all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ROP “GED” & Strict Press Form

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

damnjohn

Level 3 Valued Member
I’ve been struggling w/ progressing on pressing this 24kg after doing S+J gtg style. It feels like I never really retain the gains from one week to another & “own the weight”. I previously pressed this weight for a 3RM last week fairly easily—this week I’m experiencing the same bad form I thought I got rid of (i.e. prominent lean & the worst thing, the bell rotating around the forearm on the ascent) seen here:

Otherwise, I attempted to see if maybe I wasn’t quite ready for the 24kg after working on the 16kg for months & doing S&S w/ the 24kg for longer by trying to “test out” of doing full blown ROP w/ the 16kg. I completed 5 ladders of 5 rungs fairly easily w/ minimal rest & pullups to boot yet still struggle. Thinking about using “backup” presses to work on that form issue & trying the triple progression program. I’d appreciate any tips!

I'd do another run of ROP with your 16kg bell, and do your first and second rungs with that 24kg.

A lot of pressing volume will give you the strength and some extra muscle to get some more reps with your 24kg kettlebell!

Trust the program ;)

Hello,

@damnjohn
Welome !

Owning a weight may be a long lasting process. There is no rush. This base level of strength is built repetition after repetition (but it last long afterwards !) Most of the time, when we lose very fast, this is because we kind of "peaked" our performance. Once you reach your desired level, it can be interesting to do a period of maintenance (less volume, just enough to keep the gains and make them more definitive)

I would go for another RoP cycle.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Dries S & @pet' —thank you for the help! Do you think I should start from 3x(1,2,3) w/ the 24 for 1s & 2s & then add 4 w/ the 16kg & gradually try for 3 w/ the 24kg by feel or a more programmatic way? I was thinking of substituting the strict press w/ the 16kg for z-presses or some other more difficult variation & running the program again since I could did the 5x(1,2,3,4,5) fairly well. Thanks again!

Hello,

@damnjohn
I would go for the lighter weight and complete the whole program that way. Indeed, reducing the weight during the course of it means that you got some accumulated fatigue, which is not what you want. Plus, training while fatigue may be a source of injury.

I was thinking of substituting the strict press w/ the 16kg for z-presses or some other more difficult variation
When you run RoP, do you go for either 1 Clean then N presses, or N C&P ?

As an "alternative", you could do the light day with a slightly heavier bell, when you feel you can do it.

With weightlifting, I found that being humble and starting light is often the way to go to progress faster and more.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom