, the backbone of Triglycerides.

6) Vegan Protein

Vegan Proteins are sub par. To obtain enough Leucine, you need to substantially increase the amount of Vegan Protein in your diet.

You need to consume around 29 gram of quality protein (meat/dairy) to obtain the minimum of Leucine. That amounts to having a job where you make the minimum amount of money to pay your bills; you are living pay check to pay check, only surviving. F... that.

Vegan's need to consume around 40 gram of vegetable protein to obtain the same minimum of Leucine of those consuming 29 gram of quality protein (meats/dairy).

With that said, some Vegan Protein have higher Leucine content. Adding a quality Vegan Protein Powder Drink to a meal (Pea, Soy, Rice) is one solution. Chart below.

Leucine concentrations of various protein sources. Differentiation is made between plant-and animal-based protein sources. Human muscle is provided as a reference standard. The dashed line provides a comparison of the protein source most abundant in leucine (i.e., whey) with the various other protein sources.

7) The Exception to The Rule

intermittent Fasting is one of the exceptions to the rule. The body primarily utilizes ketones during Fasting. In doing so, it preserves muscle mass (higher Leucine levels are maintained) while increasing lypolysis (fat burning).

8) Low Deficit Calorie Carbohydrate Meals

Research shows that Low Deficit Carbohydrate Meals are catabolic; a greater loss in muscle mass occurs compared to Fasting, where muscle mass is preserved. Fasting Research show the muscle mass is preserved up to 72 hours. After that, catabolism of muscle mass begin.

1) Since the diet is primarily composed of carbohydrates in a Low Deficit Carbohydrate Diet; you are Glucose Dependent.

2) It is easier to break down muscle (gluconeogenesis) to glucose than glycerol in Low Deficit Calorie Carbohydrate Diet than from triglycerides; which make sense. Why work any harder than you have to?

Researchers Point to the Optimal Protein Dose, Timing & Distribution to Maximize Muscle

Cliff Notes Summary
  1. Muscle protein synthesis is an anabolic response that occurs in response to protein feeding and resistance training. On the protein front, it specifically relates to leucine intake. To maximize the MPS response, ~2.5g of leucine is required. This is known as the “leucine threshold”.
  2. To maximize the muscle protein synthesis response over the course of a day, it seems that 3–4 evenly spaced meals that surpass the leucine threshold is a prudent strategy.
  3. A meal containing 0.4 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight (g/kg BW) from a high-quality protein source will allow an individual to hit the leucine threshold. For most people this is somewhere between 20–40g.
  4. The best sources of protein for this purpose are animal proteins (particularly whey protein) due to their high branched-chain amino acid composition. Plant-based protein sources will mean a higher protein intake is needed to hit the required level of leucine.
  5. When MPS is “spiked” in response to a protein feeding, it will drop back to baseline within 2–3 hours. This drop will occur regardless of whether protein or amino acids continue to be fed and leucine remains high. This is potentially due to high demand of ATP required by cells for MPS (i.e. MPS is an energy-expensive process and the cell will stop MPS to conserve energy).
  6. MPS is only a proxy measure for muscle hypertrophy, not an exact correlate. Net muscle protein balance (MPS vs. muscle protein breakdown) matters more. And further, there are many other factors than influence actual hypertrophy outside of MPS and MPB.
  7. Of all the macro nutrients, it seems that timing and distribution (versus simply total daily intake) is most important when it comes to protein. However, there are pragmatic examples of scenarios where we may not theoretically maximize MPS, yet still preserve and/or build plenty of muscle mass. For example, daily intermittent fasting.

Last edited:
Can you elaborate on IF? I do IF and usually just eat a 1lb ribeye every day. I have some body fat to lose and it’s going away and my muscles are definitely getting more defined (doing S and S). Does IF/OMAD/ketosis make taking in more protein at one time as effective as spacing it out or does it still remain sort of sub optimal?

Some good info related to Mr. Croxdale's post on the Peak Human podcast, #31 with Jeff Volek,#57 with Ben Bikman, and many others.

I do IF and usually just eat a 1lb ribeye every day. I have some body fat to lose and it’s going away and my muscles are definitely getting more defined (doing S and S).

"If It Ain't Broke..."

If that is working for you, stick with it until it doesn't work.

With that said, ....

"Everything Works But Nothing Works Forever"

At some point you will adapt to you lower caloric intake (The General Adaptation Syndrome).

When adaption occurs, progress stops.

When adaptation happens and you stop making progress, you need to change something.

The Matador Study

This study reinforces Bodybuilder's Bulking/Cutting Diets that has been used for decades; Calorie Rotation.

The study determined that the body learns and adapts in around two weeks.

The MATADOR Study determined that alternating caloric intake down for two week then back up to maintenance for two weeks, ,maintained muscle mass while maximizing fat loss.

Drs John Ivy and Layne Norton

Independent of each other, they came to the same conclusion.

Decreasing calorie intake approximately 20% ensured muscle loss was minimized and fat loss was maximized.

With that said, one of the issue with Bodybuilder it they dramatically increase calories for Bulking. That dramatic increase increases their body fat.

When Cutting, they dramatically decrease their calorie intake. That dramatically decreases their muscle mass.

Another reason weight loss stops is that you are...

Downsizing

Body Fat as well as Muscle require energy/calories to operate.

Losing weight means your body mass is lower; requiring fewer calories.

Think of it like cutting expenses at your house by getting rid of cable and eating out less at restaurants. You have more money at the end of your month; you have more in your bank saving account.

The same is true with losing weight. With Downsizing, you have cut your daily/monthly calorie expenses; you have more in your "Fat Bank Saving Account".

Does IF/OMAD/ketosis make taking in more protein at one time as effective as spacing it out or does it still remain sort of sub optimal?

OMAD

Having one meal a day is a dramatic drop in your caloric intake.

At some point, you are going to stop making progress on OMAD, regardless of what your consuming.

When that happens, you have basically two options.

1) Decrease your caloric intake even more. That's not realistically feasible on one meal a day.

2) As the MATADOR Study demonstrates, increase you calorie intake for a few weeks, then drop it for two weeks; keep alternating your calorie intake.

Doing so, amount to taking one step back followed by two steps forward; you most like gain a little weight when you increase your calories. Then when you you decrease your calorie intake, you should lose the weight you have gained and more.

Yo-Yo Dieting

This term is usually used to identify individuals who go on a extreme low calorie diet that is not realistic, nor maintainable.

They eventually go off the low calorie diet and gain back the weight plus more.

The reason they do, as you know, is that their metabolic rate has decreased. This magnifies their weight gain.

With that said, The MATADOR Diet is a well constructed "Yo-Yo Weight Loss Diet".

An interesting book that came out on that was...

The Rotation Diet

Dr Martin Katahn (Psychologist) wrote the book based on his experience.

Like many, he went on a ultra low calorie diet. Stopped making lowing weight. Gave up for about a month.

Then rededicated himself to the diet. In doing so, he lost what he'd gain and more.

Katahn found Rotating Calories was one of the keys.

Now the butt. The issue with Ktahn's book is that his calorie recommendation was absurd; dropping down to 800 calories at day.

Being a Psychologist doesn't mean you are a Nutritionist. Most individual need to consume around 1200 calories a day to obtain enough nutrients.

mTOR

When mTOR is turned on, muscle mass is maintained and/or increased.

It is turned by...

1) 3 - 4 meals a day with the right amount of Leucine/quality protein and calories.

2) Resistance Training Exercise triggers mTor, as well.

AMP-k

When AMP-k is turned on, fat mass is being burned.

1) AMP-k is turned on with Fasting.

2) Aerobic Exercise turn on AMP-k.

The See-Saw Effect

Think of mTOR as being on one side of a See-Saw and AMP-k on the opposite.

When mTOR is up AMP-k is down. Consuming food, especially enough Leucine trigger the anabolic muscle buidling mTOR effect.

When AMP-k is up, mTOR is down, AMP=k trigger the fat burning effect.

Last edited:
"If It Ain't Broke..."

If that is working for you, stick with it until it doesn't work.

With that said, ....

"Everything Works But Nothing Works Forever"

At some point you will adapt to you lower caloric intake (The General Adaptation Syndrome).

When adaption occurs, progress stops.

When adaptation happens and you stop making progress, you need to change something.

The Matador Study

This study reinforces Bodybuilder's Bulking/Cutting Diets that has been used for decades; Calorie Rotation.

The study determined that the body learns and adapts in around two weeks.

The MATADOR Study determined that alternating caloric intake down for two week then back up to maintenance for two weeks, ,maintained muscle mass while maximizing fat loss.

Drs John Ivy and Layne Norton

Independent of each other, they came to the same conclusion.

Decreasing calorie intake approximately 20% ensured muscle loss was minimized and fat loss was maximized.

With that said, one of the issue with Bodybuilder it they dramatically increase calories for Bulking. That dramatic increase increases their body fat.

When Cutting, they dramatically decrease their calorie intake. That dramatically decreases their muscle mass.

Another reason weight loss stops is that you are...

Downsizing

Body Fat as well as Muscle require energy/calories to operate.

Losing weight means your body mass is lower; requiring fewer calories.

Think of it like cutting expenses at your house by getting rid of cable and eating out less at restaurants. You have more money at the end of your month; you have more in your bank saving account.

The same is true with losing weight. With Downsizing, you have cut your daily/monthly calorie expenses; you have more in your "Fat Bank Saving Account".

OMAD

Having one meal a day is a dramatic drop in your caloric intake.

At some point, you are going to stop making progress on OMAD, regardless of what your consuming.

When that happens, you have basically two options.

1) Decrease your caloric intake even more. That's not realistically feasible on one meal a day.

2) As the MATADOR Study demonstrates, increase you calorie intake for a few weeks, then drop it for two weeks; keep alternating your calorie intake.

Doing so, amount to taking one step back followed by two steps forward; you most like gain a little weight when you increase your calories. Then when you you decrease your calorie intake, you should lose the weight you have gained and more.

Yo-Yo Dieting

This term is usually used to identify individuals who go on a extreme low calorie diet that is not realistic, nor maintainable.

They eventually go off the low calorie diet and gain back the weight plus more.

The reason they do, as you know, is that their metabolic rate has decreased. This magnifies their weight gain.

With that said, The MATADOR Diet is a well constructed "Yo-Yo Weight Loss Diet".

An interesting book that came out on that was...

The Rotation Diet

Dr Martin Katahn (Psychologist) wrote the book based on his experience.

Like many, he went on a ultra low calorie diet. Stopped making lowing weight. Gave up for about a month.

Then rededicated himself to the diet. In doing so, he lost what he'd gain and more.

Katahn found Rotating Calories was one of the keys.

Now the butt. The issue with Ktahn's book is that his calorie recommendation was absurd; dropping down to 800 calories at day.

Being a Psychologist doesn't mean you are a Nutritionist. Most individual need to consume around 1200 calories a day to obtain enough nutrients.

mTOR

When mTOR is turned on, muscle mass is maintained and/or increased.

It is turned by...

1) 3 - 4 meals a day with the right amount of Leucine/quality protein and calories.

2) Resistance Training Exercise triggers mTor, as well.

AMP-k

When AMP-k is turned on, fat mass is being burned.

1) AMP-k is turned on with Fasting.

2) Aerobic Exercise turn on AMP-k.

The See-Saw Effect

Think of mTOR as being on one side of a See-Saw and AMP-k on the opposite.

When mTOR is up AMP-k is down. Consuming food, especially enough Leucine trigger the anabolic muscle buidling mTOR effect.

When AMP-k is up, mTOR is down, AMP=k trigger the fat burning effect.
Thanks for the seriously in depth reply. Much appreciation!

So fast for two weeks (16/8 or OMAD) and basically pulse feed for two weeks (3 or 4 protein meals). I know iron addict was doing 3 or 4 protein meals and then a big meal at night. He'd also have some bcaa about fifteen minutes before the protein shakes. A warrioresque diet. Seemed to be working for him and his followers

@IMayAgainKnowChris
I'm not much of a four meal a day type either so I use BCAA+Glutamine powder pre and post excerise and sometimes prior to sleep to supplement my leucine intake. Seems to work for me. You could also try a good quality whey powder, which is high in leucine.

@Don Fairbanks its crazy that I even have to force myself to eat that ribeye half the time too. Not trying to do a carnivore diet or ignore vegetables just sort of works out that I’m not hungry much and the ribeye has a good protein/fat ratio so it’s sort of a bang for my buck meal.
I’m really curious to see how things shake out with Simple and Sinister. Using the 24kg now and it takes me about 15 minutes for swings and 15 for TGU. I am a skinny fat guy but am leaning out and seeing s ome definite definition a month or more in.
Guessing it’s just the fact that I haven’t exercised in so long coupled with the IF and keto but I see a difference in my physique almost every few days. Curious how long this “honeymoon” phase will last before I have to start dialing things in to make sure I get enough protein to keep gaining muscle, etc...

@Don Fairbanks its crazy that I even have to force myself to eat that ribeye half the time too. Not trying to do a carnivore diet or ignore vegetables just sort of works out that I’m not hungry much and the ribeye has a good protein/fat ratio so it’s sort of a bang for my buck meal.
I’m really curious to see how things shake out with Simple and Sinister. Using the 24kg now and it takes me about 15 minutes for swings and 15 for TGU. I am a skinny fat guy but am leaning out and seeing s ome definite definition a month or more in.
Guessing it’s just the fact that I haven’t exercised in so long coupled with the IF and keto but I see a difference in my physique almost every few days. Curious how long this “honeymoon” phase will last before I have to start dialing things in to make sure I get enough protein to keep gaining muscle, etc...
You've stacked three powerful tools. I'm guessing the positive changes you're noticing will last a good bit

Here are my thoughts.
OMAD- I enjoyed it. I'd just back a bcaa type recovery drink for the ride home after work and have a big meal and maybe a snack. Very convenient. I think it caused some digestion issues and bowel issues. A few people advocate for it. Pavel and Amen Ra. Albeit one is vegetarian and one likes his meat.
16/8- get to eat a bit more. But I find it's a fine line for too much and not enough for the lunch meal. Too much and I'm sluggish. Too little and the eating floodgates are open. I kind of like it, but packing meals sucks, especially in the summer heat. Many advocate for it. Pavel M, Martin Berkhan, rich froning, tom deblass.
Warrior type/iron addict diet- again I like this one, but you're packing protein shakes again and when mixing with water (to try and keep calories down so as not to trigger all the mechanisms of fast breaking) the shakes aren't as yummy as with milk and unless you buy alot of different flavors, vanilla and chocolate get old fast. A couple go this route,Ori, the late Iron Addict/Wes Silvera, I hear Jorgen Reis, and a bodybuilder type guy who's name evades me at this time.
Which is better or best? I don't know. I wish I did. I hate jumping from one to another. I think they all will work, but to me, the general consensus is 18/6 and the warrior protein pulses is the way to go.

I've tried every diet discoverable via Google and I'm still sentimentally attracted to keto, OMAD and intermittent fasting BUT ... I don't think it's an accident that the affluent west has adopted three meals daily as the default position. It's a very comfortable and healthy way of eating and if you focus on good wholesome foods and avoid snacking it's very hard to criticise from any perspective, whether nutrition, metabolism, muscle building, weight control etc

I just read some info from Gabrielle Lyon. She's big on protein. She says three protein meals (or more depending on needs and goals).
I was thinking about two shakes and then a big meal within the eight hour eating window. It'll help keep digestive issues and sluggishness at bay during work hours.

16/8 a few recommend to eat just lunch and dinner. How do you get enough protein in just two meals to balance out the 1gr per lbs? I think three meals would make it easier. Or just add an extra scoop of protein powder.
To piggy back off another thread, I am thinking 16/8 for my two week s&s block and protein pulse for my two week pttp (as I may or may not add in a few back off volume sets).

16/8 a few recommend to eat just lunch and dinner. How do you get enough protein in just two meals to balance out the 1gr per lbs?
Questionable Recommendation

It is questionable if a gram per pound of body weight is necessary for the majority of individuals.

Research indicates that up to 1.6 gram per kilo of body weight is enough in most instances.

Individual on weight loss/calorie restriction diet are one of the exceptions to the rule. Research shows that higher protein intake ensure greater muscle mass is preserved during a weight loss diet.

Protein Per Serving

This information has been posted multiple time on this site.

One of the key factors of ensuring muscle mass is maintained or increased is the amount of protein consumed per meal/serving

Research (Drs. Donald Layman and Layne Norton) that approximately 30 gram of quality protein per serving is required for younger individual to maintain and/or trigger an increase in muscle mass; younger meaning twenty's age group.

Older individual need to consume approximately 40 gram of quality protein per meal.

Quality Protein

This is meats, eggs, and dairy proteins.

Refractory Eating Period

Optimal Muscle Protein Synthesis for increasing muscle mass occurs when meals/serving of are 4 - 6 hour apart.

16/8 Meal Plan Example

The 16/8 Meal Plan and the Refractory Eating Time Periods for three meals a day could work like this.

1) Breakfast: 8 am

2) Lunch: 12 noon

3) Dinner: 4 pm

Gabrielle Lyon

Lyon's is on the same page as Layman (often references him).

Guess I'm screwed then. I have no precise time period to make the 4-6 refractory period work. One scenario would mean no supper with family. And the other scenario has the refractory period only about 3-3.5 hours apart. Ie, time I would be able to eat. 5am, 10am, 1230pm, 345pm, 6pm till bedtime at 9pm. I do my workout "snack" at 430am and 530pm. Oh well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no precise time period to make the 4-6 refractory period work.

Ninja Philosophy

I took an interesting class with the company that I worked for years ago.

One of the interesting principles was basically the Ninja Philosophy.,

It dealt with, "Go with what you've got".

So, don't over think it, comply with what you can; as Nike says, "Just do it."

I try to maintain the Refractory Period. However, if I am hungry after three and a half hour, I eat something.

I do my workout "snack" at 430am and 530pm.
For What Purpose?

What reason do you feel the need for a snack before you work.

The majority of the time, a workout snack isn't necessary.

I meant I split my s&s sessions into swings in the morning and tgu after work

After awhile of 16/8 I switched it up to roughly 20/4 for a few days. I felt great and looked pretty good (the wife says I am looking leaner). But now I'm starting to feel "flat" and not quite as good as I did. Going back to 16/8 and the extra protein. I'm thinking 16/8 during the week and 20/4 on the weekends. Keep the body guessing and hopefully keep the good feelings.
I usually have all my vitamins and fish oil at my last meal of the day. Should I split it up amongst my three meals?

Great info. I have a solid idea of where I would like to take this in my nutrition regimen. However I'm wondering what resource(s) people find the best for determining maintenance calories? Getting this at least close to correct seems important in using a two week decrease of 20% followed by two weeks of maintenance. A number which would need to be recalculated each cycle until near optimal weight. Some of the places I have looked seem to differ by quite a bit on their maintenance calories.

Thanks,

DC

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom