all posts post new thread

Kettlebell RoP- Anyone divided it into grind and ballistic blocks?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

User 6372

Hey folks,

I am going to be starting to use the 24kg bell for my clean and press. I have been struggling with the 20kg for swings.

I wonder if anyone has broken RoP in to swings and ballistic blocks like RotK?

It would be two weeks of c&p only (that is still a heart mover) and then two weeks of swings/snatches.

My rationale is that I have a 20 month old, 31 lbs wrecking ball known as my son (and another little guy coming in January). My son has entered the terrible 2's already and I find I am carrying him alot due to meltdowns. That is also annihilating my recovery. Last week I carried him almost 2000 ft (I checked with my odometer) with him screaming and fighting. I am struggling to meet the c&p volume and put up any meaningful swings with the 20kg. This way I can focus on one aspect, switch, and not lose any of the previous work like Pavel explains in RotK.

Thoughts?

Perhaps even better for you would be to decompose those three ROP days (H\L\M) into, say, 6 days.
E.g. three days grinds plus three days ballistics.
Thought about that, but I'm not sure I could keep that up to be honest.

Perhaps even better for you would be to decompose those three ROP days (H\L\M) into, say, 6 days.
E.g. three days grinds plus three days ballistics.

I've more often than not split it along these lines, but not necessarily into 6 separate days.

Early in a cycle, I might be able to do presses and swings on the same day on all three days. As the heavy and/or medium days get up to top rungs of 4 or 5, I would split the swings into a separate day, and I might or might not do some variety day low rep practice on the separate swing days. Especially if you are doing pull ups in your ladders (but even if you are not) ROP press sessions later in a cycle with a challenging bell can be long and draining.

Truth be told imho, it's an awesome program written by a true expert. My point is it's probably best to do as written or it becomes another program altogether. If memory serves there's a q and a section wherein Pavel sort of says, and I'm paraphrasing here but words to the effect of "dont change anything"
and/or "if you ask how much it costs then you cant afford it".... In other words don't deviate.

I've more often than not split it along these lines, but not necessarily into 6 separate days.

Early in a cycle, I might be able to do presses and swings on the same day on all three days. As the heavy and/or medium days get up to top rungs of 4 or 5, I would split the swings into a separate day, and I might or might not do some variety day low rep practice on the separate swing days. Especially if you are doing pull ups in your ladders (but even if you are not) ROP press sessions later in a cycle with a challenging bell can be long and draining.
Yup. This would be a when needed switch.

@John Grahill

Agreed. Different stage of life, I would totally be trying to do it to a T.

I was going to do a run of Soju and Tuba as well.

I would not split it up into 2-week blocks of grinds and presses.
Even if such a template is mentioned in RotK, Pavel makes a disclaimer by saying you do not have any business doing those things unless you have not completed the RoP goal which is a 1/2 bw press and 200 snatches with 24 in 10mins.
However doing 3 days/week presses and 3x/week swings/snatch seems to look good. I do not see why this should not work.
If you cannot manage 6x/week do your snatches after the light day, as written in the book because it is the shortest session. Also the swing days will not take any longer than ~30 mins, including warm up and strechtes. The press days will be relativeley brief, too.

Struggling with the 20kg for swings but clean and pressing the 24? We are all different.....you struggling with the lungs on the 20 or the hip drive? If the latter, then you're going to be doing a lot of arm work cleaning a 24 ie not in a good way. Or are you cheat cleaning?
Only my view but rethink the 24 if you struggle swinging the 20. Just my view, can't imagine cleaning a bell well and safely if I can't swing it comfortably and powerfully. But maybe that's just me.
So it would otherwise seem, if you can clean it well but can't swing it well for reps, you get gassed easy?
Looks like, from either perspective, you could do some S&S to get your swings up?
Or as a split, Craig Marker's plan strong 3 days swings, 3 days presses.....fits the bill. All written for you on the blog. Really good.

Reactions: Lee
Ok. You all have given me a lot to consider. Will do a run of Soju and Tuba.

Thanks all.

@ali

I can swing it for 30-40 reps, then I have to stop. Due to the increased press volume, my swing reps have stalled. I'm just out of gas between 30-40 reps and my form/explosiveness drops. So I usually end after 25 reps.

Oh I understand you now. I thought when c and p + pulls you meant swings and snatches, plus s and s on variety days.

Thanks for the advice.

ROP+pullups.. omit the swings and snatches

variety day twice a week: s and s

I can't see how that is "too much volume" IMHO

+1
Following this template no session will take much more than 45mins while still reaping all of the benefits

+1
Following this template no session will take much more than 45mins while still reaping all of the benefits

So .. would one still make any improvements on such a template ? Or would the variety days be like " maintenance" on your current level?

S&S is ment to be done 7 days a week. Its in the book plus mentioned in another one of pavels articles.. and variety days should not impede any progress of the ROP goals..

just curious :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom