all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Rite Of Passage

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@kaptajnos:
Here is an idea:

Continue with singles with your 24 kg bell. Work up to 30 reps on your heavy day, doing 50% of it on your light day and 75% on your medium day. Then try to do the 30 reps with ladders of (1,2), dropping to singles if necessary. After that you should be ready to go with the (1,2,3) progression. Maybe stay on a given step for more than a week to solidify you gains. And maybe rest more between sets than you are used to!

Another variation could be to do singles GTG throught the day. As an option, deload the negative: "A note to Comrades who apply the “Grease the Groove” program from my book The Naked Warrior to the kettlebell military press: lowering the lion’s share of your presses—say three-quarters of all the reps—two-handed will enable you to handle a greater volume without fatigue" (Pavel in ETK Special Report #1). (Put the free hand on the body of the bell for this maneuver.)
I need to try this two hand manevour some time! How can we reach to such special reports from Pavel?

I think @James Sullivan is on the right track, but I think I'd throw in two "options."

Option 1: Stick with the 20kg for ROP. If you finish the ladder progression (5x1-2-3-4-5) with the 20kg easily, and still aren't ready to move to 24kg, start decreasing rest with the goal of 1:1 Work:Rest between reps and ladders. So 1 rep right/left takes you 20s, rest 20s, then do the 2 rep rung, etc. If the 5/5 rep rung takes 1 minute, then you have 1 minute rest before your next ladder. After you can complete all 5 ladders with 5 rungs at this, switch to 2-3-5 ladders and work up to 10 ladders on heavy day, then start adding a fourth rung of 10 reps, with the goal of getting to 5 ladders of 2-3-5-10 on heavy day. This is my preferred option - I find getting those higher reps to be great, but you do have to be careful that you don't get lax on your technique.

Option 2: Use the 24kg on your light days - so at first you're running it for 3x1, and then slowly growing it each week. This makes your light day your heavy weight day but your light volume day. Your heavy and medium days become more of a medium weight / higher volume days, and if you want to run it at full ladders (5x-1-2-3-4-5), cool, but the light day is the one you're progressing so it is no longer based off your heavy day.

Personally, option 1 is my favorite and I've used it to make a light weight an effective training stimulus. I've used option 2 and it has its place, but I feel better for longer when I use a method like Option 1. Grinding into a weight has its place, I just like using it less now-a-days than I used to.
I have a question about this one. I am slowly comming to the end of my Rite of Passage 24kg. Today i managed to do 5 ladders of 4s. So in a few weeks i thing is should be able to do 5 of 5s. But i am still unable to press the 32kg (the next higher Bell i have at home). I can Jerk it maybe for one but not pressing it clean.
So my question is why do you prefere option 1 over option 2. Option 1 seems to build more endurance and not more strength (of course strength should also increase). Shouldn't option 2 be better suited for getting stronger and beeing able to push the next heavier Bell? I can understand that option 1 is a great training and i am sure you will feel great after finishig it with the time restrictions and with the added volume. But just for the sake of beeing able to press the next heavier weight shouldn't be option 2 the preferable option?

I have a question about this one. I am slowly comming to the end of my Rite of Passage 24kg. Today i managed to do 5 ladders of 4s. So in a few weeks i thing is should be able to do 5 of 5s. But i am still unable to press the 32kg (the next higher Bell i have at home). I can Jerk it maybe for one but not pressing it clean.
So my question is why do you prefere option 1 over option 2. Option 1 seems to build more endurance and not more strength (of course strength should also increase). Shouldn't option 2 be better suited for getting stronger and beeing able to push the next heavier Bell? I can understand that option 1 is a great training and i am sure you will feel great after finishig it with the time restrictions and with the added volume. But just for the sake of beeing able to press the next heavier weight shouldn't be option 2 the preferable option?
Any chance you have a video of your top rung presses? Especially rung on ladder 3 and 4

That will give us more clues if you can do your pressing better or you just need to spend more time accumulating volume while polishing technique and/or compressing the time to complete all ladders

Any chance you have a video of your top rung presses? Especially rung on ladder 3 and 4

That will give us more clues if you can do your pressing better or you just need to spend more time accumulating volume while polishing technique and/or compressing the time to complete all ladders
I will try to record one. I have a slight bend but not that extrem i think. The press is mostly very slow and grindy.

You're not even close to the end of the ROP with the 24. When you can do 5, and do all 75 reps with a 24, then repeat successfully for 8-12 weeks until you fully own the bell.

Enjoy the grind and stop looking ahead. Work on density, how fast can you do all 75 reps in good form and try to reduce it.

8 kg is quite a jump.

There was a nice ETK special report on pressing heavier bells sooner. It prescribed
a) High tension presses (BU, one legged, etc.)
b) Overloads with a heavier bell:
For example
- 5x5 cleans + 5 TGUs
- Assisted presses (Quarter press with the 32 kg, finish the rest of the press and of the negative with assistance of the free hand, pressing against the side of the bell)

You're not even close to the end of the ROP with the 24. When you can do 5, and do all 75 reps with a 24, then repeat successfully for 8-12 weeks until you fully own the bell.

Enjoy the grind and stop looking ahead. Work on density, how fast can you do all 75 reps in good form and try to reduce it.
Agreed!

Now I'm no expert but I have done the program more than once.

I took almost a year and a half to even attempt my 1/2 bodyweight press.

It is the program that reinvigorated my interest in resistance training!

good afternoon, I have dabbled with the Anthony DiLugio workbook version, but would be interested if there is in existence a written out guide on the original in the book with added pullups - not sure if this has been asked before so apologies in advance

good afternoon, I have dabbled with the Anthony DiLugio workbook version, but would be interested if there is in existence a written out guide on the original in the book with added pullups - not sure if this has been asked before so apologies in advance
@si mac, welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

This guidance is in the ETK book. The recommendation is to match PU reps with press reps, e.g., 1 press left, 1 press right, 1 pullup; 2 presses left, 2 presses right, 2 pullups, etc.

Many people adjust this in various ways, e.g., some do fewer pullups than presses, some only do pullups for the first few rungs of a ladder and skip them when the pressing gets tough to complete, some don't do them on heavy day, some do all their pullups at once after each ladder and not each rung, some need to add weight to keep their pullup numbers down to where their presses are, some need to add assistance to get their pullup numbers up to where their presses are, and the possibilities, while not endless, are nonetheless many.

-S-

Hi Steve , thanks for the reply ! My fault I meant an idiots guide to the layout of the program in terms of light heavy days etc - if anyone had something like that in existence, thanks again for the reply

Hi Steve , thanks for the reply ! My fault I meant an idiots guide to the layout of the program in terms of light heavy days etc - if anyone had something like that in existence, thanks again for the reply
I always find that taking the source material and rewriting it into a format that resonates with my own way of thinking is the best way to have one's own idiots guide.
That's not to say you shouldn't return to the source periodically to reassess your comprehension but somebody else may misinterpret it. Similar to the recent post where 13 weeks is referred to.

Well, first of all make sure to read the original material which covers a lot of ground.

That being said, here is the summary by @Kettlebelephant
8-jpg.2385

Source: Kettlebell - one arm press

The heavy days spelled out, from the same thread
123 123 123
123 123 123 123
123 123 123 123 123
1234 123 123 123 123
1234 1234 123 123 123
1234 1234 1234 123 123
1234 1234 1234 1234 123
1234 1234 1234 1234 1234
12345 1234 1234 1234 1234
12345 12345 1234 1234 1234
12345 12345 12345 1234 1234
12345 12345 12345 12345 1234
12345 12345 12345 12345 12345

As discussed in another recent thread, feel free to repeat certain weeks to solidify your gains, especially before going up a rung.

And seriously, reread the book a couple of times, as there are a few details to it, as with all of Pavel's material. (Unfortunately, there are a few formatting mistakes, for example regarding the variety days.)

Just making a guess here... Any chance your a kababayan??

Well, first of all make sure to read the original material which covers a lot of ground.

That being said, here is the summary by @Kettlebelephant
8-jpg.2385

Source: Kettlebell - one arm press

The heavy days spelled out, from the same thread
123 123 123
123 123 123 123
123 123 123 123 123
1234 123 123 123 123
1234 1234 123 123 123
1234 1234 1234 123 123
1234 1234 1234 1234 123
1234 1234 1234 1234 1234
12345 1234 1234 1234 1234
12345 12345 1234 1234 1234
12345 12345 12345 1234 1234
12345 12345 12345 12345 1234
12345 12345 12345 12345 12345

As discussed in another recent thread, feel free to repeat certain weeks to solidify your gains, especially before going up a rung.

And seriously, reread the book a couple of times, as there are a few details to it, as with all of Pavel's material. (Unfortunately, there are a few formatting mistakes, for example regarding the variety days.)
I revisit the ETK book periodically and still learn something

A couple answers with the thought process, not necessarily recommendations for you...

Getting stronger can mean using a bigger bell - like in Soju and Tuba. It can also mean doing more with a particular bell - like in the Giant series. Stronger is relative to where you were - can you do more weight or more reps or in less time? Then you got stronger.

For guiding training, this is person dependent.

- How do you enjoy training?
If you hate those high rep sets, it will be harder to get you to do them consistently on your own. I might argue that if you dislike them it is because you're bad at them and not doing them isn't doing you any favors, but training consistently is more important. If you'll show up half the time for your high rep program but you'll show up for all of the time for your low rep program... Well while we work with being comfortable doing something you dislike, we can still make good progress.

- What do you have access to?
If you have limited equipment and your next bell is 8kg up, I think building up those reps are a good bridge to get there. Option 2 is very challenging to do with a 8kg jump.

- What is your training history like?
A lot of people neglect higher rep work with grinds and when they start incorporating it, they see big results, especially if they've plateaued. At the same time, if you've been living in higher reps, switching into low gear can see big pay outs.

In general, I find that moderate reps (5-12) build a fantastic base. There's some hypertrophy, some conditioning ... you build a lot of capacity with a particular bell. There's a lot you can build with higher rep sets, but as a general reminder, each rep needs to be a good rep.

Right of Passage just works. If one can put in the work then it just delivers. This is the 2nd time it has given me great results. Although I have not done the original ROP program but a modified ROP Jurassic.

I ran the ROP Jurassic program with a 28kg KB in the last 2 months. I did have to take a couple of week long breaks as I was unwell. And I must admit that I felt comfortable to jump a few steps as I felt confident of the volume. However, as the ladders increased I made sure that I was honest in following the program. Here's the result

A big thank you to

@AleksSalkin for the Biceptennial and KumgFu grip that is and continues to work on my chicken like arms and forearms (which are not looking that chickeny anymore). Always felt that I don't get enough support from my triceps during my presses, so have been working on building stronger arms.

@Mark Limbaga for commando rocking, particularly slow commando rocking, that has helped a lot. I experimented and started doing single arm commando rocking slowly, which is just next level for activating all the stabilizers in the core.

and ofcourse

@strongfirst, @Brett Jones, and @Fabio Zonin without whom I wouldn’t have come across Victorious and ROP Jurassic program (via instructors only webinars that Brett does) which has been amazing, not only increasing strength but also not beating my body up with very high volume.

Lastly, I have picked up a lot of tips from the amazing @strongfirst community that helped me work on the sticking point.

This is only a milestone for me and not the end destination. There are more milestones to get to and I’m sure I will using the #strongfirstprinciples . But I do want to express gratitude for reaching this milestone - which didn’t feel like it was going to be achievable this year !!!

Right of Passage just works. If one can put in the work then it just delivers. This is the 2nd time it has given me great results. Although I have not done the original ROP program but a modified ROP Jurassic.

I ran the ROP Jurassic program with a 28kg KB in the last 2 months. I did have to take a couple of week long breaks as I was unwell. And I must admit that I felt comfortable to jump a few steps as I felt confident of the volume. However, as the ladders increased I made sure that I was honest in following the program. Here's the result

A big thank you to

@AleksSalkin for the Biceptennial and KumgFu grip that is and continues to work on my chicken like arms and forearms (which are not looking that chickeny anymore). Always felt that I don't get enough support from my triceps during my presses, so have been working on building stronger arms.

@Mark Limbaga for commando rocking, particularly slow commando rocking, that has helped a lot. I experimented and started doing single arm commando rocking slowly, which is just next level for activating all the stabilizers in the core.

and ofcourse

@strongfirst, @Brett Jones, and @Fabio Zonin without whom I wouldn’t have come across Victorious and ROP Jurassic program (via instructors only webinars that Brett does) which has been amazing, not only increasing strength but also not beating my body up with very high volume.

Lastly, I have picked up a lot of tips from the amazing @strongfirst community that helped me work on the sticking point.

This is only a milestone for me and not the end destination. There are more milestones to get to and I’m sure I will using the #strongfirstprinciples . But I do want to express gratitude for reaching this milestone - which didn’t feel like it was going to be achievable this year !!!

Congrats on the PR - what was your PR before the program?

A big thank you to

and ofcourse

That 40 went up pretty easy too by the looks of the video, well done mate.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom