all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Review of Geoff Neupert's Kettlebell Burn EXTREME!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Stoneface77

Level 4 Valued Member
I just finished this 4 week program last week and thought I would share my experience and results in case you are considering it.

First off, the most important piece of info is in the title- EXTREME. This is a rigorous and tough program both in the workouts and the eating plan, but it is only four weeks.

To anyone who is familiar with Geoff Neupert's programs, the workouts will not surprise: double KB presses, front squats, cleans and swings. What Geoff does in this program is lay out a very strict framework for training, eating, and recovery that takes maximum advantage of the way your body responds to stimulus (I don't want to give too much away).

I benefited from the fact that every facet was laid out explicitly, so that the only real decision I had to make for four weeks was to get out of bed everyday. This was helpful for me as I have a habit of starting but not fully finishing a program. I did get a little bit loose on the eating time frames by the end but otherwise I stuck to the diet closely.

Results: I'm 43 years old and 6'1". I've been practicing KB's for several years and would say I am not a complete beginner but have a long way to go. My goals were to lose body fat, specifically around the waist, while building some muscle. Boy, did this program deliver. Here were my stats:

Starting weight: 245.4 lbs
Ending weight: 232.4 lbs (-15 lbs)

Starting waist line: 42.5 inches
Ending waist line: 39.0 inches (-3.5 inches)

Starting hip measurements: 40.5 inches
Ending hip measurements: 38.5 inches. (-2 inches)

My arms and quads remained essentially the same circumference but I gained quite a bit of definition in the triceps and shoulders.

I did the program with double 24kg KBs. I believe that the fact I did the first 8 weeks of the 12 week muscle building KB program earlier in the summer set me up for success with the volume of this program (6 days a week).

Overall, I'm happy with the results. It did make me realize just how much belly fat it is possible to carry around . . . after dropping 15 lbs I still have more to go. I plan to do something else for 2-3 months then run the program again, hopefully with the 32kg's.

One WTH? effect was that I was never really tired on this program, despite my ridiculous and sleep-depriving schedule as a LEO. In fact, I felt more awake and energized in the mornings and after workouts. Also, I never got sore thanks to the recovery protocols..

The Last Word: If you do this program strictly, I think you will definitely drop some body fat. It's great for someone who needs a jump-start to their weight loss like I did. However, I would not say this is a program for KB beginners or even someone new to double KB routines. You need to be quite comfortable with the movements so you can focus on getting the most out of the workouts.

I just finished this 4 week program last week and thought I would share my experience and results in case you are considering it.

First off, the most important piece of info is in the title- EXTREME. This is a rigorous and tough program both in the workouts and the eating plan, but it is only four weeks.

To anyone who is familiar with Geoff Neupert's programs, the workouts will not surprise: double KB presses, front squats, cleans and swings. What Geoff does in this program is lay out a very strict framework for training, eating, and recovery that takes maximum advantage of the way your body responds to stimulus (I don't want to give too much away).

I benefited from the fact that every facet was laid out explicitly, so that the only real decision I had to make for four weeks was to get out of bed everyday. This was helpful for me as I have a habit of starting but not fully finishing a program. I did get a little bit loose on the eating time frames by the end but otherwise I stuck to the diet closely.

Results: I'm 43 years old and 6'1". I've been practicing KB's for several years and would say I am not a complete beginner but have a long way to go. My goals were to lose body fat, specifically around the waist, while building some muscle. Boy, did this program deliver. Here were my stats:

Starting weight: 245.4 lbs
Ending weight: 232.4 lbs (-15 lbs)

Starting waist line: 42.5 inches
Ending waist line: 39.0 inches (-3.5 inches)

Starting hip measurements: 40.5 inches
Ending hip measurements: 38.5 inches. (-2 inches)

My arms and quads remained essentially the same circumference but I gained quite a bit of definition in the triceps and shoulders.

I did the program with double 24kg KBs. I believe that the fact I did the first 8 weeks of the 12 week muscle building KB program earlier in the summer set me up for success with the volume of this program (6 days a week).

Overall, I'm happy with the results. It did make me realize just how much belly fat it is possible to carry around . . . after dropping 15 lbs I still have more to go. I plan to do something else for 2-3 months then run the program again, hopefully with the 32kg's.

One WTH? effect was that I was never really tired on this program, despite my ridiculous and sleep-depriving schedule as a LEO. In fact, I felt more awake and energized in the mornings and after workouts. Also, I never got sore thanks to the recovery protocols..

The Last Word: If you do this program strictly, I think you will definitely drop some body fat. It's great for someone who needs a jump-start to their weight loss like I did. However, I would not say this is a program for KB beginners or even someone new to double KB routines. You need to be quite comfortable with the movements so you can focus on getting the most out of the workouts.

@Stoneface77

Congratulations on your success with EXTREME!. Nicely done!

And thank you for the detailed write up.

What are you planning on doing the next 2-3 months before you second time through?

Again, well done!

I haven't decided what to do next. I'm tempted to run Dry Fighting Weight or something similar with the 32's to build up my capacity with that weight (and to keep rolling with the gains I've made so far). But I also don't want to overdo it or get bored/burned out. So I'm also considering running Q&D for a while just to take a break. My worry with that is that when I come back to the double KB stuff I will have regressed. So still mulling it over.

Also, since you are on here, Mr. Neupert, I would like to take the opportunity to say thanks for the excellent and challenging programming you keep putting out. I've really benefited from your work.

Always love reading these program reviews and results. Nice work!

I haven't decided what to do next. I'm tempted to run Dry Fighting Weight or something similar with the 32's to build up my capacity with that weight (and to keep rolling with the gains I've made so far). But I also don't want to overdo it or get bored/burned out. So I'm also considering running Q&D for a while just to take a break. My worry with that is that when I come back to the double KB stuff I will have regressed. So still mulling it over.

If you're looking for a change of pace, but still want to use and keep making gains with your doubles for awhile, I've combined Q&D with @Fabio Zonin 's Simple Strength for Difficult Times: An 8-Week Progressive Plan | StrongFirst program for the last few months with good success. They pair beautifully. Either Q&D 033 or 044, doesn't matter, with double MP, double front squats and whatever pull you want. The cleans into the rack every set are just icing on the cake.

Well done...

You may want to do something easy for the next 4-8 weeks then do something to prepare for your run back with this program...

Perhaps revisit the first phase of KB Strong ?

are you running the Q&D on the same day as the lifts, or using on the off days in place of the swings?

Yes, on the off days, in place of the swings. I asked Fabio about it when he published the article and he felt it was fine. It's really a nice balance. Never felt that it was too much even as the volume ramps in the last couple of weeks.

Nice work Stoneface. I was doing it also but had to stop as I hurt my back towards the end of week 2 (doing yard work shovelling stones not KBs). I was pretty bummed out as I was down almost 4kgs at the time. The program was easier than I thought it would be up to that point, the exception being the cold showers (they sucked?). The weight was flying off me. I really liked the staggered eating days, I never felt like I was undereating even though I was. I'm starting back on the bells tonight and intend to do the full 4 weeks when I feel I'm up to it.

Yeah, cold showers not my fave. However, I did get used to doing hot and cold contrast showers and am convinced that's why I wasn't sore.

@Rumsmike, I do have a few different bells so I will take a closer look at those programs. Thanks for pointing them out as I think I somehow missed those articles when they came out.

cold showers: I've been doing them for the last several months. I discovered them through the Wim Hof method. If you slowly decrease the water temperature, while at the same time controlling your breathing, you'll soon notice that the water almost feels warm. There are a lot of benefits to cold showers, including recovery purposes. The energized feeling after the cold shower is second to none, in my opinion.

Anyways, after a few weeks of acclimating to cold showers, you'll be able to take your normal shower, and then finish it off by switching the water all the way cold for the last few minutes. Just start your breathing pattern first.

Also, not to hijack the thread, but I'm running Geoff Neupert's kettlebell WOD program. Today is workout #25, and I've never felt better.

cold showers: I've been doing them for the last several months. I discovered them through the Wim Hof method. If you slowly decrease the water temperature, while at the same time controlling your breathing, you'll soon notice that the water almost feels warm. There are a lot of benefits to cold showers, including recovery purposes. The energized feeling after the cold shower is second to none, in my opinion.

Anyways, after a few weeks of acclimating to cold showers, you'll be able to take your normal shower, and then finish it off by switching the water all the way cold for the last few minutes. Just start your breathing pattern first.
What's the breathing pattern you use?

It's a basic hyperventilating pattern. I just start breathing in and out really deep and quick. it's pretty reflexive once the cold water hits you. The main idea is to focus on your breathing, not the cold water. Do not hold your breath when the water hits you. It's very shocking to be in the cold water, but that's exactly what you want. Accept the discomfort, do not run from it. You have your breathing started, and under control when the water hits, and after about three seconds, everything calms down. Eventually, you can stand in the cold water as long as you wish. You will dictate how long you want to stay in the cold water, as the temperature will no longer be a factor. The cold water exposure promotes 'hardening'', which is to say it conditions your body for life's other stressful experiences.

Choosing to do an ice bath might be a different story. That is not something I have experienced.

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, and I'm certainly not promoting anything. I found the Wim Hof method online, and I've adopted the cold showers into my routine. I don't use his other meditation strategy (breath holding). I prefer square breathing or 4-7-8 breathing.

But, to tie it all back in to the OP, Geoff Neupert, as well as the rest of the kettlebell community, is a wonderful! I'm new here, and I'm hoping to give a little back, as so many of you already give so much. This is an amazing group of people, and I've grateful to have found it!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom