all posts post new thread

Barbell Rings and Deadlifts

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kyrinov

Level 5 Valued Member
Hey folks,

As I said in my earlier post on this forum I got a barbell and stuck it in my backyard. I also hung up my rings on an old fire escape, giving them a permanent home for the first time in years. I'm playing with a bit of an experiment in self-programming as I'm in the thick of being a new father (day 16!) and just moved to a new town and started a new job as a medic. Recovery is an ongoing issue. My body feels good but my CNS is taxed.

I've been working the rings for a few weeks now, trying to get the back lever as well as just improve my shoulder girdle strength and ROM. I'm very much autoregulating and I think this is the only way to go right now. I just wanted to outline the rough sketch of my programming and offer it up for critique or suggestion.

There are two basic days "good" and "bad" days (these are relative to my new normal as a dad)

Good days mean I do the back lever progressions. Bad days I do not.

Good day

2/3 x inverted suspension (single or double pistols in between)
3 x Back lever top-down, hold for 5-10 seconds (I extend fully and lower myself to just the point where I feel I can't maintain tension and control my position, then I just try to hang out there and really dial up the tension. If possible I tighten up further to return to vertical rather than let it go and drop down)
3x (2/3 reps DL @ 205lbs followed by one skin the cat)

Bad day is basically the same as above, minus the top-down lever progressions.

I do this every day. The goal is very much easy strength. My DL max was a 345 for a comfy two reps some time ago when I was much weaker, so I am operating in the 60% range at most for my DL. I am planning on doing this for a while as I pursue the back lever. I wanted to add in the DL for professional reasons and as a easy strength practice approach to the lift in preparation for eventually really working the lift seriously in a few weeks. For now I just want to keep at doubles and triples for totals under 10 reps at 205 and then when 205 feels REALLY easy I'll throw another 50 lbs on the bar to rinse and repeat. I am not looking to really go hard on the DL but just kinda improve the movement and learn on a relatively easy weight.

Don't have time to go into detail to my history but 6'3" 205 lbs, 30 yo, last doing S&S with 40k relatively comfortably.

No pressing training at all? Ring supports, ring dips, OAPU, handstands...?

Personally I'd bump up the deadlift in small increments every hundred total reps or so. That would be an extremely unscientific but great way to 'slow cook' the lift. Add 10lb every 100 reps you do. If you always go for 10 total reps a day that's increasing by about 3% every week and a half. If you're feeling strong and doing a bit more you'll add weight slightly more frequently but it still won't be rushing. Starting as low as you are (I'd go with something a bit heavier to start, maybe ~70%) that should enable a nice long progression without stalling, no fatigue, and lots of practice.

There is a place for those bigger jumps but if you really want it to always be easy, that might not be ideal.

Another option would of course be something with a bit of a cycle planned in, like PTTP or Justa's 3-5-7-9-11-13-15 singles program.

I intend on following PTTP once I'm in a state to do that. I like the program but just wanted to practice the movement to perfection for the time being. I like the 10 lb increment idea. I started with 205 because I felt it was a weight that never left me feeling spent but still was heavy enough that I could feel it. I'll make the jump to 255 soon and then slow cook as you suggest. Pressing gets done, but not programmed. Do three C&Ps each side on the 24k whenever I happen to look at it, OAPU on work downtime, one minute pushups whenever a quiet moment at home. Thanks for the help, carrying on carrying on. Learning that sometimes its not how much I'm doing or how I'm progressing, sometimes its just enough to keep on keeping on to keep up good habits built up in easier times.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom