all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ROP 2.0

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I would be so interested in this too! I believe it's the ballistics portion he'd be changing but not entirely sure

I would be so interested in this too! I believe it's the ballistics portion he'd be changing but not entirely sure
That’s my guess too. ROP has been my favourite program over the years. I always liked the presses and pull-ups. Snatches were good, other than the test days. I usually wasn’t a big fan of swings on the heavy days either. Lol sounds like I just didn’t like pushing myself too hard.

How about a wish list for ROP 2.0? Here's mine:
1. Incorporate the Special Reports on how to prepare for the next heavy bell.
2. Introduce a short initiation plan to bring a bell from 3-5RM to 8-10RM before using it for ROP.
3. Redesign sessions towards the end of the program to keep them under 60 minutes on Heavy days.

Probably won't be a popular statement here but I'm not concerned about a "newer" ROP at this point because the original works exceptionally well for me.

If published I of course would buy it but from a personal note I'm not looking to change something that for me works as promised.

Changes to the ladders/ rung patterns, execution on left vs right hand, specific rest periods, changes to the L-M-H structure, changes to determining volume changes based on heavy day, changes to pull-up recommendations, changes to ballistics recommendations, changes to plan duration.

Probably won't be a popular statement here but I'm not concerned about a "newer" ROP at this point because the original works exceptionally well for me.

If published I of course would buy it but from a personal note I'm not looking to change something that for me works as promised.
I was originally trying to determine if Pavel's Strong Endurance / AGT research would prompt a plan update, but based on his reply he had data to support changes to most of the plan. I agree that RoP 1.0 is not broken, but I also admire Pavel's commitment to continuously improving.

Well, the original Simple and Sinister was/is an excellent program. Yet the subtle changes made in S&S 2.0 were invaluable to many a user (including myself) who end up punishing themselves by pushing too hard and too soon with the original version, only to end up baling out prematurely.

I've seen far too many abuses of ROP when newcomers (again, including myself then) misjudge their strength, their mobility and their recovery potential. I'm hoping an update would provide similar guardrails at the least.

Of course, the experienced lifter and the competently coached initiate wouldn't need such guardrails.

Well, the original Simple and Sinister was/is an excellent program. Yet the subtle changes made in S&S 2.0 were invaluable to many a user (including myself) who end up punishing themselves by pushing too hard and too soon with the original version, only to end up baling out prematurely.

I've seen far too many abuses of ROP when newcomers (again, including myself then) misjudge their strength, their mobility and their recovery potential. I'm hoping an update would provide similar guardrails at the least.

Of course, the experienced lifter and the competently coached initiate wouldn't need such guardrails.
I agree. S&S was a great program when I first got it, and I too pushed my bells up too quick thinking that was normal since after all it was supposed to be the simple result that anyone can achieve. Then I heard about the revised edition, and once I bought the 2.0 and realized a lot of the changes made it so much better and more reliable, I realized how much I didn't "understand" in the first one even after reading it several times.

I agree to an extent. Just my humble opinion but all too often people start a program and feel they are "missing out" on one thing or another and start adding too much extra "stuff" and the walls crumble down.

I have a sneaking suspicion this is going to cause a similar excitement as the BJJ program that recently was released, ie "When does it come out? Why haven't we heard more? Where is it?"

Excited about a 2.0. Just restarted a cycle of ROP. great program. Only drag is towards the end training sessions taking an hour. But. If that’s my biggest problem I’ll take it!

I have it scheduled for later this year as well. I tried many things over the years. Nothing taught me how to leverage my entire body for a seemingly isolated exercise like ROP did. It weaned me from the bodybuilding-style "isolation" mantra.

I'm really happy about this news. I am currently running Timeless Simple six days a week and training for a half marathon in September.

I planned on beginning ROP with a 24k bell in September after the race. I think I will hold off on starting ROP until the 2.0 is released. I really hope the timing of the release will work out for me to start 2.0 in September.

I have it scheduled for later this year as well. I tried many things over the years. Nothing taught me how to leverage my entire body for a seemingly isolated exercise like ROP did. It weaned me from the bodybuilding-style "isolation" mantra.
The first cycle I did I wasn’t strong enough for the strict pressing with the 24 so I did a push press when I “had” to but this time I’m good doing them strict and am just starting over again with the 24. Excited to do it as written. I did the pull ups also and I loved that aspect. My last few weeks I was doing them strict as much as possible and really felt the difference.
I definitely hated the swings the last few weeks but I don’t have a terribly strong back so I need them.

Changes to the ladders/ rung patterns, execution on left vs right hand, specific rest periods, changes to the L-M-H structure, changes to determining volume changes based on heavy day, changes to pull-up recommendations, changes to ballistics recommendations, changes to plan duration.
This sounds very interesting, but more complicated than the original. One of the things I liked so much about ROP was I pretty much had the template and progressions memorized for the last 12 years or so. There was never a need to go back to the book to see how many ladders or rungs for today.

Last edited:
This sounds very interesting, but more complicated than the original.
I agree with this sentiment.
I was reading some of Pavel's old posts, and I came across this one from 2015 on ROP:
Cr3do said:
Just wondering if there is going to be an updated version of Enter The Kettlebell any time soon?
I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the current version.
I was just inquiring as Pavel could of tweeked things over the years
Pavel Tsatsouline said:
Cr3do, just follow the original ROP plan.
Pavel's cut to the point replies always give me a laugh.

This sounds very interesting, but more complicated than the original. One of the things I liked so much about ROP was I pretty much had the template and progressions memorized for the last 12 years or so. There was never a need to go back to the book to see how many ladders or rungs for today.
I've had the same experience as you. I struggled with some of the recent products using 'auto regulation' and using different weights on different days. This was my main complaint with the app, the programs were allot less simple than in the past. Hard for me to understand.

I'm more of a 'do this' type of person for sure. This many sets, reps and how long to rest.

I've had the same experience as you. I struggled with some of the recent products using 'auto regulation' and using different weights on different days. This was my main complaint with the app, the programs were allot less simple than in the past. Hard for me to understand.

I'm more of a 'do this' type of person for sure. This many sets, reps and how long to rest.
Yeah, I liked that I knew what I was doing each day for ladders and rungs, with just one kb. No percentages etc necessary. The only thing that might change was if I was feeling good on a heavy day, I would usually increase more than one one rung.
For the quick lifts I like a&a style better than ROP heavy day with balls to the wall swings. It’ll be interesting to see what a new version of ROP would have for ballistics.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom