all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ROP heavy weight

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I decided to play with what I could finish the Rite of Passage with kb weight wise. After a bit of time with other weights I am working on finishing ROP with the 40k. It's hard for me to say the least. Anyone hear of someone completing this with a heavy bell? ie the Beast.
ROP is an awful lot of volume. I've seen reports from a lot of people about hitting a bit of a wall with 32kg, mostly from people who progressed pretty smoothly from 16 to 24, or at least started with 24 and went smoothly through the progression with that weight. This was basically my experience as well.

IMO, there's a point with ROP where the standard progression outpaces adaptation for a lot of people, and you have to find different ways to cook it to make it work. I was at an Easy Strength/RKC recert when Pavel was there where guy named Andy Speer passed the Beast Tamer and said he "used ladders" to prepare, although he didn't go into any specifics beyond that.

Here's an alternate progression that builds to a maximum of 60 reps in a session (as opposed to 75 for ROP), and waves the volume more using different ladder lengths. I don't know if this an original plan or something that is now being taught at workshops or certs.
It starts with (1, 2, 3) x 3 and progresses that up to 10 ladders (60 reps), then drops back to (1, 2, 3, 4) x 3 and builds up to 6 ladders (60 reps), then drops back to (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) x 2 and builds up to 4 ladders (60 reps). I suppose you could also build in heavy, light, and medium days each week and extend or compress the progression as needed. I haven't tried this plan, but it seems a little more wavy and probably more realistic for many.

I decided to play with what I could finish the Rite of Passage with kb weight wise. After a bit of time with other weights I am working on finishing ROP with the 40k. It's hard for me to say the least. Anyone hear of someone completing this with a heavy bell? ie the Beast.
The guidance in the book is to start the ROP with a weight that's a 5-8RM. I think a 9-10RM is also a fine weight to use. What's your RM with your current, 40 kg bell?

-S-

Well said. I am actually experiencing that now with my 40k with clean and press ladders where the scheme is out pacing my strength gains. The video pretty much explains the plan I used with the 36k but I stopped at 5x1-2-3-4-5. Which was hard. Thanks for the reply.

I don't know if this an original plan or something that is now being taught at workshops or certs.
It starts with (1, 2, 3) x 3 and progresses that up to 10 ladders (60 reps), then drops back to (1, 2, 3, 4) x 3 and builds up to 6 ladders (60 reps), then drops back to (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) x 2 and builds up to 4 ladders (60 reps).
Just for memories sake, that’s from Beyond Bodybuilding.

@Kyle Kowalczuk I did a ROP-cycle with a 40kg kb. I started it off with that 40 as my 6 rep max. I made it through but it was super hard!
I'd advise to build up your reps first to 8 or even 10 reps. I followed Strong with my single 40kg bell and eventually the Giant. After Giant 1.0 and 1.1 I could pretty easily complete 5 ladders of 5 rungs in 46 minutes.

Thank you for your feedback. Ill work on that for sure as right now it seems like it will get pretty tough for rungs 4 and 5.

Just adding to this, the ROP is designed to increase one's single bell press and it always delivers. When I did the heavy ROP (2016) it carried over to my double press. My strength/ability with double 40s increased after a bout of 40 KG ROP.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom