all posts post new thread

Barbell Rite of Passage w/ a Barbell for OHP

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ridergetsfit

First Post
I have decided to start Rite of Passage, but to use a Barbell instead of kettlebell.

What are your thoughts?

I am using 126lbs and just finished the first workout of week 1.

My 1rm for OHP is 185lb.

A goal of mine is to press the Beast.

Sounds good to me! Is there a reason you chose to do barbell presses instead of KB presses if your goal is a heavy KB press?

@ridergetsfit, I believe the issues of double kettlebell presses is addressed in the book, Return of the Kettlebell (ROTK). A two-handed press is going to place more load on the lower back than a single arm version, so - again, if memory serves correctly - the recommendation is not to work up to 5 ladders to 5 but stick to ladders of 1-2-3.

I cannot make a direct comparison between a double kettlebell press and a barbell press, except to say that I think, as regards load to the lower back, they are similar.

-S-

I want to see how the barbell press carries over to the kettlebell press.

I think a closer carryover would be pressing with a trap bar (neutral grip).

This may or may not help you; I have a minor shoulder impingement that gets aggravated by single and double kettlebell presses. A trap bar press on the other hand is a non-issue... go figure!

Return of the Kettlebell (ROTK). A two-handed press is going to place more load on the lower back than a single arm version, so - again, if memory serves correctly - the recommendation is not to work up to 5 ladders to 5 but stick to ladders of 1-2-3.
At ROTK, reps for grind could be as high as 10. There is no mention about skipping 5 ladders of 5.

I have decided to start Rite of Passage, but to use a Barbell instead of kettlebell.

What are your thoughts?

I am using 126lbs and just finished the first workout of week 1.

My 1rm for OHP is 185lb.

A goal of mine is to press the Beast.
Do you clean and press or just one clean and press, or press from the rack?

At ROTK, reps for grind could be as high as 10. There is no mention about skipping 5 ladders of 5.
But ROTK is a different program. I thought the question was about the ROP, as written but with double bells of the same size.

-S-

Thanks for all your input guys. I just tested myself on the 40kg kettlebell and was able to get 2 reps. I have been using the 5x(1,2,3) and will start adding reps to each of the rungs.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom