all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Rest Time Rite of Passage

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kayodoubleu

Level 2 Valued Member
Hi all. After this forum was extremely helpful during my last Problem I decided to use it again for some advices.

I'm now in the fith week in the RoP program and I am using the 24kg bell. This alone is a big achievement for me. I am now on 4er rungs and 5 ladders. So 10 reps per ladder. I think you all know the concept.

Before starting RoP I read the book again. If I am not wrong I think there wasn't a specific advice on Rest periods during ladders and during rungs. At the moment I am doing one minute rest between rungs and about 5-6 minutes between ladders.
It feels somekind of wrong / cheaty to do long Rest periods like this. But on the other side I think it just depends the volume of the presses and not the time you need for them.

But I am sure that I read 10 years ago somewhere that you shouldn't do Rest periods between rungs. It was stated something like "you rest your left side while you train your right side". But I can't remember where I read that. I thought it was from the book but o didn't find anything about Rest periods.

So what are your recommendation depending Rest periods? What are your experiences? Which method will give me the best results? Thanks in advance.

There is an entire page in the printed book devoted to rest times. Please read that.

-S-
The page about resting says that he didn't specidied it for the program. Short rests and long rests have their own benefits. So it seems like longer rests between ladders are ok. But what about rests between rungs? Will i get the same results if i rest longer but manage to press all my reps or if i stay on the "I go. You go" rest scheme and fail a few reps?

Hi all. After this forum was extremely helpful during my last Problem I decided to use it again for some advices.

I'm now in the fith week in the RoP program and I am using the 24kg bell. This alone is a big achievement for me. I am now on 4er rungs and 5 ladders. So 10 reps per ladder. I think you all know the concept.

Before starting RoP I read the book again. If I am not wrong I think there wasn't a specific advice on Rest periods during ladders and during rungs. At the moment I am doing one minute rest between rungs and about 5-6 minutes between ladders.
It feels somekind of wrong / cheaty to do long Rest periods like this. But on the other side I think it just depends the volume of the presses and not the time you need for them.

But I am sure that I read 10 years ago somewhere that you shouldn't do Rest periods between rungs. It was stated something like "you rest your left side while you train your right side". But I can't remember where I read that. I thought it was from the book but o didn't find anything about Rest periods.

So what are your recommendation depending Rest periods? What are your experiences? Which method will give me the best results? Thanks in advance.
Don't worry about resting too long. If you care about strength, rest as much as needed for perfect form throughout the entire session. You can compress rest periods later, if you want some more hypertrophy (as advised in ROTK).

In Pavel's earlier writings it is usually presented as "I go l you go", as @Steve Freides writes. But in a recent unpublished piece from an experimental protocol he advises to rest at least as many minutes as reps you've just done . This is the way I am doing it. Once you get used to it, it is pretty great. Sessions take long, but feel free to start cooking or do some breathwork from SecondWind express during rest periods.

Man, as many minutes as reps - that's a lot. 5 min rest is what you do for a 5RM squat. For real - that long for a single kettlebell press? I would say 3 minutes is the top. For a single kettlebell - the stress is not nearly as much as from a squat.
I go - you go is realistic, as we also change hands.

Don't worry about resting too long. If you care about strength, rest as much as needed for perfect form throughout the entire session. You can compress rest periods later, if you want some more hypertrophy (as advised in ROTK).

In Pavel's earlier writings it is usually presented as "I go l you go", as @Steve Freides writes. But in a recent unpublished piece from an experimental protocol he advises to rest at least as many minutes as reps you've just done . This is the way I am doing it. Once you get used to it, it is pretty great. Sessions take long, but feel free to start cooking or do some breathwork from SecondWind express during rest periods.
Thanks. This is a concept i allready thought about (reps = resting minutes) but i thought it is just too long. It would be 15 minutes of rest per ladder only. Than the work time itself maybe 2-3 minutes. So 18 Minutes per set for 5 sets will led to almost two hours of training on heavy days. But i will keep this concept in mind. Maybe i could try it out later on.

All excellent answers..

I've been experimenting with this approach

For the lower end rungs, a minute is your longest rest.. for the higher end rungs, 2 minutes.. 3 minutes between ladders

The page about resting says that he didn't specidied it for the program. Short rests and long rests have their own benefits. So it seems like longer rests between ladders are ok. But what about rests between rungs? Will i get the same results if i rest longer but manage to press all my reps or if i stay on the "I go. You go" rest scheme and fail a few reps?
The book answers this - shorter rests favor hypertrophy, long rests favor neurological/skill-based improvements. The choice is yours. Do not fail reps - take as long as you need. I've taken 2 hours to go through an ROP Heavy Day near the end of the program. A lot of this is going to depend on what weight you used.

-S-

The book answers this - shorter rests favor hypertrophy, long rests favor neurological/skill-based improvements. The choice is yours. Do not fail reps - take as long as you need. I've taken 2 hours to go through an ROP Heavy Day near the end of the program. A lot of this is going to depend on what weight you used.

-S-
As I've aged, I've come to appreciate autoregulation and not caring about the clock. Go when you can give it your best. It delivers results and keeps you on point form-wise.

-S-
This!!

I once split heavy day into two segments (1-2-3-4-5)x2 mid morning and (1-2-3-4-5)x3 evening...

The rite of passage is versatile and it all depends on your goals

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom