all posts post new thread

Kettlebell RoP C&P question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JCavin

Level 4 Valued Member
Sorry if this has been asked before!

If hypertrophy is the main goal(personally), is it acceptable to clean only the first rep on each side?

The book says you can do this on the light day, but I’m curious about the heavy day as well.

My experience is you will have hypertrophy doing the program as written. Especially if you are able to keep to the 1:1 work/rest (“I go, you go”) and are doing the pull-ups.

The main goal of ROP is to increase your strength on the C&P, not hypertrophy. If you're a newby to strength training, you may see some hypertrophy due to the volume in the later stages, but the main goal of ROP is to eventually get you to a 1/2 body weight press. Indirectly, it will help you along with your 200 rep 10 minute SSST.

If you are looking for hypertrophy specifically, then a double kettlebell program or barbell program is what you're looking for. Having said that, you would still be better off doing ROP or strength specific program before you move onto hypertrophy programs.

Also, Pavel wrote the program to clean before every press. He gave you the option to just do 1 clean, then all your presses on light days, once you're proficient in technique. I know cleaning every rep sucks more, but it actually will help you load the rack position with more tension and improve your press.

In the end, you can work the program how you want. But once you start altering it, it's really not "the program" anymore.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the replies guys.

I understand that Pavel tends to program advanced training principles into these things without you always realizing it.

I’ll stick with the program as written.

Sorry if this has been asked before!

If hypertrophy is the main goal(personally), is it acceptable to clean only the first rep on each side?

The book says you can do this on the light day, but I’m curious about the heavy day as well.

Keep doing C&P - but keep the rest periods shorter. Alternating C&P with pullups - recommended.

Do military presses on the light day and stay with c&p on the other days. Work on shaving of time which will equal in doing more work in less time and therefore induce hypertrophy.

Personally I would stay away additional pressing or pulling on ROP. The volume will sneak up on you in no time.

You can do what Pavel said on rest times. If you want to help hypertrophy on variety days, try adding in some squat work. If you don't overdo it, it should help you anabolicly and not interfere with your c&p, pull-ups, swings and snatches.

I do GTG pushups and pull-ups most days and have been since before I started training with kettlebells.

It’s no big deal, I’m not trying to be a bodybuilder. General strength and a little hypertrophy. Thanks for the help guys.

yes, doing one clean only will increase time under tension, as long as you keep high tension during the press.
and i remember Pavel said that, if you cannot press half of your bodyweight on both size yet, then ROP is your hypertrophy program.
i can confirm what he said ;)

and i remember Pavel said that, if you cannot press half of your bodyweight on both size yet, then ROP is your hypertrophy program.
i can confirm what he said ;)
This! I read so many people claim you can’t build muscle with ROP or Kettlebells, due to them being unilateral in nature. I’m like “how can 75 reps per side with a heavy bell NOT?” Most people I find think Bells are only like 10 or 20 pounds because that is what box stores keep on the shelf.

Frankly, as Mark Kidd ponted out there are a lot of naysayers out there critcial of kettlebell training. This is why I don't usually pay attention to what thet say. Look at the pedigrees of some of the staff at SF.... Many if not most are quite accomplished in the weight training world! They obviously have use for kbells!

I like the " they dont build muscle" so I'm going to stick with barbells and dumbbells.......I usually see them pressing 30 pound dumbbells.

They equate kettlebell training with the little Walmart kettlebells that are a step above "heavy hands"..... I guess they don't realize that going from double 16s kbells to double 40s or double beasts over the course of time will probably fill out their physiques just a bit!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom