all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Resistance bands for kettlebell moves

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JeffW26

Level 2 Valued Member
Hey all. Thanks for having me on the forum. If you are in a pinch can you mimick kettlebell moves with some resistance bands?

@JeffW26, I will tell you my story.

I used a mini band in combination with a 16 and a 20 kg to achieve a 32 kg military press for the first time.

I took a few bands with me when I had to be away from my weights for a week - using only bands completely messed up my press groove.

-S-

can you mimick kettlebell moves with some resistance bands?

For double kettlebell military press. You will need a 1/2 to 1 inch band, the same type used to assist students with pull-ups.

Stand "inside" it and press overhead. With the appropriate tension, the band will get you to tighten up the abs and glutes during the press, which may assist you in learning how the real thing should feel.

I trained with bands throughout lockdown as I did not have access to my kettlebells. These are the main exercises I used...

“Kettlebell” press. Stand on the band with one foot and hold the other end in one hand (same side foot as hand), and hold it in the rack position so the band tracks over your elbow. Press in the same way you would a kettlebell.

Anchor the band, take a step or two back and kneel down and your in an ideal position to do one arm rows. I find that the more stretch on the band in the starting position the more consistent the resistance throughout the range of motion. So I find these better than seated rows.

Kneel down in a lunge, place your front foot on the middle of the band and loop your arms through both ends. Put your hands on your collar bone and lift up your rear foot. Stand up. (Essentially a zercher airborne lunge / shrimp squat). Not as good as a weighted pistol but in my experience it’s as close as your going to get with a band.

Push ups! I like to loop the band under my arms like a gun holster to train weighted push ups. I focused more on one arm push ups but I did do some of these.

Band pull aparts - great for the rear delts and a good finisher after push up work.

Other than band exercises; I did a lot of pull ups, I did lots of bridges after I trained the lunges and ended every session with ab work and then some isometrics with my iron mind gripper.

@JeffW26, I will tell you my story.

I used a mini band in combination with a 16 and a 20 kg to achieve a 32 kg military press for the first time.

I took a few bands with me when I had to be away from my weights for a week - using only bands completely messed up my press groove.

-S-

What technique did you use? I pressed as I described above and it added several reps to my 32kg press rep max.

Edit: I was training one arm push ups too and and doing lots of sport specific training so maybe this was a factor too

What technique did you use? I pressed as I described above and it added several reps to my 32kg press rep max.

“Kettlebell” press. Stand on the band with one foot and hold the other end in one hand (same side foot as hand), and hold it in the rack position so the band tracks over your elbow. Press in the same way you would a kettlebell.
Exactly that.

-S-

Also I only learned about these recently but they are super useful.

They slide into the gap on a for hinge very securely.

I’ve found myself preferring resistance band “pull ups” (The exercise where you anchor the band, then bend over so your body is horizontal to the floor and pull from overhead) over actual pull ups due to the fact that these exist. I find they are more portable as it’s easier to find somewhere to anchor a band than to find somewhere to do pull ups. Yes, doorway pull up bars exist but they aren’t always suited to every doorway.

After my time in lockdown I really feel resistance band training is under appreciated. I know there are drawbacks but there are drawbacks to any implement. One thing I’ve been wanting to experiment with is buying a suspension trainer handle to use with the band.

First three days in my new flat & I put my pull up bar up.
It had stood for years at my parents house with hardly any damage to the door frame.
Three pull ups in it pulled straight through the plasterboard . ?‍♂️

Gave it away but recently got it back & figured out how to set it up without too much damage .
I really missed the old man.

If you have a car they travel great. If your traveling by train or plain they do not travel at all.
One should make sure they're securely fastened in a car. We once had the experience of a kettlebell sliding forward in a quick stop and ending up on the gas pedal - quickly putting the car into neutral was the only solution until we figured out what was going on. My foot was on the brake pedal, and although a 12 kg bell isn't heavy enough for many things, I can confirm that it's heavy enough to push down and hold down the gas pedal.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom