all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Rite Of Passage

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I think these are clever options, but why complicate? Keep the plan simple and achievable. If the plan with a 20 is too easy (which my feeling is that it is not too easy) what's the harm in that? No risk at all, but you are guaranteed to be ready for the 24. Adding and pushing it induces tons of risk. What's the benefit? Best case you maybe save a few weeks in a lifetime pursuit? Not worth it in my opinion. The more probable outcome is discouragement and setback. Enjoy the process. Master your technique. Finish the plan as written.
They're both for after you've completed ROP (5 ladders of 1-2-3-4-5) but are still not ready to move up to the next size bell. It is still simple and achievable, but now rather than flailing around looking for the next program because you're not ready to run it again with the next bell, you have a clear progression that works and keeps you focused.

For me, it is not complicating the program but extending it while maximizing the amount of training you can do with a single bell. Providing a progression like this shouldn't contribute to discouragement - you have a path to follow and guideposts along the way.

Everything in Option 1 came from recommendations by Pavel in the past when you weren't ready to bell up (next bell was too heavy) or couldn't (lack of availability of the next size). I think the W:R idea originally came from @Geoff Neupert but I found it from a recommendation by Pavel who attributed it to him. Option 2 I stole from @Hector G but he was using it in a different context - but I have used it here successfully as well.

They're both for after you've completed ROP (5 ladders of 1-2-3-4-5) but are still not ready to move up to the next size bell. It is still simple and achievable, but now rather than flailing around looking for the next program because you're not ready to run it again with the next bell, you have a clear progression that works and keeps you focused.

For me, it is not complicating the program but extending it while maximizing the amount of training you can do with a single bell. Providing a progression like this shouldn't contribute to discouragement - you have a path to follow and guideposts along the way.

Everything in Option 1 came from recommendations by Pavel in the past when you weren't ready to bell up (next bell was too heavy) or couldn't (lack of availability of the next size). I think the W:R idea originally came from @Geoff Neupert but I found it from a recommendation by Pavel who attributed it to him. Option 2 I stole from @Hector G but he was using it in a different context - but I have used it here successfully as well.
Like I said, clever. I'm not saying they wouldn't work or would work. I'm just advocating for simplicity based on my personal experience and experience with my students and with this particular plan. In cases where I've seen RoP completed, but the next bell is too heavy the simplest and most effective solution has been to simply run that bell again.

Don't get me wrong, I love solving problems and bringing ideas together to formulate a plan. It's a process I enjoy, but that doesn't mean it's a process that I should deploy for it's own sake. Sometimes having all of these "tools" creates the perception that there is even a problem to solve when perhaps there is not.

Again, just my opinions.

Last edited:
If I may add...in the fall of 2018 I ran through the ROP. I had been doing double bells almost exclusively for several years. I forgot how the single bell "felt" pressing it.

I did the program with a 28. In 2015 I did it with a 40 and at the time I pressed the beast easily so obviously the 28 didn't tax me tremendously BUT I came away leaner and somehow stronger. I saw a SF video that was really informative about pressing and I forgot the gentleman instructor who did the video but in it he said something to the effect of "its not about pressing heavy, its about pressing well "......it stuck with me. I hadn't single arm pressed in QUITE a while and I used the 28 to work on form and as a tonic/deload. It worked super well...so well I haven't repeated it !

My long-winded point. If the 20 seems light, you'll still reap benefits from it! This program gets quite voluminous and it pays off.

Last edited:
You already have some great advice here. Amazing ideas to modify and tweak, but I really like the suggestions made by @James Sullivan and @Mark Limbaga . Lets have a look at your press and see if the technique is ok, and then I would stick to @James Sullivan 's suggestion of keeping things simple and being patient with it. Be conservative and invest time and effort before you start reaping the dividends. I also realised that some of the simpler programs that take a lot of time are a sure shot way to get stronger. I've seen that with RoP and I am seeing that with the ROTK plan that @Mark Limbaga put me on. They take time but what's the rush ? You are chasing your self, so improve 1% every day and that's it !!

PS: BTW, I really like some ideas that were mentioned here. I'm book marking these for a future run of RoP with a 28 later this year.

By the way, the video I was referring to was from Joe Sansalone from like 5 or 6 years or so ago. It's a good one but I'm technology challenged and don't really know how to post the video here.

Kind of "justifies" for a lack of a better term the use of a lighter kettlebell for press ladders when you can do more. Think about "pressing well"......in my case I kept a 2 second pause in the rack, pressed overhead and paused 2 seconds again....it gave me a nice training effect!

Kind of "justifies" for a lack of a better term the use of a lighter kettlebell for press ladders when you can do more. Think about "pressing well"......in my case I kept a 2 second pause in the rack, pressed overhead and paused 2 seconds again....it gave me a nice training effect!
Yes, I think of it as letting the almost-effortless volume do the work, never getting into that “grind” that happens when you’re always focusing on pushing reps or pushing weight to very high RPE.

Woo those 2s pauses would be brutal after a few sets!!

Yes, I think of it as letting the almost-effortless volume do the work, never getting into that “grind” that happens when you’re always focusing on pushing reps or pushing weight to very high RPE.

Woo those 2s pauses would be brutal after a few sets!!
Yes, they made it fun for sure!

@kaptajnos is the 2-3RM on the 24kg doing C&Ps, or just doing the military press? I highly recommend the Victorious course by Fabio Zonin. Fantastic info for technique, and doing the one weight KB program with your 20 (which he has said would work for doubles) could be a really solid way to get the reps up on the 24.

Hi,

I’m in a similar situation to yours.
After achieving Simple, I mostly worked on my press with doubles (Strong!, DFW, The Giant)
I finished the Giant 1.2 with 2x24kg and currently press 2x28kg.
But I know that if I wanted to switch to ROP, I’ll certainly need to use a 24kg.
My technique with single presses is not on par with my technique with doubles (2 years of practice difference) that’s all.

I cannot imagine running ROP with a 28kg with my current technique. And from what you say, I think you should not use your 24kg. Practice that single press groove first.
ROP is a lot of pressing volume, it will still be challenging even with your 20kg, I’m sure of it.

However the good news is that working with doubles should have given you a lot of strength in the hips for your snatches.

“On the other hand i havent snatched very much in the past and doing 10 on each side with the 24kgs is really close to my TRM, so i guess starting abit lighter wouldnt hurt.”

I would say if you can snatch 24kg 10 times then definitely do the ROP w 24kg….

Thank you all again ! :)
as i said before i really appriciate all the imput and good ideas !, sorry if i dont personally comment on every super reply i got. i love you all just the same!
I decided to just do what i prolly just have begun with, "just" to do the program with 20kg bell and really try and get good slow reps in, as in the Vid John Grahill posted, im pausing at the rack at at lockput just doin em super slow. did a session today 1-3 reps rungs of 4 ladders with pullups, and it didnt feel easy at all so i think im good :)

And I think if im being completely honest with my self, some of this "only 20kgs" has something with to do with my own stupid Ego. Here i am all day reading post about all you supermen lifting 32k and more. and im thinking im not that weak i should be able to do at least 24!
But its kinda what i learning in my short crossfit career, check your ego at the door! :)

On a side Note Nutrition wise, would you recommend a surplus for this kind of program ?

Thank you all again

Love Morten

@kaptajnos is the 2-3RM on the 24kg doing C&Ps, or just doing the military press? I highly recommend the Victorious course by Fabio Zonin. Fantastic info for technique, and doing the one weight KB program with your 20 (which he has said would work for doubles) could be a really solid way to get the reps up on the 24.
Thats C&P, and thanks for the recomendation :) - Im pretty sure that my stricts presses even with the 20kgs are way lower, somehow the clean give you a small "rest" i feel, :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom