all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Rings - false grip

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

wespom9

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi all,

I have started to really get into gymnastics rings training. I am curious to see if anyone has a good progression to get muscle ups. I can do about 3-4 good pullups without the false grip, but still find it hard to pull up high enough. That being said, I find I am struggling with the false grip the most. Progressions on how to practice this with increasing difficulty would be great! Most material I've found (little bit of Sommer material, some GMB stuff) seems to skim over this part, unless I'm missing it.

Thanks!

It's one of my goals too. I don't have time to train for it yet, but this day will come.

Typical progressions for muscle ups on rings are:
1. Foot assisted hang with false grip
2. Free hang with false grip
3. False grip rows
4. False grip pullups
5. Foot assisted muscle up
6. Negative muscle up (use a chair or a box to jump up)
7. Muscle up

I think aiming for several sets (something like 3x30s or 3x5) with good form before jumping to the next progression is advisable.

Hello,

@wespom9
I needed what follows to get a proper ring muscle up (no kipping)
=> 15 - 20 strict pull ups in full ROM, normal pace
=> 15 - 20 plyometrics pull ups in full ROM.
=> 15 - 20 dips in full ROM, normal pace.
=> special focus on false grip.
=> special focus on transition.

I worked on pull ups and dips the standard way (pull ups on a bar, dips on standard support).

I worked on the false grip as an exercise in itself. I admit that I did not work pull ups on a false grip.

I worked on the transition with feet on the ground. IMO it is the most difficult part of this move.

Below, a link with a quite good tutorial (this one helps me a lot):

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Maybe I am wrong, but I think he is lookinf for MU progressions due to this sentence
"if anyone has a good progression to get muscle ups"

However, I understood that there is a special issue with the false grip in itself.
Here, the false grip (2'20''):

However, to be honest, transition and false grip are the most difficult part of the U.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I was looking for muscle up progressions, but specifically any tips on improving the false grip. They somewhat go hand in hand, and all the advice makes sense so far. Apologies for the confusion!

I was looking for muscle up progressions, but specifically any tips on improving the false grip. They somewhat go hand in hand, and all the advice makes sense so far. Apologies for the confusion!
More than Muscle-up progressions, I'd look to just get better at Pull-ups. 4-5 is an excellent start, but you'll have trouble building up a good Muscle-up without having an "effortless", snappy Pull-up. And you won't get that until you start hitting possible double digits. Especially for Ring Muscle-ups where things can be harsh on your soft tissue, it'd be good to have that base first IMO.

Good to know, thanks! My plan was to practice the bent arm false grip hang, moving to straight arm, while concurrently working on pullups with a normal grip.

Hello,

I trained for pull ups on a bar. Same for dips. IMO, reaching 20 of each is a prerequisite. Of course, you can work on the false grip and transition (to make it smooth) simultaneously.

However, if you build enough strength, the transition is only a matter of some days. I worked on it 2 or 3 days and then passed the MU.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@pet' ,

that post you made with the tutorial was exactly what I'm looking for. Really exposed me to how poor my false grip is. Could barely do 8 seconds for 3 reps on the bent arm hang. Now I know where to begin!

Hello,

@wespom9
I am glad it helps you ! Muscle up in itself sure requires strength (above all for the pull which has to put you quite high).

Then, it is mainly a matter of coordination.

My modest "tip" would be to work on the grip and transition with feet on the floor. It will create motor reflex and will build the right and smooth transition you need.

Tell us how it goes !

Pet'

It is working so far! I am still practicing my bent arm false grip holds - up to 15-20 seconds now. About to start slowly adding in some straight arm hangs. @pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom