all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Rings, TRX, etc....worth it for pullups?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

crazycanuck

Level 9 Valued Member
Debating purchasing a pair of gymnastic rings. Mainly working on pullup progressions at the moment (hangs, negatives, hollow hold practice on the floor, etc in a sort of grease the groove fashion), so not sure if would use the rings for other exercises. Do feel I am making some progress in what I am doing albeit slowly which I expect being a beginner.

I do see alot of pullup programs advocating bodyweight rows. I do realize with rings one can make them easier, harder with feet placement, and that there are some other contributing factors to a successful pullup as well. Do rows and what they strengthen make a contribution or would this be a waste of time/$$ vs just increasing hanging time, slowing and holding in parts of the negative, etc

Very curious to see others experiences in this...

You’ve got everything you need in the Pullup bar itself, if cost is an issue.

However there are few bodyweight implements as useful and versatile as rings. TRX is awesome, especially for travel or snow days without a Pullup bar.

At a certain point though...I dont think any of these implements will fast track your Pullup progress any more than what you’re currently using.

You spent a loooing time working towards Simple. You’ve got the drive to get a Pullup one day as well!

Hello,

This is very easy to build ones own TRX. This is cheaper that way and gets the job done as well. Both rings and TRX are good of pull ups in terms of joints because they can find their natural angles. If you "force" a pronation or supination, it creates an additional effort due to the required stabilization (so this is very interesting).

Kind regards,

Pet'

I have a trx but I don’t feel like I utilize it fully with all of the options you have with them. I’ve used mine more for push up progressions. There are maybe other pull up progressions I’m unaware if with trx. I kind of prefer using a pull up bar for practicing pull ups vs. trx.

I created a suspension trainer out of paracorde and 2 pvc handles..

The whole set up should cost you less than $10 and is actually easier and more versatile than rings or trx.

You basically just choose the length you want your system to be, and then double up paracorde to match that length.

Tie the pvc handles to each side of the rope using a bowline knot (easy knot found on youtube).
...PM me if you need better instructions. It really is a great piece of gear that fits in your panta pocket, unlike rings or trx..

My best pull-up numbers were when I was not doing any pull-ups and was only doing seated narrow grip cable rows which would be similar to narrow ring bodyweight rows. However, rings make it a little more difficult to work specific grips (supinated, neutral, pronated) for pull-ups which is a factor in training the specific muscle pattern though. Assistance bands can still be looped through a ring but it makes it a little less symmetrical but I'm not sure how bad it affects it.

If it were me, I would work on a bunch of different grip pull-ups on a bar using assistance bands. Perhaps use an assistance band to do the Armstrong pull-up program.

I have a set of gymnastics rings, I like them in the summer, (I only have a doorway pull up bar, not that great but it works in a pinch) there useful for travel.

Indeed, as Beyonce herself said:

cause if you can hang it, put a ring on it.

Rings all the way.

Rings v trx.....one of them comes with a duotone bag and fabric developed by nasa. It'll have a workout chart, a downloadable app, a voucher for discount for some protein powder and even a plastic sports bottle for your protein shake. The other is a strap with a ring.
One of them needs marketing, fluff and fitness jargon to sell in our modern times, the other is a timeless piece of strength training equipment.
I suppose you can do more stuff with trx like stick your feet in comfy straps with all that touchy-feely fabric softener, do some semaphore and wear matching lycra. You could just do pull ups, dips and skin some cats with rings.
Clearly a biased view but there you go.

I prefer the TRX, I can hang a TRX from a tree if I want to. I have easier access to more movements, and they don't have to cost a ton of money. You can easily search out an inexpensive suspension trainer. Now if you only plan on training with access to a bar or solid overhead, go nuts with the rings. I travel from time to time and can always use my TRX.

Debating purchasing a pair of gymnastic rings. Mainly working on pullup progressions at the moment (hangs, negatives, hollow hold practice on the floor, etc in a sort of grease the groove fashion), so not sure if would use the rings for other exercises. Do feel I am making some progress in what I am doing albeit slowly which I expect being a beginner.

I do see alot of pullup programs advocating bodyweight rows. I do realize with rings one can make them easier, harder with feet placement, and that there are some other contributing factors to a successful pullup as well. Do rows and what they strengthen make a contribution or would this be a waste of time/$$ vs just increasing hanging time, slowing and holding in parts of the negative, etc

Very curious to see others experiences in this...
Rings and TRX are both very good pieces of kit. They are also very versatile. The key issue is whether you will actually use them. If you buy them and use them, money well spent. If you dont use them, you've wasted your cash!
You can do alot more with rings / TRX than you can to on a bar alone, but you have to WANT to do it!

If you're strong enough you can skip TRX and just do rings. I think rings are about the most genius invention ever for callisthenics, invented only in the 19th Century I think, and invented specifically for strength building. If for some reason I didn't have my free weights I'd be spending a lot of time on the rings.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom