all posts post new thread

Kettlebell RMF Question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Bkb

Level 6 Valued Member
Starting tomorrow. As of now, I only have bells that are my 15 rep max C&J… not interested in buying another set atm… in phase 2 and 3, you retest the rep max and use percentages anyway. For phase one, the reps per set are provided. Since I will be using a 15rm instead of 10rm, should I use the reps provided in the program, or multiply by the appropriate decimal number?

I.e

Instead of sets of 4; multiply .4x15 =6

This one

Attachments

• 5DE73375-E181-402C-8B74-AC472B7638F8.png
    5DE73375-E181-402C-8B74-AC472B7638F8.png
    453.3 KB · Views: 46
Warning: boring answer.
I'd do the programme as is for Phase I if you're new to LCCJ.
I found form can easily deteriorate with light bells and high rep sets and you can use Phase I to build a solid technique.
Thanks, Pete. I’ll do this exactly. How did you find the program and how’d your body respond?

I just completed a phase of a doubles version of his LCOD program with Kbs that were too light and it was plenty challenging. I’d keep the reps the same and consider it to be an intro block. It’s only a few weeks; in the long run you won’t even remember and you’ll get benefits you weren’t expecting.

Thanks, Pete. I’ll do this exactly. How did you find the program and how’d your body respond?
I aggrevated my shoulder and some historic bursitis so only got a couple of weeks in. I switched to Strong! for a bit with heavier bells and was fine.
I'm focusing on pressing for the foreseeable but will do a 4 week block at some point when I get back onto jerka again.

I aggrevated my shoulder and some historic bursitis so only got a couple of weeks in. I switched to Strong! for a bit with heavier bells and was fine.
I'm focusing on pressing for the foreseeable but will do a 4 week block at some point when I get back onto jerka again.
Do you find presses are easier on your shoulder? I’ve dealt with some impingement that lingered and pokes it’s head up once in a while…

This is a very general statement, so this might not apply to either of you, but my general approach for rehabbing something is to start with a slower movement and move towards a faster movement. In this case, bottoms up press with a lighter bell to heavier regular press, to lighter push press back up to that weight, to lighter jerk back up to that weight. Depending on the individual and time, I might also progress something lower level (regarding speed) to a heavier weight while the higher level is catching up. It’s basically the opposite loading parameters than what we normally do on the pure performance side, where a jerk is heavier than a push press which is intern heavier than a regular press. Different goal so it gets a different approach. Once everything is back to normal then I would go back to the typical approach.

Do you find presses are easier on your shoulder? I’ve dealt with some impingement that lingered and pokes it’s head up once in a while…
My recent training life has been short but overhead pressing has not caused any issues, particularly since switching to KB a few years ago.
The two things which I have not yet mastered and have aggravated my bursitis are snatches and high rep LCCJ.
However, in the last year I have worked on my overhead lockout position so I am hopeful that these are part of my midterm road map.

I just bought RMF. I should really stop buying more programs but couldn’t resist. I blame @Geoff Neupert and @Harald Motz. C&J looks like it covers just about everything I need. Have had very good success with Giant and Strong. Got to finish the Wolf, then pick up Strong where I left it before some golfers elbow flared up ( I believe it was technique related and I seem to have sorted that out thankfully ), in the meantime I plan on practicing C&J drills. I can pause at the bottom of an overhead ( empty ) bb squat ( part of my warm up ) and regularly do TGU so hopefully my thoracic mobility should not be a limiting factor.

I’ll try at least haha

I just completed a phase of a doubles version of his LCOD program with Kbs that were too light and it was plenty challenging. I’d keep the reps the same and consider it to be an intro block. It’s only a few weeks; in the long run you won’t even remember and you’ll get benefits you weren’t expecting.

I have done this a few times with programs as I can get caught between programs levels a bit. I just start the program but I repeat the first week, usually easier, a couple or a few times before restarting the program as written.

Ran this program before and it definitely delivers ..

I also believe I have an idea what the "abusive" plan in the updated version is

Curious to see the revisions

I am curious about the clean and jerk vs double KB press, vs push press.

Apart from the difficulty of timing it well, is it the fact that the clean and jerk is designed to allow for use of greater weight than even the push press that makes it so difficult? Is the use of leg drive reducing the use of shoulders resulting in much more potential volume due to less work done by the shoulders? If someone who was fairly experienced with kettelbells did a clean and press vs clean and jerk with the same pair of bells, say a pair of 20s or 24s, what would the expected difference in volume be in a 20 min workout? Let's assume hardstyle where the bells can be set down.

If someone did KB strong with a 5RM max, how much heavier would one expect the bells to be used in a clean and jerk program, assuming they get the basic technique down?

Next, what level of proficiency should one attain in double KB clean and press before attempting to learn the clean and jerk (say for a 80kg man of average height with a sedentary academic job in his 50s?) Is it similar to the diminishing returns on the swing vs snatch after an intermediate level or is it a whole order of magnitude more difficult? I see it is part of SFG 2 but both Pavel in his recent program and Jon Engum in an article recommended Clean and Jerk for martial artists.

Thinking of my long-term goals here. Still have plenty of work to do with the Giant and complexes before attempting the clean and jerk. Working on the snatch and TSC prep now. I have only had a few lessons from a KB sport coach on the clean and jerk, so the volume was too low for me to be able to compare. It was all practice and drills.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom