all posts post new thread

Barbell Rest Pause vs Consistent Movement

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

movestrength

Level 4 Valued Member
Which is better for strength development? Is it better to rest after completing the eccentric part of the compound before starting the concentric movement of the exercise or is it better to keep a consistent movement and tempo when lifting the weights? Is the latter better for hypertrophy and lactic acid build-up rather than strength development?

I would say generally a consistent tempo is best, but a pause can be useful for practicing tension and working on certain parts of the movement such as coming up from the bottom of a squat.

I wouldn't think the pause affects hypertrophy and lactic acid build-up. Those probably has much more to do with rep ranges and total volume and/or tonnage.

@LvlUpStr, IMHO, there is no right answer to your question without knowing what your goals are. Pausing at the turn-around point of a lift, e.g., the bottom of a squat, can have the effect of "making your light weights heavy" which is generally a good thing and useful preparation for heavier lifting.

I will respectfully half-disagree with @Anna C's first half a sentence. I often vary the tempo through the course of a workout, going slower and with pauses with light weights and then more of a "taking care of business" tempo with my working sets. That, not a single tempo, is my standard practice.

-S-

Which is better for strength development? Is it better to rest after completing the eccentric part of the compound before starting the concentric movement of the exercise or is it better to keep a consistent movement and tempo when lifting the weights?

Paused Repetitions

Paused Repetitions eliminate the Stretch Reflex; the rubber band, sling shot effect in coming of the bottom of a Bench Press, Squat, etc.

Pausing, let's say in the bottom of a Bench Press, etc., builds strength from that position. As Steve stated, it make the lift harder from that position.

Research presented in the book, Supertraining, Siff and Verkhoshansky, showed that pausing for 4 seconds kills the stretch reflex.

Even a light pause dampens the Stretch Reflex; in one second 50% of the Stretch Reflex is lost.

That is one of the reason that you don't want to pause the weight any longer than you need to in a Competition Powerlifting Bench Press.

Consistent Movement

Performing, let's say a Touch and Go in the Bench Press, develops the Stretch Reflex. The connective tissue are like rubber bands that have been stretched, slingshotting the weight back up.

Research show that up to 18% more power can be produce when the Stretch Reflex is elicited.

The Touch and Go allows you to use more weight, overloading the top end of the movement to some extent.

Training Objective

As per Steve, "...There is no right answer to your question without knowing what your goals are."

Your Training Objective dictates your choice of Paused or Touch and Go Repetitions in the development of Limit Strength and Power.

In other word, you want to use the right tool for the right job.

Is the latter better for hypertrophy and lactic acid build-up rather than strength development?

Metabolic Stress/"The Pump"

Dr Brad Schoenfeld's research determined there are three mechanism the promoted hypertrophy. The primary factor is Metabolic Stress/"The Pump".

"The Pump" is elicited by performing moderate to high repetition sets.

The heart pumps blood to the working muscles, arterial blood flow.

The blood becomes trapped in the muscles due to the fact that muscle contraction constrict blood flow back to the heart, venous blood flow.

The trapped blood in the muscle amount to blowing up a balloon with air. The trapped blood pumping up the size of the muscles.

This Metabolic Stress increases lactate which triggers the hypertrophy, the anabolic effect.

Taking short rest periods between moderate to high repetition sets minimizes the amount of blood that escapes back to the heart; magnifying "The Pump" even more.

Loaded Stretches

Dr Jake Wilson's research determined that 199o's Bodybuilding Coach John Parrillo's protocol of stretching after each exercise set produce a hypertrophic effect.

Wilson determine that Loaded Stretches after each set of an exercise for approximately 30 second increased muscle mass.

Bench Press Loaded Stretch Example

1) Perform a Bench Press for a moderate to high number of repetitions.

2) Then get some dumbbells, lay back on the bench and allow the dumbbells to sit at the bottom part of your Bench Press for 30 seconds.

The reason for using the dumbbell rather than an Olympic Bar is that the dumbells allow for a deeper stretch.

The Loaded Stretch produces Muscle Damage; one of the three mechanism that Schoenfeld's research found that necessary for hypertrophy.

Knowing When and What To Stretch

Stretching is a double edge sword.

If performed the right way, it can increase muscle mass and force production, Limit Srength and Power.

If performed incorrectly, it dampen Limit Strength and Power; you lift less.

I wouldn't think the pause affects hypertrophy and lactic acid build-up. Those probably has much more to do with rep ranges and total volume and/or tonnage.

Ditto

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
I often vary the tempo through the course of a workout, going slower and with pauses with light weights and then more of a "taking care of business" tempo with my working sets. That, not a single tempo, is my standard practice.

I do this too, but usually just the first warm-up set: a set of 5 squat, press, or bench press with the empty 45 lb bar, or 3-5 deadlifts with 135 lbs. Varying speed of movement, pausing at certain positions, paying lots of attention to internal cues and feedback. But the next weighted set I usually go to regular tempo, unless the program for the day is a paused movement (paused squat, tempo squat, halting deadlift, paused bench press), then I do that same thing for all of the subsequent weight jumps.

Pausing, let's say in the bottom of a Bench Press, etc., builds strength from that position. As Steve stated, it make the lift harder from that position.

Yes... I found this out when I failed my bench press strength test at SFL. That pause makes a huge difference, and must be practiced to succeed.

The reason for using the dumbbell rather than an Olympic Bar is that the dumbells allow for a deeper stretch.

I have not tried dumbbell presses since I started bench pressing. It would likely be a good addition.

Yes... I found this out when I failed my bench press strength test at SFL. That pause makes a huge difference, and must be practiced to succeed.

Paused Bench Press Training

Paused Bench Press Training with fairly heavy load increases strength in driving the weight up.

With that said, some training also need to be performed with...

Touch And Go Bench Presses

This develops the Stretch Reflex and carries over to a Paused Bench Press.

As you know, the rule in Powerlifting is the Press Signal is given once the bar become motionless on the chest. A good Referee will immediately give you the Press Signal once it is motionless.

As much as 50% of the Stretch Reflex still exists in one second, then it diminished quickly with it being non-existent in four second or longer.

Thus, performing some Touch and Go Bench Presses will increase the amount of Stretch Reflex in the Bench Press. Coupling it with a minimal pause on the chest ensures that you'll drive more weight up in your Bench Press.

Action Beat Reaction Time

In the Competition Bench Press, as most things in life, action beats reaction. You are a step behind if you are reacting.

With that let's look at one of the greatest Bench Pressers of all time...

Doug Young 611 lb/277 kg Bench Press

At a body weight of 242 lbs/110 kg, Young Bench Press 611 lbs in a T-Shirt.

In Young's first two attempts, when the Referee gave the Press Signal, Young paused it a bit longer before driving the weight.

On Young's third attempt with 589 lbs/277.5 kg, Young anticipated the Press Signal. However, it was Red Lighted because he beat the Referee's command.

Young then jumped to 611 lbs for a 4th attempt World Record.

Again, Young anticipated the Press Signal, timing it just right. The bar momentarily stopped and a millisecond after the Press Signal was given, Young drove the weight up with room to spare.

Young's Bench Press looked somewhat like a Touch and Go, his timing was dead on.

Most great Bench Pressers anticipate the Press Command like this. That split second often is the determinate factor of pushing the weight up or having it stall.

It is a timing issue that they practice in their Bench Press Training Sessions.

A great example of this is Drag Racer Hillary Will Reaction Time Training...

Sport Science - Episode 3 - Reaction Time - Hillary Will

"...What separates good reaction time from not so good reaction time is thousands of a second."

Rather than reacting to the Green Go Light, Hillary anticipates the Green Go Light; which makes a dramatic difference.

Kenny Croxdale

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom