all posts post new thread

Old Forum Resuming S&S post ankle injury

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ejdknit

First Post
I ruptured my Achilles and had surgery to repair it almost 8 weeks ago. I want to resume S&S or any kettlebell activity that involves legs and am looking for any tips or advice.

And just to alleviate any fears that I am substituting internet forums for legitimate medical care, I am starting with a PT to resume normal activities and checking in with my surgeon. I would just like to get some additional perspective from kettlebell experts.

Liz - achilles tears - as I'm sure you already know - can take a long time to heal. I never had surgery but mine took 6 months. I returned to play football after 9 months and hurt my knee. What I now know, I wish I knew then - get your movement patterns cleaned up before any activity, even if pain free and even if you are given clearance by your team to resume activity. A lot of force will travel through your achilles even when static doing swings. You may feel no pain and you may not realise your form may be off - it may not be of course - and the level of compensation may be substituted somewhere else in your posterior chain. Under loading, something may go. Get well checked over with a fms screen after your treatment and before adding load. You know, safety first. In no way is this an expert view, just a bloke who has made many mistakes!

Liz, ask your PT and your doc about when to resume exercise. In most situations I'm familiar with, you're supposed to wait until after your PT is done before resuming any regular exercise program. Let the professionals tell you what's OK to do and when.

And, of course, once you start again, be mindful of increasing gradually and staying away from pushing hard for as long as necessary.

-S-

Thank you Alistair and Steve for replying. I am taking the SFG course in late September (I was signed up for one in June but that didn't work out obviously so I was allowed to change it) so I should likely just do normal PT stuff until then. It will be interesting to be in the course after a 4 month break but someone has to be the worst in the class.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom