all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Resistance band Kettlebell Swing

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Mikhail

Level 2 Valued Member
I have seen resistance bands used (rarely) with swings. I am in between Simple and Sinister, and am looking for something similar for 8 to 12 weeks.
1. anybody knows a good brand/website to purchase resistance bands for swings
2. any other thoughts on this?
1602037108757.png

1. anybody knows a good brand/website to purchase resistance bands for swings

LiftingLarge.com

Lifting Large has them, as well.

The owner is a former record hold in the Powerlifts and now coaching.

The nice thing is if you have question on items or how to use them, he good about getting back with on the "How to's...

2. any other thoughts on this?

Accommodating Resistance

The purpose, as you probably know, it to increase loading at the top end of the swing.

The issue with individual who perform light to moderate, metaphorically speaking, take their foot off the gas toward the top end of the swing. They allow momentum to carry the Kettlebell higher; the muscles are no longer engaged, working.

Attaching the right strength band to the right size Kettlebell provides a greater overload to the muscle throughout the entire range of the movement; since the higher your pull the bell, the more resistance you have.

For those who have heavier Kettlebells or a Hungarian Core Blaster, a bell that is 30% or more of your body weight ensure that the overload is maintained as you pull the bell higher.

Rack Banded Kettlebell Swings

This is another method in how to use them.

Attaching them to the waist works the muscle from a different angle; changes the exercise.

Changing the exercise (it's like going from a Flat Bench Press to an Incline Bench Press) is one of the keys to increasing strength and muscle mass.

The Rack Banded Kettlebell Swing place more of the work load on the Glutes and Hamstrings.

Rack Banded Kettlebells Swings is a great assistance movements for the top part of the Deadlift, above the knees. To finish the top part of the Deadlift, you need to drive your hip/butt to the bar.

Last edited:
I have JumpStretch brand - at one point a while back, they were about the only choice.

-S-

Accommodating Resistance

The purpose, as you probably know, is to increase loading at the top end of the swing.

The issue with individual who perform light to moderate, metaphorically speaking, take their foot off the gas toward the top end of the swing. They allow momentum to carry the Kettlebell higher; the muscles are no longer engaged, working.

Attaching the right strength band to the right size Kettlebell provides a greater overload to the muscle throughout the entire range of the movement; since the higher your pull the bell, the more resistance you have.

I have to disagree with this.

As the KB swing is a ballistic movement, we should not be trying to push/fight against resistance at the top of the swing. The body is in a poor mechanical position to do so, with the arms being well away from the body.

Enjoy the float.

The real purpose of using a band attached to a kettlebell is to assist in creating overspeed eccentrics that are then absorbed and redirected in the bottom of the swing.

If a judicious partner is available, the spiked swing drill would be similar in it's effects. There too, it would not make sense to try to fight the partner who is spiking the bell, only bad things can happen if you try.

As the KB swing is a ballistic movement, we should not be trying to push/fight against resistance at the top of the swing. The body is in a poor mechanical position to do so, with the arms being well away from the body.

Semi-Ballistic

The Kettlebell Swing is a Sem-Ballistic movement.

A true Ballistic Movement is one in which a body or an object goes airborne: Squat Jumps, Bench Press Throws, Trap Bar Jumps, Olympic Pulls, Olympic Jerks, etc.

Launching The Kettlebell

To turn the Kettlebell Swing in to a Ballistic Movement, the bell need to be launched forward at the apex of the swing.

This ensures that Power is displayed and developed through the full range of the movement. z

This principle applies to all movements.

With that in mind, let look at..

Plyometric Bench Press Throw Training

Another obstacle when training for an explosive bench press (even at lower percentages of 1 RM) is the deceleration of the bar during the lift. "Research has shown as much as 75% of a movement can be devoted to slowing the bar down." (Flannagan, 2001). Elliot et al. (1989) revealed that during 1-RM bench presses, the bar decelerates for the final 24% of the range of motion. At 81% of 1-RM, the bar deceleration occurs during the final 52% of the range of motion. The accompanying deceleration phases result in significantly decreased motor unit recruitment, velocity of movement, power production and compromises the effectiveness of the exercise." (Berry et. al., 2001)

The National Strength and Conditioning Association's Basic Guidelines for the Resistance Training of Athletes states that "performing speed repetitions as fast as possible with light weights (e.g., 30-45% of 1RM) in exercises in which the bar is held on to and must be decelerated at the end of the joint's range of motion (e.g., bench press) to protect the joint does not produce power or speed training but rather teaches the body how to decelerate, or slow down. If the load can be released into the air (i.e., the bar can be let go at the end of the range of motion), the negative effects are eliminated. Here is a situation in which the medicine ball became a rediscovered tool for upper-body power and plyometrics." (Pearson et. al., 2000)

The real purpose of using a band attached to a kettlebell is to assist in creating overspeed eccentrics that are then absorbed and redirected in the bottom of the swing.

Banded Kettlebell Swings

One of the benefits of the Banded Kettlebell Swing is that increases Eccentric Loading/Overspeed Eccentric.

The increased Eccentric Loading, increases the Stretch Reflex; which elicits and develops more Power out of the hole.

The Accommodating Resistance of the Bands increases the loading at the top of the movement. To keep the bell ascending, you must continue the muscle contraction in pulling the bell up.

Allowing the bell to float, disengage the muscle; they are no longer contracting.

Also, the higher you pull a Banded Kettlebell, the greater Eccentric Loading.

The Band has a Stretch Reflex response. was well. The more you stretch the band, the greater is accentuates the Eccentric Action; magnifies the Overspeed Eccentric Component.

Accommodating Resistance

The attachment of Band and Chain or both to Squats, Bench Press/Pressing Movements, Deadlifts, as well as Kettlebell Swing ensures the muscles are work through a greater range of the movement.

In performing just a Standard Barbell Squat, Bench Press/Press, Deadlift, etc., the top end part of the movement means Power is decreased.

Post Activation Potentiation

The attached Bands and Chains with Squats, Pressing, Deadlifts, Kettlebell Swing, etc elicits Post Activation Potentiation. PAP.

PAP means when a heavy load in a movement is followed by a lighter load in the same movement or one similar to it, greater force production (Power) is displayed.

A Banded Movement elicit PAP; due to the increased top end loading.

Dr Gideon Ariel

Research by Ariel demonstrated that only around 30% of an exercise movement overloadsthe muscle. The remaining 70% of the movement underloads the muscles; does not fully train nor development them.

That means the muscle are not being trained nor developed at the top end of the Kettlebell Swing with light to moderate loads, unless they are Banded Kettlebell Swings.

However, as the research shows (posted above) if a Heavy Kettlebell Swing is employed (30% of body weight or more), greater muscle activation is displayed and developed; Power is enhanced.

Last edited:
A true Ballistic Movement is one in which a body or an object goes airborne: Squat Jumps, Bench Press Throws, Trap Bar Jumps, Olympic Pulls, Olympic Jerks, etc.
Respectfully disagree. You throw the kettlebell across the room but you hold onto it. Letting go of it and having it actually travel across the room (a fun thing to do outside - everyone should try it: throws for distance) wouldn't change the essential nature of the movement.

-S-

Respectfully disagree.

We've been down this road before...

Ballistic training, also called power training, is a form of training which involves throwing weights, and jumping with weights, in order to increase explosive power. The intention in ballistic exercises is to maximise the acceleration phase of an object's movement and minimise the deceleration phase. For instance, throwing a medicine ball maximises the acceleration of the ball; this can be contrasted with a standard weight training exercise where there would be a pronounced deceleration phase at the end of the repetition i.e. at the end of a bench press exercise the barbell is decelerated and brought to a halt. Similarly, an athlete jumping whilst holding a trap bar maximises the acceleration of the weight through the process of holding it whilst they jump; where as they would decelerate it at the end of a standard trap bar deadlift.[1]

References

I am at bottom of the list but at least I am on it...

References
  • Baechle T.R. and Earle R.W. (2000) Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning: 2nd Edition. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics
  • Baker, D., Nance, S. and Moore, M. The load that maximizes the average power output during explosive bench press throws in highly trained athletes. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 15(1): 20–24. 2001.
  • Behm, D.G. and Sale, D.G. Velocity specificity of resistance training. Sports Med. 1993 Jun; 15(6):374-88
  • Bompa, T.O. 1999 Periodization Training for Sports. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics
  • Elliot, B. and Wilson, G. A biomechanical analysis of the sticking region in the bench press. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 21: 450–464. 1989.
  • Flannagan, S. Improve performance with ballistic training. Strength and Health. Spring 2001.
  • Garhammer, J. A review of power output studies of Olympic and powerlifting: Methodology, performance, prediction and evaluation test. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 7(2): 76–89. 1993.
  • Hammett, J.B. and Hey, W.T. Neuromuscular adaptation to short-term (4 weeks) ballistic training in trained high school athletes. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 17:556-560, 2003.
  • Kelso, T. A Rationale for Strength Training. Coach and Athletic Director, Oct, 2001
  • Komi P.V. Neuromuscular performance: Factors influencing force and speed production. Scand J Sports Sci. 1979 1:2-15
  • Nawrocki, N. ( www.profootballweekly.com/content/features/features_archives/nawrocki_061901.asp ) The Athlete's Edge: 'Evolutionary training: Archuleta explodes past his competition: Pro Football Weekly's Internet Edition, June 19, 2001
  • Newell, K. Going ballistic! Getting in motion with performance enhancing equipment. Coach and Athletic Director, April, 2003
  • Newton, R.U., Kraemer, W.J., and Hakkinen, K. Effects of ballistic training on preseason preparation of elite volleyball players. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 31:323-330, 1999.
  • Newton R.U. and Kraemer W.J. Developing explosive muscular power: implications for a mixed methods training strategy. NSCAJ. 1994 16 (5):20-3
  • Newton R.U., Kraemer W.J., and Hakkinen K. Effects of ballistic training on preseason preparation of elite volleyball players. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1999 Feb; 31(2):323-30
  • Newton R.U., Kraemer W.J., and Hakkinen K., Humphries B.J. and Murphy A.J. Kinematics, kinetics and muscle activation during explosive upper body movements: Implications for power development. J Appl Biomech. 1996 12:31-43
  • Newton R.U., Murphy A.J., and Humphries B.J., Wilson G.J., Kraemer W.J., Hakkinen K. Influence of load and stretch shortening cycle on the kinematics, kinetics and muscle activation that occurs during explosive upper-body movements. Eur J Appl Physiol Occup Physiol. 1997; 75(4):333-42
  • Pearson, D., Faigenbaum A., Conley, M. and Kraemer, W. The National Strength and Conditioning Association's basic guidelines for the resistance training of athletes. Strength and Conditioning Journal. 22(4): 14–27. 2000.
  • Scheett, T. Go ballistic: this revolutionary high-velocity training system will help you bust through sticking points, become more explosive and speed up your muscle gains. Muscle & Fitness, Oct 2004
  • Wilson G.J., Newton R.U., Murphy A.J., and Humphries B.J. The optimal training load for the development of dynamic athletic performance. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1993 Nov; 25(11):1279-86
  • Croxdale,K and Morris, Plyometric Bench Press Training for More Power and Strength, Powerlifting USA, May 2002.

Last edited:
I am at bottom of the list but at least I am on it...
Well, the reference was added without any references to the article itself and by an IP that made no other contributions to this or any other article... ;)

But yes, I agree with your point about the term ballistic. Explosive lift or quick lift would probably fit the KB lifts better.

@kennycro@@aol.com,

As evidence to support my point, this is from the Wiki you cited:

"Many training programs ... now include ballistic exercises such as kettlebell cleans and snatches ..."

and this:

"Commonly used modern ballistic training exercises are medicine ball throws ... and push presses." Pushpress demo:

- nothing leave the ground, neither weight nor athlete.

-S-

@kennycro@@aol.com,

As evidence to support my point, this is from the Wiki you cited:

"Many training programs ... now include ballistic exercises such as kettlebell cleans and snatches ..."

and this:

"Commonly used modern ballistic training exercises are medicine ball throws ... and push presses." Pushpress demo:

- nothing leave the ground, neither weight nor athlete.

-S-

Quazi-Ballistic Movement

I am a huge proponent of the Kettlebell Swing.

However, it is a Quazi-Ballistic Movement.

As per the information that provided and the references from the various resources listed; the issue is the as the as a barbell or Kettlebell, o ascended toward the top of a movement, the bar decelerates if you hold on to.

The issue with the bar decelerating is that Power is not displayed nor developed through the full range of the movement.

Rather than an athlete or lifter learning to accelerate through the full range of the movement, they learn to, metaphorically to take their foot off the gas pedal. That is what the research and anecdotal data show.

With that said, the Push Press and Kettlebell Swing are great exercises. However, they are not true Ballistic Movement.

Your Disagree

Your disagreement appears to be based on "your subjective" feelings.

As Dr Craig Maker stated, " Your feelings don’t matter! That is, your subjective feeling of the effectiveness of a workout is not important as what science tells us is important..." HIIT versus HIRT

Science Often Works Backwards

Science often works backwards. It examines Training Method that work and then tries to understand why they work.

Providing The Science

My objective is to share training information based on the science, as well as anecdotal information based on practical experience.

What you or other decide do with that information is up to you and them.

Last edited:
@kennycro@@aol.com, we're all subjective; I'll be the first to confess to that. However, in this case, I'm just quoting the article you cited. As to "qausi" or not, I don't know that this is an important distinction.

Consider an alternative explanation if you will, however. The hips operate ballistically; the arms slow the weight.

Science often works backwards. It examines Training Method that work and then tries to understand why they work.
Agreed, and I'm much more concerned with what works than why.

My personal theory is that the kettlebell swing, snatch, clean, and other "quasi" ballistic movements as are ""quasi in large part because, with a kettlebell, we choose to do them for relatively high reps and moderate weights. My own summary of rep ranges would be that Olympic, ballistic athletes typically use 1-3 reps, strength trainees typically up to 5 reps on primary exercises, and kettlebell ballistics typically use about twice the reps that we might use for strength training. (I know this isn't exact and it doesn't need to be for purposes of this discussion.)

My point is that some of the "magical" results we see from kettlebell training come from using ballistic (quasi-ballistic, if you prefer) movements in this 10+ reps/set range.

I'm enjoying the conversation - thank you.

-S-

RE: Banded Swings
Just make sure the upper body doesn't become a "main driver" in the swing, in other words, It doesn't become a front raise with a "fast grind" sort of action.
Would there be any benefit in trying to stop the bell for longer in the top position?

Erik
Bruce Lee apparently did swings with an "explosive" stop at the top but I would use them sparingly.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom