all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Rest on TGUs in S&S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

DaveMetzger

First Post
If you're doing simple and sinister, how much rest should you be taking between individual Turkish Get-Ups?

In the book, Pavel specifies a 1:1 work:rest ratio. I always thought this was for both swings and get-ups; though the way it's phrased, it's possible he is referring only to swings. When I'm working out, I typically set an interval timer for :40 work and :20 rest, and find that feels about right.

But sometimes on this board, people say things like, "I'm up to 8:30 on my get-ups," and I find this confusing. What is 8:30? Their combined work/rest time? Does this mean they are doing their get-ups in 25 seconds or so and resting for 25 seconds? (This seems pretty fast to me.)

Or do I have this wrong, and should I be aiming for 10 minutes of continious get-ups without rest (which is possible, I suppose).

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Dave. 1:1 work:rest is for testing yourself. In actual training, you can (and probably should) take more rest for both the swings and getups. This is if you're doing S&S 4+ days a week. If you are doing it 3 or less days a week, its probably ok to shoot for 1:1 more sessions. 8:30 would be total time to get in 5 TGUs on each side. I take 9:50 right now when I push it. I use an interval timer to pace myself. I give myself 90 seconds to do one on each side (I pause for a deep breath between sides to get ready to generate more tension). Then I rest 35 seconds before starting again.

I'm with you in that a full getup up from initiating the roll to setting it down is closer to 40 seconds than to 30 seconds, so 1:1 wouldn't get me in under 10 minutes. I'd either do 40 work-20 rest, or 80 (Left-right consecutive)- 40 rest, but if I can see picking up the pace a bit and doing the TGU in 30 seconds and resting 30 seconds, or only counting the work period as the time under tension (so not counting getting into and out of position, eg the roll and foot/arm placement before the press).

When I'm trying a weight I haven't done before, I'll make it my second rep, and I'll wait 4-5 minutes after my first set before trying the weight. I'll also take a little bit more time between sides for that set. When I'm in normal training mode, I'll sometimes take equal breaks between each side (Right-rest-Left-rest...) or do the way I test (Right-10second minirest-Left-Normal rest....).

I'm also curious as to how other people do it. My day-in-day-out TGU's take about 15 minutes when I'm not testing (same time for my swings, although I've taken a setback on my swings and am working on technique with only 5 sets a day right now).

Ten minutes continuous getups sounds great for strength geared more towards hypertrophy and I've heard good things about that kind of thing, but you can't use your max weight (so its not as good for pure strength gains) and its also not the goal of S&S.

when i do TGUs as part of a daily practice i dont take a timed rest between sets, at the end of each rep i settle the bell back to the ground, i slowly sit up and spin my body around, lie back and begin my next rep, so instead of moving the bell, i move myself. this takes about 10 seconds, its not a rush at all. 1 get up (up and down) takes about 30-35 seconds, i make sure i get in a pause at each "joint" of the exercise and i keep the movement very methodical, and even though im incorporating a slight pause i do focus on a smooth fluid movement. my TGUs, 5 per side for a total of 10, typically come in around 7 minutes. TGUs have always been easier for me than 1H swings, so i am always ahead in weight, typically performing my TGUs with one bell size larger than my swings. for the most part, i never time my sessions, i just go with what's comfortable, with swings (or C&Ps, or squats) i wait until i can breathe easy and speak easily before starting the next rep, TGUs have never been that taxing from a breathing standpoint so i just move from to another. i throw in an "S&S time standard test" every once in a while, to try for a sub 5 min 1H 100 rep swing session , rest the minute and a sub 10 min TGU session, and when i test the TGUs it's at the same pace as my daily practice, roughly 7 minutes.

...how much rest should you be taking between individual Turkish Get-Ups?

During regular practice - as much as you need. Shorter rest periods (and eventually completing 5x1 get-ups left/right in 10 minutes) mean that you can insert heavier weight.

@Keep Lifting
What size are you using for TGUs? It sounds like you have owned that bell for quite some time and adding the next size up would be beneficial. Of course, there is also benefit from staying there, plus the shorter session is nice if you have time budgeting constraints on training.

i use the 40kg for TGUs, i mix the 40kg in for 1H swings, but most of my swings are done with the 32, or i will do double kb swings with a 24 in each hand. i still have a tough time getting 10 sets of 10 with the 40, so i am patiently working up. i don't have a 48, to start working into my tgu practice, but may treat myself for Christmas.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom