all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Respond to Anti-Kettlebell Article

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@North Coast Miller @Kozushi We discussed these force numbers in a previous thread How fast do we swing Kettlebells?, among other things. My conclusion is that there is no 500 pounds force on the kettlebell when swinging a 24. 500 pounds is the force exerted on the ground, and includes the weight of the person who swings the kettlebell. With measured accelerations, the force exerted on the kettlebell is closer to 150-170 pounds, and that is for only a short amount of time. Now, if you swing a 40kg bell 1 handed with accelerations similar to those I saw, that would be a max of about 250-300 pounds exerted on 1 hand.

@North Coast Miller @Kozushi We discussed these force numbers in a previous thread How fast do we swing Kettlebells?, among other things. My conclusion is that there is no 500 pounds force on the kettlebell when swinging a 24. 500 pounds is the force exerted on the ground, and includes the weight of the person who swings the kettlebell. With measured accelerations, the force exerted on the kettlebell is closer to 150-170 pounds, and that is for only a short amount of time. Now, if you swing a 40kg bell 1 handed with accelerations similar to those I saw, that would be a max of about 250-300 pounds exerted on 1 hand.

Now that's starting to sound about in the realm of my napkin calculations.

I know personally if it hit 170 lbs for more than an instant it would come flying out of my hand. And yet, my grip doesn't really fatigue till I get into swinging my 32kg, and then it drops off fast. Then my 32 has a massively thick handle...

I don't underestimate the power of barbell. Any device has it's place in this world. Hell, I had to use those machines powered by air pressure to rehab my knee.

@masa If you want the details, read the thread I referred to. There is a lot in there. I did motion analysis of people swinging kettlebells, with acceleration giving you force. I also analyzed how people arrived to the 500 pounds figure and read accounts of the experiments online by people who were actually there when the data was acquired. Also, I was professionally trained to do this kind of stuff.

@Manuel Fortin; Sorry, I didn't notice first that underlined text was a link to a thread. Quite convincing text you have wrote in there. Impressive.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom