all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ROP “Easy Strength” Variation?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Patrick De Paula

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello StrongFirst community,

On page 109 of easy strength, the 2nd principle of “three ladders and three rungs” is discussed by Dan John. The specific example Dan used is Pavel’s ETK ROP program and mentions that 3 ladders and 3 rungs are what he found best to work the slow grinding movements for kettlebells, including presses. Has anyone used this “easy strength” variation for ROP, and if so, how much success did you have? I can see how the Light/Medium/Heavy days would change but I’m wondering if the volume might to too low. If not, do you believe working up to the 5 ladders 5 rungs per original ROP program would be best?

Thank you in advance.

@Patrick De Paula, the higher volume (higher than 3 ladders to 3) of the "by the book" ROP pressing program will help with hypertrophy, and that hypertrophy will likely help with strength. I have done the ROP, by the book, and haven't particular seen my weight increase, but I also think it's put a little more muscle on me, and I believe this is part of the design.

Let's also note that, in the book, there is a full page devoted to how to choose one's rest periods in the ROP, and that choice will make a difference as to how much hypertrophy is the focus.

Three ladders to three is, IMHO, more the kind of pressing program one might do a few times a week along with other things. The ROP pressing program necessarily becomes the main focus of a lifting program for a period of about 3 months.

-S-

If you are interested in an easy strength KB workout, Dan John himself has described his approach on this forum:
KB "Even Easier Strength"

Dan John has a couple of articles where he recommends ladders like 2-3-5 / 2-3 for a total of 15 reps, or 3x (1-2-3) for a total of 18 reps. I like this article in particular: A Simple Strength Program – Dan John – Medium (3x 1-2-3 with a 5RM weight)
-- you would probably do this 3-5 times per week and do 3-5 exercises instead of only two (ROP style) as @Steve Freides already said.

And in this one he programs ladders for hypertrophy: ANOTHER WAY TO LOOK AT HYPERTROPHY – Dan John – Medium

Myren Fu had this great article, program and achievement that used 1-2-3 ladders I believe. But it was rather for experienced guys with high mileage as well as heavier 1RM. Some great programming there that takes into account your whole weekly or monthly volume.

My Journey to the Beast: Pressing a 48kg Kettlebell | StrongFirst

Thanks for starting this thread. I had been lately wondering if there are any specific easy strength press programs as all the most popular ones are more about peaking/Short term ones.

What is your goal first and foremost?
And this, of course, too.
-S-

Thank you for asking the most relevant question! My specific goals include strength training while pursuing my chosen sport of boxing. I am currently still on the first steps of S&S which I intend to achieve "simple" before potentially moving on to ROP as the base S&C program to prep for boxing. I figured the programming for conditioning laid out in ROP was more suited because the swing/snatches protocol is more glycolytic than S&S. Regardless, my question was more out of curiosity of knowledge rather than a direct question relevant to my situation now.

If you are interested in an easy strength KB workout, Dan John himself has described his approach on this forum:
KB "Even Easier Strength"

Dan John has a couple of articles where he recommends ladders like 2-3-5 / 2-3 for a total of 15 reps, or 3x (1-2-3) for a total of 18 reps. I like this article in particular: A Simple Strength Program – Dan John – Medium (3x 1-2-3 with a 5RM weight)
-- you would probably do this 3-5 times per week and do 3-5 exercises instead of only two (ROP style) as @Steve Freides already said.

And in this one he programs ladders for hypertrophy: ANOTHER WAY TO LOOK AT HYPERTROPHY – Dan John – Medium

Thank you for posting this, Bauer. This seems more like what I am looking for as I was lurking through the forum before and remembered some posts about how the "pure ROP" might have too much volume with the presses especially if I am training for a sport like boxing.
Myren Fu had this great article, program and achievement that used 1-2-3 ladders I believe. But it was rather for experienced guys with high mileage as well as heavier 1RM. Some great programming there that takes into account your whole weekly or monthly volume.

My Journey to the Beast: Pressing a 48kg Kettlebell | StrongFirst

Thanks for starting this thread. I had been lately wondering if there are any specific easy strength press programs as all the most popular ones are more about peaking/Short term ones.

I'm definitely going to check that out. Thanks!

@Patrick De Paula, the higher volume (higher than 3 ladders to 3) of the "by the book" ROP pressing program will help with hypertrophy, and that hypertrophy will likely help with strength. I have done the ROP, by the book, and haven't particular seen my weight increase, but I also think it's put a little more muscle on me, and I believe this is part of the design.

Let's also note that, in the book, there is a full page devoted to how to choose one's rest periods in the ROP, and that choice will make a difference as to how much hypertrophy is the focus.

Three ladders to three is, IMHO, more the kind of pressing program one might do a few times a week along with other things. The ROP pressing program necessarily becomes the main focus of a lifting program for a period of about 3 months.

-S-

That makes perfect sense, Steve. Based on my goals I am more interested in training for pure strength so the lower ladders will be more suited for me in the future as I am not aiming for hypertrophy.

That makes perfect sense, Steve. Based on my goals I am more interested in training for pure strength so the lower ladders will be more suited for me in the future as I am not aiming for hypertrophy.
The hypertrophy that happens in the ROP is relatively small, in my experience, as I said. I am _never_ looking for hypertrophy, but I've done the ROP twice, by the book, and it's delivered for me each time.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom