all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Road to SFGI (programs and weekly planning)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Hausman

Level 2 Valued Member
I'm progressing from S&S ad hoc training, decided on the day, to try and follow structured weekly planning with additional exercises such as the C&P to start working towards all of the SFGI strength standards. But I'm a bit lost on how to fit things together.

Some brainstorming which I have no idea how to do, the priority is Strong as that's the weak link. This looks like 4 straight days of overhead/pulls.
M - Swings + Strong
T - Swings + TGU
W - Variety (rock climbing)
TH - Strong
F - Swings (80% weight, timed), as per S&S end of book, where you work on a bit of strength conditioning to achieve Simple
S - Strong
S - Rest

Background info:
Swings - 32kg 10/10 is feeling strong 1-hand, 40kg is in the mail :cool:
TGU - 24kg/28kg, 4 reps currently at 28kg
C&P - currently a few weeks into Strong with 20kg bell, feels heavy
Snatch - still learning the technique and not quite ready for structured training
Legs - I do a lot of cycling so that's not a priority at the moment

It seems like I can continue the following while I wait for the press and snatch technique to catch up:
- I want to continue to progress strength with swings through the Standard/Heavy stepped approach up to 48kg
- TGU up to the 32kg weight, should be another 6 weeks (28kg) + 8 weeks (32kg)

Focus on Strong and getting the C&P up to 24kg feeling light/standard weight.

After that I can focus on conditioning and volume, ala StrongFirst SFG Kettlebell Certification Prep Guide | StrongFirst

I "have" to climb on Wednesday's as that's a social activity with friends.

There's only one TGU day in the above training, is that right?

Last edited:
To be clear: your SFG1 test bell is a 24 correct?

One question: have you ever considered reaching out to an SFG to help you with dialing in your technique and/or programming?

That will be a worthy investment

Could you clarify what you're referring to with "Strong"?
Hey Anna, this is Mr. Geoff's Strong plan phase I, where it's clean & press focused on strength.

I need to improve press strength as this is the most behind, and then snatch technique + strength. Getting to C&P and snatch heavy 28kg for some reps means I can then focus on volume/conditioning with 24kg weights as per the SFG prep articles above (Thanks Ryan T for the suggestion).

I have intrinsic fun and also don't want to ignore heavy 2H swings and continuing to progress the TGU, so it feels like there are primary and secondary goals to focus on but everything needs something ROFL.

Hey Anna, this is Mr. Geoff's Strong plan phase I, where it's clean & press focused on strength.
OK that's what I thought -- but that's doubles, right? For SFG prep I'd say put the focus on singles, for press. Doubles for clean. (Yeah I realize those don't go together ;) ) But I don't have Strong so I'm not sure if it has some singles work.

What's your timeline - do you have an SFG I event and date?

Second @Mark Limbaga's suggestion on getting with an SFG for form review and/or programming...

@Anna C - I don't have a date for a UK event but was going to target sometime early next year so I have something to look forward to during winter training other than cycling in the cold :)

@Mark Limbaga Good call

I guess there's plenty of time and as long as I focus on the main goal for a particular block, ensure there is adequate recovery, other things can be added as accessory work if the capacity exists.

@Anna C - I don't have a date for a UK event but was going to target sometime early next year so I have something to look forward to during winter training other than cycling in the cold :)
Sounds good. Based on that, my two main advices would be 1) keep training regularly, with at least as much of a total weekly training load as S&S would be, and 2) start snatching very soon, and work towards using snatches in place of at least half of the swings in your plan above.

Agree with Anna, get snatchin’ as soon as possible.
Also some SFG guidance / lessons would be great…

Definitely learn the snatch and start preparing for the snatch test.

I've relayed the story a few times here, but at @Anna C 's and my SFG I, I spoke with a candidate who had never before attempted the snatch test. He fell apart a couple minutes in and just walked out the door. He realized that not only was he unprepared, but it was not going to magically happen at the cert.

One doesn't rise to the occasion, but instead sinks to the level of his/her training.

Having known her almost 10 years I can promise you that any product, method, or program that Anna endorses is top tier!!

One doesn't rise to the occasion, but instead sinks to the level of his/her training.
Agree with this and it brings up an additional thought about mental preparedness enhancing the physical. When I was preparing for my SFG I, Al mentioned to me that the adrenaline would enable me to go farther. I’d say adrenaline response is not something you can train, but you can train your ability to harness/control it.

I am one of those guys that had to train hard to meet the standards; I did not have a pre-existing baseline of strength or capacity that would easily support my effort. When it came time for the snatch test, I felt the adrenaline surge and if I hadn’t had the mindset and breath control to push through the suck, I probably could have burned the candle too bright and gassed out.

He fell apart a couple minutes in and just walked out the door.
This is a shame. There’s still things to be learned, and he may have been able to at least get the extension for video submission (unless he failed too many of the lifts). Walking out, the only thing you learn as that your character needs work in additional to your preparation. Not a judgement against this individual, as hopefully they still learned a valuable lesson in the long term.

As an aside, I had set up the SFG I in my mind as this huge achievement. Considering where I started, it was certainly good progress, but once I passed through it, my thought was, “Hm, I though this would feel different. What should I do next?” Same with Simple.

I suspect, every “achievement” will have some element of this, which is why I really like Al Ciampa’s concept of beacons, the goal/accomplishment/task is something that reach out and grab as you pass by it, rather than a goal you claw towards. Benchmarks, standards, competitions and challenges are all great, and usually require some level of specific preparation, but the mindset of having a long term view of years and a path towards sustainable, incremental advancements in health, durability and well being are of greater value and more worthy of setting your sights on. The rest is bonus that gets thrown in.

I don't have a date for a UK event but was going to target sometime early next year so I have something to look forward to during winter training other than cycling in the cold :)
Other folks may have a different experience, but I would submit that easy aerobic work on the off days improved my performance at the cert and helped my training over all. I’m probably sounding like a broken record for any that have seen my other S1 posts in the last several months. Cycling may be less comfortable in the winter for sure, so you might consider taking lots of brisk walks and easy jogging on your off days. 45-60 min 3x a week is a great option.

As far as the training is concerned, Even though the program that @Anna C wrote about is an 8 week block (plus deload) leading you right up to the cert, it could work very well as something you run concurrently over and over starting with lighter bells, do a test on the skills after the deload week, and then recycle, adding load as appropriate. It has everything you need as well as a built in deload.

As a general rule of thumb, I am not a huge fan of “bolting” different programs together unless they define parameters on what can be combined, how to do it, remains sustainable and it doesn’t give you too much mental load. The work is not sexy but the results are.

I also second what’s been said about making sure your skills are up to snuff. My recommendations in order preference are:
  1. In person 1:1 coaching with an experienced SFG I or II and perhaps a periodic follow up maybe after each training block
  2. Virtual 1:1 coaching again with an experienced SFG I or II.
  3. Feedback from experienced forum members that have experience in training for this or have coached others in the past (S1 is outstanding of course and I’ll toss in a plug for Be Well and Strong).
All the best and make sure to post your progress and training.

Any of the SFG Prep Guides will work great to prepare. (y)

You definitely want to get strong in all the basic lifts covered and make sure you're performing plenty of Swings (1-Arm and 2-Hand) and start working on Snatches (start light and easy and work your way up).

I did something similar to this to prepare for my first SFG and RKC:

For my subsequent re-certifications, I did my own thing and it worked great. One thing that really helped during one of my re-certs was when I was training for the TSC. All my training carried over and made the Snatch test much easier.

Reactions: Ege
Any of the SFG Prep Guides will work great to prepare. (y)
I'm looking forward to starting one of these, they really expand the conditioning and capacity (relative to myself, at least).

I find it interesting that lots of standalone plans with 1 - 2 exercises say that you can "maybe do your main sport etc as well but be careful about adding in other exercises or mixing plans", and then you have these SFG prep guides which are 5 days, some back to back and tons of exercises and circuits all together.

I guess the standalone plans are often purely focused on strength gains which can then evolve into strength + conditioning versions later on as other blocks.

It's nice to hear from Brett's article that you could focus on building up conditioning to an SFG level, then step up any strength gains that are still needed after that.

I find it interesting that lots of standalone plans with 1 - 2 exercises say that you can "maybe do your main sport etc as well but be careful about adding in other exercises or mixing plans", and then you have these SFG prep guides which are 5 days, some back to back and tons of exercises and circuits all together.

I guess the standalone plans are often purely focused on strength gains which can then evolve into strength + conditioning versions later on as other blocks.
Yes, I think you're seeing the logic...

The SFG Prep plans are generally focused on developing skill and work capacity, not so much the foundational strength.

Before going into the prep programs, it's wise to do some foundational programs that build strength.

Not to say you won't get stronger during an SFG Prep program, but I'd guess that apparent increases in what you can do, as far as a lot of reps with a snatch-test sized kettlebell, would come more from increased efficiency, rather than actual strength increases.

I'm progressing from S&S ad hoc training, decided on the day, to try and follow structured weekly planning with additional exercises such as the C&P to start working towards all of the SFGI strength standards. But I'm a bit lost on how to fit things together.

Some brainstorming which I have no idea how to do, the priority is Strong as that's the weak link. This looks like 4 straight days of overhead/pulls.
M - Swings + Strong
T - Swings + TGU
W - Variety (rock climbing)
TH - Strong
F - Swings (80% weight, timed), as per S&S end of book, where you work on a bit of strength conditioning to achieve Simple
S - Strong
S - Rest

Background info:
Swings - 32kg 10/10 is feeling strong 1-hand, 40kg is in the mail :cool:
TGU - 24kg/28kg, 4 reps currently at 28kg
C&P - currently a few weeks into Strong with 20kg bell, feels heavy
Snatch - still learning the technique and not quite ready for structured training
Legs - I do a lot of cycling so that's not a priority at the moment

It seems like I can continue the following while I wait for the press and snatch technique to catch up:
- I want to continue to progress strength with swings through the Standard/Heavy stepped approach up to 48kg
- TGU up to the 32kg weight, should be another 6 weeks (28kg) + 8 weeks (32kg)

Focus on Strong and getting the C&P up to 24kg feeling light/standard weight.

After that I can focus on conditioning and volume, ala StrongFirst SFG Kettlebell Certification Prep Guide | StrongFirst

I "have" to climb on Wednesday's as that's a social activity with friends.

There's only one TGU day in the above training, is that right?
I did my SFG1 in April. One of the guys in my group that is now an SFG1 and SFG2 is in the UK/Liverpool area, name is Leighton and goes by @kbcoach on Instagram. Really solid dude, if he's remotely local look him up! No knock to online, but in person can be incredibly helpful!

If you want to continue using Strong! I would suggest cutting it down to Mondays and Thursdays and then working on swing conditioning/snatch practice/skill work on Tuesdays and Fridays. You can use light or medium getups as warmups.

Agree with this and it brings up an additional thought about mental preparedness enhancing the physical. When I was preparing for my SFG I, Al mentioned to me that the adrenaline would enable me to go farther. I’d say adrenaline response is not something you can train, but you can train your ability to harness/control it.

I am one of those guys that had to train hard to meet the standards; I did not have a pre-existing baseline of strength or capacity that would easily support my effort. When it came time for the snatch test, I felt the adrenaline surge and if I hadn’t had the mindset and breath control to push through the suck, I probably could have burned the candle too bright and gassed out.

This is a shame. There’s still things to be learned, and he may have been able to at least get the extension for video submission (unless he failed too many of the lifts). Walking out, the only thing you learn as that your character needs work in additional to your preparation. Not a judgement against this individual, as hopefully they still learned a valuable lesson in the long term.

As an aside, I had set up the SFG I in my mind as this huge achievement. Considering where I started, it was certainly good progress, but once I passed through it, my thought was, “Hm, I though this would feel different. What should I do next?” Same with Simple.

I suspect, every “achievement” will have some element of this, which is why I really like Al Ciampa’s concept of beacons, the goal/accomplishment/task is something that reach out and grab as you pass by it, rather than a goal you claw towards. Benchmarks, standards, competitions and challenges are all great, and usually require some level of specific preparation, but the mindset of having a long term view of years and a path towards sustainable, incremental advancements in health, durability and well being are of greater value and more worthy of setting your sights on. The rest is bonus that gets thrown in.
Sir :) you, Anna and Al Ciampa make this thread like a lesson on life, thanks for sharing your toughts as well as Al Ciampa’s.

Yes, I think you're seeing the logic...

The SFG Prep plans are generally focused on developing skill and work capacity, not so much the foundational strength.

Before going into the prep programs, it's wise to do some foundational programs that build strength.

Not to say you won't get stronger during an SFG Prep program, but I'd guess that apparent increases in what you can do, as far as a lot of reps with a snatch-test sized kettlebell, would come more from increased efficiency, rather than actual strength increases.
I agree with this; you went the ideal route got a good base.

Another path such as Al's program, if you have time before the cert, going through it multiple times, progressing through the weights, will do the same with lots of practice with the form. Might stave of boredom if the individual has a short attention span (plodding progress of S&S).

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom