all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Reverse Hyperextensions

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

LewisF

Level 1 Valued Member
Hello,

I understand I'm supposed to make my injuries/history clear before asking for advice.

I went to a physiotherapist about my low back pain. There's nothing wrong down there, he just said that my barbell squat form was causing me some issues (hence why I'm working on goblet squats now and am doing no loaded barbell squats.)

Actually I've had lower back pain when I'm walking on and off for years now but it got worse once I started putting weight on my back squat. On the other hand, it always feels much better after I do deadlifts. I guess the activation of the glutes+low back combo in deadlift helps?

Aside from that, reverse hyperextensions have been recommended as an accessory for lower back endurance.
I'm wondering what people think about this?
If they think it sounds like a reasonable idea but I'm not sure what frequency/sets/reps/rest to implement it.
What do you guys think?

Peace,
Big L

Checkout the book Back Mechanic by Stuart McGill. Don't do things that cause pain, you are likely doing something wrong. It could be your form. It could be your general spine hygiene throughout the day, unrelated to strength training.

Makes a lot of sense to me. For reps and frequency though, I'm quite not sure but if deadlifts make you feel better, then that's a way to go.

the McGill big 3 are excellent and a good starting point if your experiencing pain. if deadlifts help then go forth and deadlift. I've recently done some kind of low back work in my warm up (bodyweight reverse hyperextensions, goblet good mornings, kettlebell RDL's) in the 5-10range for 2-3 sets. From a performance stand point they seem to help, couldn't tell you from a injury prevention point of view. good luck! and I hope your out of pain soon!

he just said that my barbell squat form was causing me some issues

Let's assume for a moment that it IS your form, and that your body is actually capable of moving with good form if you have the correct load for it. Why not fix your form and keep squatting? This might take a coach's eye and cuing, but it certainly can be done. Of all the people I work with and observe squatting in the gym, 99 out of 100 could benefit from a coach providing some corrective cues. Much like the kettlebell swing, the barbell squat is a "simple" movement that can be messed up in dozens of different ways, and almost all are fixable. In person is best, but uploading a video and asking for feedback can be a decent substitute.

I went to a physiotherapist about my low back pain. There's nothing wrong down there, he just said that my barbell squat form was causing me some issues (hence why I'm working on goblet squats now and am doing no loaded barbell squats.) Actually I've had lower back pain when I'm walking on and off for years now...

With all respect, the opinion of one physio isn't the gold standard for definitive diagnosis.

Not that the reverse hypers or even some reliable Swings aren't a good idea, I agree with @Anna C you should get your form checked. If there's nothing wrong with your form a second opinion might be in order, some posture correctives maybe if there's a bit of lordosis (which might explain why a bit of lumbar flex a al deadlift feels good).

It might be as simple as your current plan to strengthen the erectors independently, but it starts with a second look at your squat form. How do the goblet squats feel?

Hello everyone,

Thank you for all the responses. I am finding this forum to be an extremely valuable resource so far.

@North Coast Miller . Goblet squats feel fine. Always feels fine when exercising. As you and @Anna C have suggested, I will get a professional to give me some coaching on my form.

In response to all the replies I have found a book called "Treat Your Own Back" which offers the following suggestions:
My pain is caused by slouching immediately after exercise. I am definitely guilty of this and have been for many years.
My pain may be helped by following the exercises in the book. Additionally I am now aware of McGill's Big 3 thanks to @Maine-ah KB and @william bad butt (who I'm sure does indeed have a really bad butt.)

I will read the rest of this book and in the meantime focus on my posture after exercise. Additionally, after my workout I am lying down flat for 5 minutes and doing some deep breathing as recommended by Jason Ferruggia in his podcasts.

I'll update you guys on my progress.

Peace,
Big L.

Hi,

are you working your obligues weekly, both strength and mobility wise? If the obligues is weak/tight the lower back has to work harder to keep you upright and can cause you pain.

Back Raises were used by the russian weightlifting team for decades to undo some of the compressive damage from Squats, Pulls, competition lifts etc.

This is adopted by the Boris Sheiko powerlifting programs as well.

GHRs where you start from the bottom of a back raise position have the same effect with the added benefit of some knee flexion work. Which is beneficial for preventing knee pain.

The reverse hyper is Louie Simmons' spin on a back raise taken to an extreme. Before the quarantine I incorporated at least 2 traction based lifts everyday I squated or deadlifts.

Along with a few other pre/rehab work. Highly rate it.

First post here...

I think the Reverse Hyper is magnificent for low back strength and health. I've used the regular RH and the Bent-Pendulum RH for over two years, religiously. Louie argues you can use it many times a week for restoration or GPP in addition to strength, and I have done just that.

Of course I still do good mornings, back raises, GHRs, pull-throughs, etc.

I think the people who criticize the hyper are upset they didn't invent it and can't sell it (Chris Duffin comes to mind). Also, in America the envy/jealousy of Louie is always present.

I think the people who criticize the hyper are upset they didn't invent it and can't sell it (Chris Duffin comes to mind). Also, in America the envy/jealousy of Louie is always present.

Cult Mentality

I had a Reverse Hype for a while. However, I didn't find that was effective for me.

I have a couple of friend who swear by it; it works for them.

With that said, that doesn't mean that I am upset because I did not invent it; that is absurd. This type of response is a cult mentality response.

There no envy/jealousy about Simmons with America. This smacks of groups who think others are out to get them.

Westside Training

The Westside Training Protocol definitely works. It contains underlying principles that are fundamental for increasing strength.

I apply the principle of it with my program in a slight different manner via Post Activatition Potentiation Training.

My focus on training programs and equipment is on what works, regardless of who came up with it.

Cult Mentality

I had a Reverse Hype for a while. However, I didn't find that was effective for me.

I have a couple of friend who swear by it; it works for them.

With that said, that doesn't mean that I am upset because I did not invent it; that is absurd. This type of response is a cult mentality response.

There no envy/jealousy about Simmons with America. This smacks of groups who think others are out to get them.

Westside Training

The Westside Training Protocol definitely works. It contains underlying principles that are fundamental for increasing strength.

I apply the principle of it with my program in a slight different manner via Post Activatition Potentiation Training.

My focus on training programs and equipment is on what works, regardless of who came up with it.
I don't even know who you are Kenny. Unless you are a serious player in the equipment selling business, I can't imagine why you would mistarget that comment to yourself. Secondly, I'm an individual; we all are, so I reject your group cult theory. And yes, people are jealous of Louie. I've met many of them. Please do not strawman with this out to get me mumbo jumbo.

Your training "focus" is sound. Your transition logic from a comment about one piece of equipment to rejecting all others is not.

I did reverse hypers as a part of the rehab. My back liked it. I don’t do it anymore though. I don’t squat heavy anymore due to compressive damage. I have a structural scoliosis and worn out spine (silted vertebral discs and hernias etc.). Just a face-the-wall squats and an occasional goblets.

I hope you can get your form fixed! (y)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom