all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Resistance Bands

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kamikius

First Post
Hello forum! I'm looking for a good set of resistance bands, but first of all I have a question. Is possibile to gain muscle using only these type of bands, with no other equiment? No dumbbells, no kuttlebell, neither a pullup bar.
If the answer is yes, which one is a good set? On web I've found a lot of kind of bands, but i don't know wich are the best. There's a good set with a good price?

I can't comment on using resistance bands exclusively: However, I have been using Elitefts bands for my bench press and squat for years (I use them as reverse bands). I own the green (mini) and orange (light) bands. They are great. Resilient. And havent lost elasticity over time. I recommend the product.

I also use the bands for many accessory accessories (tricep pulldowns for example). It would not surprise me 1 bit that one could get a complete workout (depending on your goals) with bands only. To me, resistance bands are most similar to excersise machines, but minimalistic and inexpensive.

I'm always looking for ideas on how to incorporate my bands, so keep sharing what you learn!

Eric

I've used them for joint distraction and adding resistance to push ups. Using them to make your push ups more difficult could put some muscle on your upper body. I suppose if you got creative you could put a bit of mass on other areas. I've used Rogue, Rage, and a generic brand of monster band, one around 80lb and one around 40lb resistance. 20 bucks a band I believe.

I think I've had mine since 2015 or so. Still going. I dont use them heavily though. They are just a spice in my training, not a main dish. But I do ise my mini bands at least once every week.

@william bad butt My goal is not gain an important mass, but a good athletic body with a better musculature than the current one, without very big pretensions, keeping in mind that in any case I start from zero, so I think I can improve fairly. I've checked the elitefts band and seems good. I just wilI buy an utility strap to anchor bands to door or to a bar to do a lot of good exercises, specially for back muscles. I see six colours, since micro to strong. To reach my goal, wich colours i've to buy?

Attachments

• 1597671393165.png
    1597671393165.png
    312 bytes · Views: 3
I'm looking for a good set of resistance bands, but first of all I have a question. Is possibile to gain muscle using only these type of bands, with no other equiment? No dumbbells, no kuttlebell, neither a pullup bar.

Absolutely

Both weights and bands provide resistance.

Where they differ in...

The Strength Curve Loading

1) Weights have great resistance in the bottom part of an exercise compared to bands.

2) Bands (as they stretch) provide greater loading in the top end part of an exercise compared to weights.

Ascending Strength Exercises

This is an exercise that is hard at the bottom and easier at the top with free weights: Squats, Pressing Movements, Deadlifts, Leg Press, etc.

Attaching bands to a barbell, as William mention. in an Ascending Exercise overload the muscle through a greater range.

Research show that in any exercise, only around 30% of the movement overloads the muscles. Thus, around 70% of the exercise is underload/undertrained.

Place To Buy Bands

There are plenty of place to purchase them. The price and quality is about the same.

Summary

Band resistance is an effective method of increasing strength an muscle mass.

Bands just load the muscles in an exercise differently than weights.

Last edited:
I got mine here. Resistance Band Training | A Fitness Solution I've been happy with them. Also they provide a large amount of programming information for ideas on how to use them.

Mine are three or four years old and still going strong. What i like about them is the ability to get resistance/load in any direction. Where weights only work in the vertical axis. I won't replace squatting and dead lifting with bands, I can't really put a barbell in my spare room for a workout at home.

@william bad butt My goal is not gain an important mass, but a good athletic body with a better musculature than the current one, without very big pretensions, keeping in mind that in any case I start from zero, so I think I can improve fairly. I've checked the elitefts band and seems good. I just wilI buy an utility strap to anchor bands to door or to a bar to do a lot of good exercises, specially for back muscles. I see six colours, since micro to strong. To reach my goal, wich colours i've to buy?

I apologize for not responding. I just noticed this, I'm prob too late.... I recommend starting with the mini (green) and light (orange).

@william bad butt , How long have yours lasted? I had a 80lber blowout on me while doing joint distraction a couple weeks ago.

I'm in the market as well.
I've always bought bands from elitefts and they can last for years with proper use and care.

This is all common sense of course, but I'm paranoid of blow outs and mishaps w. bands - things can turn very bad very quickly. Don't leave them in the car or garage or anywhere they might be exposed to sunlight or extremes/changes of temperature and humidity - they age QUICKLY if you do. Keep an eye on them for small tears or spots that might be wearing faster. Be careful about what you anchor them to (sharp edges and corners, knurling, etc are going to wear them)

I'm paranoid of blow outs and mishaps w. bands - things can turn very bad very quickly.
Band Mishap

The key is as you noted, taking good care of your bands.

Secondly, checking you bands to ensure they are not wearing out, minimized band issues.

Another alternative is...

Chains

Chain elicit a somewhat similar training effect.

They are basically indestructible and will pretty much last forever.

Ascending Strength Curve Movements

Band and Chain, as we know, are optimal for developing strength through a great range of the movement.

Dr Gideon Ariely

Research by Ariely has demonstrated that in all movements, the exercise only overload the muscles in approximately 30% of it.

That means the remaining 70% is underloaded; not maximally overload where results are optimally achieved.

This bring us to...

How To Set Up Chain Loading

Many companies that sell chains, have them attached to a collar that goes on your bar.

Chain attached to an Olympic Collar are not the best choice for a few reasons.

Using Chains When Squatting

Chris Thibaudeau's video demonstrates the most effective set up for chain.

1) Smaller chains attaching the larger chain to the bar.

a) This allows you to adjust the chain load to lifters with different heights; wrap more or less chain around the bar depending if a lifter is shorter or taller.

b) The first 1/3 of an Ascending Strength Cure Movement (Squat, Bench Press, etc) is where the overload occurs.

Bench Press Example

Approximately the first 4 inches off the chest is where the greatest overload is.

Since the greatest overload is in the bottom part of the Bench Press, less chain resistance is required.

Once you drive the weight beyond that point, the load that you can drive up dramatically increases.

Thus, attaching the smaller chain from the bar to the larger chains allows you to minimize the loading in the bottom part of the movement and then increase it in the upper part of the movement.

2) Chains With Olympic Collars

a) For the reason stated above, this set up make no sense. As Thibaudeau stated, "What kind of an idiot are you?"

b) Chain With Olympic Collar are a pain when it come to loading and unloading the bar for training sets.

Most individual end up taking the Chains With Olympic Collars off, to load and unload the bar, then putting the Chains back on.

With that in mind, what is much easier is to attached the chains on the inside of the bar, against the bar collars and leave them there.

You can then quickly and easily load and unload the weight on the bar without having to screw with the chains.

c) The cost of Chains With Collars is a lot more than just purchasing smaller chains to attached the larger chains to the bar.

d) You don't need to worry about what to anchor the chains to, as you do with the bands.

e) To reiterate, the smaller chains allow you modify length/amount of the Accommodating Chain Resistance, dependent on the height of the lifter.

The smaller chains also allow you to slightly modify where you want to slightly increase or decrease the resistance in a movement; dependent on your sticking point.

Last edited:
Chains are great and I use them all the time at home but lugging them to the gym is a royal pain in the butt.

As far as squats (and bench and deadlifts) go, I don't even bother w. bands anymore - it's chains only. If I was still big into PL, it might be different, but the set-up, and risk to reward ratio is just too wack for me to mess with them.

I don't even bother w. bands anymore - ... the set-up, and risk to reward ratio is just too wack for me to mess with them.

Small Risk

There is very little risk with the bands having a blow out.

If there were any issues there would be a grave yard full of people. The fact that so many individual use them and there are no horror stories about the band indicates that the band are not an issue.

I've used Bands and Bungee for since 1998.

I had one of the bands and a couple of the bungees blow out. I knew it was coming due to the wear that I could see on them from years of use.

None of the blow out with the band or bungees created any issues for me. It was an inconvenience.

I am not sure what's driving your paranoia.

Last edited:
Small Risk

There is very little risk with the bands having a blow out.

If there were any issues there would be a grave yard full of people. The fact that so many individual use them and there are no horror stories about the band indicates that the band are not an issue.

I've used Bands and Bungee for since 1998.

I had one of the bands and a couple of the bungees blow out. I knew it was coming due to the wear that I could see on them from years of use.

None of the blow out with the band or bungees created any issues for me. It was an inconvenience.

I am not sure what's driving your paranoia.
Umm, lol, OK KENNY. I know it's just your style of writing but I wouldn't say I'm suffering from "paranoia"...

I also have been using bands since the late 90s and have never had a blow out personally because I am diligent about checking for wear and making sure that set up is spot on. HOWEVER, with the 3 lifts, there is a lot more that could go wrong w. bands than with chains, and IF it did go wrong, it could go VERY wrong. Proper/safe set-up with bands is difficult and time-consuming if you don't have the right rack to begin with - I do not have a rack bolted to the ground w. band attachments at home, so even if I wasn't, you know, "paranoid", it's a huge pain.

That said, if I was commuting to a gym that had band attachments, and didn't want to lug chains, I'd happily bring my bands with me.

Dude, you quote an earlier post to... whatever. Have you heard of hyperbole, Kenny? Mishaps and fails can and do happen with bands. I don't avoid band work - I use them all the time still, I just don't need them with squat, bench, and deadlifts.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom