all posts post new thread

Barbell Rogue Barbells

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I submitted the order.

I went for the Stainless Steel Ohio Power Bar
320 lb black training plate set
Collars
Change plates: a 10 lb pair (20 lb), two 5 lb pairs (10 lb each), and a 2.5 lb pair (5 lb).

In addition to only $5 shipping for the whole lot, another -$128 in "Hundo Savings" appeared in the cart. Still a hefty sum in total, but will sure be a nice 50th birthday present for me next month! :D

@Steve Freides
Change plates are metal plates in small denominations (such as 10, 5, and 2.5lbs.) used with your bumper plates to make up the exact weight you are looking for.

If you're using all cast iron, plates are just plates. I've only ever seen the term "change plates" used to distinguish small metal plates from bumpers.

So change plates are regular plates that are smaller than 45's in diameter?

-S-

More or less.

"Change plates" doesn't describe the plates themselves as much as how they're used with bumper plates. So change plates are regular plates that are smaller than 45s in diameter, AND are used in addition to bumper plates to make up the exact weight you want. You would only use the term to distinguish the regular metal plates from the bumpers.

If you have a full range of regular cast iron plates and are going out to buy bumpers, there is no point in buying a new set of change plates -- you already have them (although plates sold specifically as change plates are often nicely machined, color-coded and/or calibrated, and usually top out at 10lbs or 5kg).

@Anna C, glad to see that someone got themselves a great deal! From earlier in this thread, I went and bought one of the horse stall mats from Tractor Supply Company. Heavy mat, and not very flexible. Of course, it was outside when I bought it, and it rode for 8 hours in the back of my truck.....so I am hoping it is a little more flexible after a day in a warm house.

Since @Michael Scott so helpfully brought it to my attention in this thread that Rogue is having their "5 items ship for $5" special right now, I'm thinking it might be time to buy a barbell and a few plates for my home gym.

I haven't shopped for barbells before. I want a good, decent, solid, starting barbell that is the best value for the cost. Not putting a limit on the cost -- I just know I don't want that $800 Eileiko one, haha.

As for the plates, not really sure which way to go on those, either. Of course whatever I start with, I'd like to continue building with the same style of plates.

Any helpful suggestions?

https://www.roguefitness.com/crossfit-equipment/top-products/bars

I submitted the order.

I went for the Stainless Steel Ohio Power Bar
320 lb black training plate set
Collars
Change plates: a 10 lb pair (20 lb), two 5 lb pairs (10 lb each), and a 2.5 lb pair (5 lb).

In addition to only $5 shipping for the whole lot, another -$128 in "Hundo Savings" appeared in the cart. Still a hefty sum in total, but will sure be a nice 50th birthday present for me next month! :D

@MattM I don't think so, there was no horrid smell to it when I bought it. Even my wife with the sensitive nose said nothing about how it smelled when we brought it inside. I will let you know tonight if there is any aroma to it whatsoever.

@Michael Scott I've heard they smell nauseating and need to air out for a while before putting them indoors. Is that true for yours since it was already outside?

@MattM I had a distinct rubber and solvent smell for a while with gym mats and rubber training bumpers. Nauseating? I would not go that far. I cleaned everything with soap and water a few time and aired out my gym and it went away pretty quickly. When I walk into a fitness store I smell the same thing.

Like when you put up a new shower curtain smell. Rubber, plastic, chemically smell that dissipates quickly.

No nauseating smell, even when performing get ups. I will be washing it probably once a week or so with soap & water moving forward, but for now nothing like you describe. I would fathom a guess that since it was stored outside, that made a difference.

@Michael Scott I've heard they smell nauseating and need to air out for a while before putting them indoors. Is that true for yours since it was already outside?

I recently bought a Rogue Echo Bar 2.0 and does everything I need at a great price. It's a strong quality bar that should handle anything you throw its way. I purchased a boneyard bar version and it ended up being a fantastic deal. Arrives very well packaged. Hope this helps you make a good decision.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom