all posts post new thread

Kettlebell RoP + Front Squats

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Marc

Level 6 Valued Member
Hey guys,

lastly I've been really "craving" double kettlebell front squats (DFSQ), one of my absolute favourite exercises.
So I thought about adding them to my RoP routine 2x/week on variety day.
However, I kind made it into a lower body day by adding double swings (DSW) or snatches. Time is determined by dice roll.

Like this:

Mo: off

Tue: Medium
1a. RoP C&P (28kg)
1b. Pullup (+24kg)

We:
1. DFSQ (working up to 5x5@2x32 using the triple progression system)
2. DSW: 70-80% of sets of 10@2x32

Thu: RoP Light + Snatches (light; 28kg; sets of 10)

Fr: off

Sat: RoP heavy

Su:
1. DFSQ (same as wed)
2. DSW (100%)

Mobility is added as needed and desired. Recent favourites: KB armbar, egyptian, 90/90, QL, hip flexor

What do you think?
Any suggetions are highly appreciated!

I second @Sauli
or as an option heavy squat session 5x5 once a week and a lighter session (work pistols, do less reps, less weight, juggle while balancing on a buso ball, whatever float your boat ;).) its all on your own ability to recover. good luck with RoP

Thank you, guys!
Actually I recover pretty good from DFSQ. Maybe if it gets too hard, I swap the DSW @2x32 for 10x10 1H-swings @48 2x/week, which is easier.

Only one week so far with two DFS sessions @10x5 with 2x28 and less than 3mins rest so I think I can tackle 2x32.

But I know from the past that I usually recover pretty good from them and rarely get sore.

I kept it, but not too long. I switched to double clean and press/military press which I am still doing right now.
But from my experience: adding front squats on variety day 2/week will probably not derail from the main programme!

I was thinking of adding Double Front Squats to my variety day's. Already doing a few of those as part of my warm-up. ''The front squat is like a moving rack, so it would mean extra practice in the rack hold. Bent presses for a stronger lat-triceps connection and thoracic spine mobility.

I would think the Medium day from Easy Reg Park (5,5,x,x,x working up to 5x5) with 7RM pair makes for a great variety day on RoP. Perhaps doing 3-5 sets of 2 bottoms-up presses after.

@Shawn90 and @Sean M wouldn't be that too much? I only did front squats and some mobility 2x/week
Can’t say from experience (yet), but if it is done between medium and light press day, there is plenty of time for leg recovery before the heavy day (all-out swing effort).

@Shawn90 and @Sean M wouldn't be that too much? I only did front squats and some mobility 2x/week

I don't know ?? I already do Bent Presses for a few weeks, like 3 to 6 singles per arm. Currently it doesn't feel like too much. On the last 2 weeks of my cycle I take my variety day's off. What do you mean with mobility ? I do shoulder dislocations between rungs and the 'rocking drill'

Last edited:
Hello @Marc

I had the same dilemma as to how to incorporate DFSQ into my training along with other criteria soooo.. I got to the white board and did:

Goals, Exercises choices,

- Strength - DC&P, DFSQ, GU, RR, Pullup, Pushup
- Shoulder rehab - GU, Hangs, Ring work
- Some hypertrophy - DC&P, DFSQ, GU, RR, Pullup, Pushup (with increased density)
- Conditioning - A+A alternating SW - SN

I chose to work within Pavel's Total Tension Complex framework. Being that I can't go all out on pressing with the shoulder I decided to combine the press and squat days into one. I alternate PR complex and then SQ complex for 18 total. This I do Mon and Fri on the first week and Wed the next week. I will wave the pyramid volume from 5 to 8 reps as I get further into the program.
This leaves me with plenty of time to work on A+A the other weekdays. For this I alternate heavy 2HSW within the week of the 2 TTC sessions, on the week of 1 session I do A+A snatching.
For added hypertrophy I reserve Sat for supersetting ring work and pullups etc. going for a pump. Sun is always an off day.
I plug in the A+A work going by feel monitoring soreness and recovery, taking days off as needed. On off days I work on active recovery using Jeff Neupert's Reflexive Reboot Mobility.
So far I'm feeling great and have added 6 pounds of muscle using moderate weight. The shoulder is steadily becoming stronger as well. The ring holds and pushups have really helped with stabilizing the shoulder girdle.

I don't know ?? I already do Bent Presses for a few weeks, like 3 to 6 singles per arm. Currently it doesn't feel like too much. On the last 2 weeks of my cycle I take my variety day's off. What do you mean with mobility ? I do shoulder dislocations between rungs and the 'rocking drill'

I did RoP + pullups as written. On the 2 variety days I did ~15-25 DFSQ.
Don't know if bent press fits too well since it adds time overhead, but I am not an expert on that.

By mobility I mean OS/Super Joints whatever I felt like.
I would not do shoulder dislocations before and especially not during training, seems to me that it puts the shoulder under too much stress and danger.
However, OS especially rocking fits well with pressing.

Hello @Marc

I had the same dilemma as to how to incorporate DFSQ into my training along with other criteria soooo.. I got to the white board and did:

Goals, Exercises choices,

- Strength - DC&P, DFSQ, GU, RR, Pullup, Pushup
- Shoulder rehab - GU, Hangs, Ring work
- Some hypertrophy - DC&P, DFSQ, GU, RR, Pullup, Pushup (with increased density)
- Conditioning - A+A alternating SW - SN

I chose to work within Pavel's Total Tension Complex framework. Being that I can't go all out on pressing with the shoulder I decided to combine the press and squat days into one. I alternate PR complex and then SQ complex for 18 total. This I do Mon and Fri on the first week and Wed the next week. I will wave the pyramid volume from 5 to 8 reps as I get further into the program.
This leaves me with plenty of time to work on A+A the other weekdays. For this I alternate heavy 2HSW within the week of the 2 TTC sessions, on the week of 1 session I do A+A snatching.
For added hypertrophy I reserve Sat for supersetting ring work and pullups etc. going for a pump. Sun is always an off day.
I plug in the A+A work going by feel monitoring soreness and recovery, taking days off as needed. On off days I work on active recovery using Jeff Neupert's Reflexive Reboot Mobility.
So far I'm feeling great and have added 6 pounds of muscle using moderate weight. The shoulder is steadily becoming stronger as well. The ring holds and pushups have really helped with stabilizing the shoulder girdle.

That sounds good, but it is not RoP anymore.

I did RoP + pullups as written. On the 2 variety days I did ~15-25 DFSQ.
Don't know if bent press fits too well since it adds time overhead, but I am not an expert on that.

By mobility I mean OS/Super Joints whatever I felt like.
I would not do shoulder dislocations before and especially not during training, seems to me that it puts the shoulder under too much stress and danger.
However, OS especially rocking fits well with pressing.

Just for info; the bent press is a support lift. not an overhead press. if you have to press from the shoulder to lockout then your form is lacking. Tgu.is.more demanding on the shoulder in my experience (longer tut)

i dont find any issues with shoulder dislocations.. :)

i do the pullups too

That sounds good, but it is not RoP anymore.
Very true..
I tried to incorporate DFS into ROP last year and I was doing S&S at the same time. I felt great at lighter weight but the ROP volume bit me on the shoulder when I went heavier as I had inflammation problems.
The front squat regimen I tried to add ended up leaving me feeling overtrained. This is what led me to search for another solution. I'll be interested to see what you come up with as I will again be doing ROP in the future, hopefully with a more durable shoulder

Just for info; the bent press is a support lift. not an overhead press. if you have to press from the shoulder to lockout then your form is lacking. Tgu.is.more demanding on the shoulder in my experience (longer tut)

i dont find any issues with shoulder dislocations.. :)

i do the pullups too

Ok, cool!
As I said, I dont't know too much about the bent press.
If this is the case then go for it!
15-25 FSQ + 3-6 Bent Presses/arm looks legit!

I'd be cautious with exessive stretching/mobility pre and peri training and rather leave it for after.

Very true..
I tried to incorporate DFS into ROP last year and I was doing S&S at the same time. I felt great at lighter weight but the ROP volume bit me on the shoulder when I went heavier as I had inflammation problems.
The front squat regimen I tried to add ended up leaving me feeling overtrained. This is what led me to search for another solution. I'll be interested to see what you come up with as I will again be doing ROP in the future, hopefully with a more durable shoulder

Well, your plan looks good! Go for it!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom