all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Restarting a new workout - no weights

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello all! I'm recovering from a leg and knee injury for the past four months. I finally received clearance from my doctor to restart a workout a regimen. I'm clueless what to do because the exercises I use to do I can no longer do (at least for now). I'm female in my mid - forties, who has put on considerable weight (about 20 + plus pounds) due to both recovery and covid. I use to do strength training and workouts similar to these when I trained for marathons Brandon Todd – Professional Fitness Trainer. If anyone has suggests on light workouts to burn fat, and build muscle please let me know. Right now, I'm doing my best to maintain my weight through a reduced calorie diet and low impact workouts. The results are slow, so I'm looking for something that works much faster.

Hello,

@FreeSpirit8
Maintaining the weight is mainly a diet discipline. It is hard to out train a bad diet.

Intermittent fasting can be interesting, if this is possible. Then it can be as simple as skipping breakfast.

Training wise, if you have access to sea or swimming pool, this would be the best to do long and slow aerobic training. But with C19, I guess swimming pools are closes.

Is skipping rope possible ? One can do 1 minute or so, then some upper body strength (TNW push up progression toward OAP, and pull up progression). It would be just 2 or 3 reps every 3 minutes.

Kind regards,

Pet'

A basic push-pull-squat (with maybe hinge in the form of single leg deadlifts or basic glute bridges) routine could be a good place to start. Adding some hollow body holds and hardstyle planks would give you a total body workout.

Make sure you get cleared for the exercise variations you choose. The articles linked will give you a lot of information on proper form. If you can't do the regular variant, choose an easier progression.

Like push-ups from a counter top or bench, inverted rows or assisted pull-ups (with a partner or foot on a chair) and even hollow hangs, regular BW squats or split-squats or lunges if pistols are too hard after your knee injury. I myself am in the process of recovering from a knee issue so I know how limiting it can be.

A basic 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps of a 8-10RM (Rep Max=max number of reps you can do in a set) would get you started, or 3-5 sets of 5-8 reps of a 12+RM with 2-3 minutes rest between sets. 3 times a week, some days doing easier workouts some days doing harder ones.

Surprise Yourself With Strength on This Bodyweight Training Plan | StrongFirst Adjusting the plan to your current capacity

If you need more videos, Louka's youtube channel has a lot of good content. As well as Karen Smith's channel. Karen also has programs that I haven't tried myself but I'm sure they are very well conceived.

Stay strong!

Last edited:
If weight loss is your goal (and if you can walk) you should try intermittent fasting, with long walks (1 hour minimum, preferably more) in the fasted window (before or after food are both fine.)

Make sure you do strength work (however little you can) 2x a week (minimum effective dose) so you maintain lean tissue.

Track your weight and waist measurement. Both will decrease.

@FreeSpirit8, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

Kettlebell Simple and Sinister is a very popular program. The book includes the necessary steps to work up to the two movements in the program proper, the swing and the getup. Highly recommended. Simple but not easy. Minimalist. Effective.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom