all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Rite of Passage: off days.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

NormanOsborn

Level 5 Valued Member
I've been re-reading Enter the Kettlebell and I've decided to try Rite of Passage. Overhead pressing was always a weak point for me; I injured my right shoulder four years ago and since then all my pressing has been horizontal. Either Football Bar Bench or Barbell Floor Press. I've done some Military Presses with my lightest Bell - 16kg - and it felt good to be lifting even that small amount of weight above my head again. There is just something primitively satisfying about strict pressing a heavy weight above one's head with sheer, brute strength. I'd say it's a guy thing, but I know for a fact there are a lot of women who can press heavier KB's than I can!?

If I'm reading the program correctly - and I'm probably not, lol- Rite of Passage has three training days, Heavy, Medium and Light. Normally, that would be more than enough, as I'd also be training in the gym and dojo. But we're still locked down right now, and will be for another 2 - 3 weeks at least. So can I do Swings etc on the days I'm not training RoP?

I think you have a couple additional options. If you plan on keeping RoP 3 days a week and only want to supplement until you aren't locked down, you could add S&S with a comfortable weight 2-3 days a week.

If you want an integrated program with more time commitment, this is what I did to prepare for RoP. I used S&S first and then added supplemental pressing. I cleared this with my SFG coach Anna Cannington, and we tweaked it over time.

While working on the 24kg-32kg for S&S, I used a 16kg for pressing. I didn't do any conditioning swings, snatches, or pull-ups. Just the reps for the heavy. light, and medium press days.

Sunday - off
Monday - S&S 2 handed swings, RoP heavy
Tuesday - off
Wednesday - S&S 1 handed swings, RoP light
Thursday - S&S 1 handed swings
Friday - S&S 2 handed swings, RoP medium
Saturday - S&S 1 handed swings

Once I finished the full cycle with the 16kg, I tested and moved up to the 24kg. I did tweak my should toward the end because I should have limited my pressing with the 24kg because I was finishing Timeless Simple.

I did feel like I got the best of both worlds. I was able to progress with Simple and still got to practice my presses.

Reread p136-140. If you look at page 150-151, Pavel lays out a week for you. That answers a few of your questions.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom