all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Return of The Kettlebell Query

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ashers

Level 2 Valued Member
Hi all,

I've recently completed the Enter tbe Kettlebell drills and am preparing for Return The Kettlebell.

I'm a bit confused about the terminology for determine the Rep Max:

"Accept Kenneth Jay’s definition of “moderately heavy” as 15-5RM".

What is this saying please? I don't understand what this means. If someone could explain this a different way I'd be very grateful.

Thanks.

@ashers Welcome to the SF forum!

What this means is that any* weight you can lift between 5 and 15 times with good form can be considered "moderately heavy". I hope that makes sense.

*Edit: Not 'any'; I meant the heaviest weight. @Steve Freides explains it better below.

Last edited:
Welcome! So you’ve achieved a 1/2 bodyweight one-arm military press and 200 snatches in 10:00 with a 24kg kettlebell?

@ashers, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

RM stands for Rep Max. A 1RM is the most weight you can move in a particular lift, period, so heavy for you that you cannot do it a second time right away. A 5RM means the most weight with which you can achieve 5 repetitions.

-S-

@ashers Welcome to the SF forum!

What this means is that any* weight you can lift between 5 and 15 times with good form can be considered "moderately heavy". I hope that makes sense.

*Edit: Not 'any'; I meant the heaviest weight. @Steve Freides explains it better below.

Thank you. I thought that was what it meant, but it confused me having the greater number written first. My dyslexia doesn't help with things like that! Lol.

Much appreciated. All the best.

@ashers, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

RM stands for Rep Max. A 1RM is the most weight you can move in a particular lift, period, so heavy for you that you cannot do it a second time right away. A 5RM means the most weight with which you can achieve 5 repetitions.

-S-
Thank you. I struggle sometimes due to dyslexia. Thanks for.your help, hearing something out another way is helpful.

All the very best,

Thank you. I thought that was what it meant, but it confused me having the greater number written first.

It does look strange, but the greater RM is actually the lower poundage, since your 15RM will be much lighter than your 5RM.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom