all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Rite of passage Fat loss and strength plateau

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Amey Patil

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello from india !!
First time getting fit ..
I have unfortunately reached a fat loss plateau .. have dropped from 36 percent body fat to 24 percent uptill now looking to reach 15 percent bodyfat

Successfully finished the PM from ETK with a 16kg bell now doing the Rite of passage .. pressing with 5 ladders 3 rungs on light and 5 ladders 5 rungs on heavy days..
Can do TGUs with a 24 kg bell but can't press one overhead for more than one rep :(
help !!!

The PM gave great fat loss results but ever since I shifted to the ROP workouts I have experienced a stalled fat loss infact I feel like I have gained some.

I was thinking of doing 24kg PM swings and getups on variety and rest days during the ROP for fat burn since swings gave me great results for fat loss .. my primary Target is fat loss .. any help gentlemen ??!

Welcome to the forum, Amey!

If swings and get-ups were working for you there is no reason to stop at 16kg. As a matter of fact the current Strong First recommendation is to work to 32kg with the program minimum. This is called Simple and Sinister and there is an excellent book with tons of guidance. This is a time tested way to get fit and it definitely helps with body composition.

You do know you can actually recycle the rite of passage then just rest shorter between rungs and sets, the density component will nudge your strength up a bit and also help with fat loss..

Since you are focusing on fat loss, I would not worry about seeing strength soar thru the roof, that should be merely a bonus

What if I keep working towards the S&S target of 32 kg by doing PM style swings on variety days .. I had read that 100 swings in 5 minutes is progression in S&S ..
that way i get 3 days exclusive for 24 kg swings and getups in a week and 3 days ROP with 16kg ..

What if I keep working towards the S&S target of 32 kg by doing PM style swings on variety days .. I had read that 100 swings in 5 minutes is progression in S&S ..
that way i get 3 days exclusive for 24 kg swings and getups in a week and 3 days ROP with 16kg ..
And should i stop with the ROP workouts all together ??

And should i stop with the ROP workouts all together ??
The best way for most people is to get to the Simple standard before ROP or other programs. Once you can comfortably handle the 32kg bell for swings and get ups you will have a lot of good programming options. Just be patient and stick with it. The journey is absolutely worth it.

The best way for most people is to get to the Simple standard before ROP or other programs. Once you can comfortably handle the 32kg bell for swings and get ups you will have a lot of good programming options. Just be patient and stick with it. The journey is absolutely worth it.
And if far burning is the goal, you can focus a bit more on swings, as TGU is less of a tool for this.

That said, ROP should provide you with at least the same fat burning effect as S&S. Are you doing all the ballistic parts of ROP? What are you doing on variety days?

Quite frankly in my humble opinion, pairing clean and presses with pullups jacks my heart rate pretty high, especially when the rest periods are kept in check. It should definitely burn some blubber for sure!

Welcome and congrats on your initial achievements!???

S&S is great. There is a revised and updated edition that focuses on Timeless achievements - the timed challenge (100 swings in 5 minutes) comes later. And yes, that means postponing the ROP cycles.

I would try to focus on the long run. Following S&S and replacing some fats and carbs with veggies for one year will make you much stronger, leaner - and healthier!

As they say, muscles are built in the weight room, but a six pack is made in the kitchen.

Furthermore you might want to consider an intermittent fasting schedule.

And if far burning is the goal, you can focus a bit more on swings, as TGU is less of a tool for this.

That said, ROP should provide you with at least the same fat burning effect as S&S. Are you doing all the ballistic parts of ROP? What are you doing on variety days?
Yes i am doing complete ROP with double 16kgs ..
On variety days I am doing the manmaker style swings ( 20 swings then jumprope for 12 mins then next week 30 swings and jumprope adding 10 swings everyweek now i am upto sets of 30 swings and jumprope ) and TGUs from the ETK so that next ROP cycle i can with do the 24kg ..
One day i take off in the week

Yes i am doing complete ROP with double 16kgs ..
On variety days I am doing the manmaker style swings ( 20 swings then jumprope for 12 mins then next week 30 swings and jumprope adding 10 swings everyweek now i am upto sets of 30 swings and jumprope ) and TGUs from the ETK so that next ROP cycle i can with do the 24kg ..
One day i take off in the week
You’re doing ROP with double 16kg kettlebells? That’s not pure ROP :)

How many sets of those 20-30 swings you do in a session? And how many on ROP days, I mean not variety? How long are your rest periods? Current SF standards call for up to 10swings per set, in order to maintain quality. You can always cut down the rest time between sets if you’re after burning calories.

Most of the people here will agree that taking your swings to heavier bells should be your priority.

You’re doing ROP with double 16kg kettlebells? That’s not pure ROP :)

How many sets of those 20-30 swings you do in a session? And how many on ROP days, I mean not variety? How long are your rest periods? Current SF standards call for up to 10swings per set, in order to maintain quality. You can always cut down the rest time between sets if you’re after burning calories.

Most of the people here will agree that taking your swings to heavier bells should be your priority.
ROP days Monday Wednesday and Saturday
c&p ladders 5 x 3 on light , 5x 5 on heavy plus pullups then the timed sets as prescribed (rolling the dice ) with 16kg one arm ..

Variety days
30 swings almost 5-6 sets till 12 minutes With 1 min jumprope in between as active rest with 24kg bell .. once I reach set of 50 i will move to heavier bell 32kg

ROP days Monday Wednesday and Saturday
c&p ladders 5 x 3 on light , 5x 5 on heavy plus pullups then the timed sets as prescribed (rolling the dice ) with 16kg one arm ..

Variety days
30 swings almost 5-6 sets till 12 minutes With 1 min jumprope in between as active rest with 24kg bell .. once I reach set of 50 i will move to heavier bell 32kg

You are doing more than you should. In ROP, variety days are not supposed to be heavy or intense, they have to be light. Doing up to 180 swings is not light. This might be a bigger problem in a calorie deficit like you are. Keep in mind that on these days you are supposed to recover from the training you did the day before. If you do 180 swings with jump rope in between sets, you are not giving much room to recover and make progress. You are not giving much room to recover from the 180 swings you do one day, because the day after you have heavy presses. So eventually you'll stall at everything.

If you want to make progress, do the program as written. That is: keep variety days light and easy.

You could switch to S&S if you want, but make sure you do it as written and dont add much to it. If you do things right you can be at 15% bodyfat a year from now. If you do things perfectly you can be at 15% body fat six months from now.

Last edited:
Hello,

+1 @Oscar
On variety days, recovery and / or light weight should be the main focus, above all on a calorie deficit.

Then, some options may be easy running, swimming, or jumping rope. Even walking may be good

Kind regards,

Pet'

my primary Target is fat loss

have dropped from 36 percent body fat to 24 percent uptill now looking to reach 15 percent bodyfat

Successfully finished the PM from ETK with a 16kg bell
Cause and effect, and a good result.

I have unfortunately reached a fat loss plateau

now doing the Rite of passage
Also cause and effect - the ROP is not particularly a fat loss program.

any help gentlemen ??!
As others have suggested, purchase the revised edition of S&S and get to work. You would start gradually working your 24 kg into your training.

-S-

Cause and effect, and a good result.

Also cause and effect - the ROP is not particularly a fat loss program.

As others have suggested, purchase the revised edition of S&S and get to work. You would start gradually working your 24 kg into your training.

-S-
Hello Mr Steve freides
I did manage to press the 24 kg bell slowly slowly by improving the body tension techniques .. I have been resting well hence the improvement too I think ..

I am currently in the last 2 weeks of my ROP CYCLE 16kg bell .
I was looking for advice on how to incorporate some practice with the 24 kg bell on my variety days for my next cycle with the 24 kg bell ..
In the BOOK the Russian kettlebell challenge there is a mention of side presses and bent presses helping the overhead press because of the lats activation ..
Can u provide some information on how to keep practicing with the heavier bell on variety days please ?
Thanking u in advance !

@Amey Patil, it sounds like you're doing well. Others here have much more experience with the bent press and I will leave it to them to comment on that. I can also recommend the jerk or pushpress to get the bell overhead, then lowering under control as a way to get used to a heavier weight. And StrongFirst also recommends the Loaded Clean - another great way to feel the heavier weight.

-S-

Ive lost fat pretty quickly twice.
First time involved lots of hiking and GTG OAPU and Pistols
2nd time involved a stupid amount of Clean and Jerks, and Front Squats.
Both methods are excellent and made me stronger. I didn't lose weight during ROP.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom