all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ROP KB Weight

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Chrisroach73

Level 2 Valued Member
I'm about to start ETK ROP. My two handed swing is much stronger than my press. Should I use a heavier bell for my swings, or use the same bell throughout and do one handed swings? Thanks.

You’ll likely always be able to swing more than you can press. The program as written is a single bell for all moves. So that would mean playing with the set length and rest to vary between heavy/medium swings. Or you could swing heavier but that’s not the program by the book.

once you get up in the ladders with the volume, swinging a heavier bell may not more beneficial since youll probably be fatigued. But experiment and see what works for you. If you have a variety of bells, I would save your “heavy” swings for light or medium day, and the same size bell for your heavy press days.

Originally RoP was designed to be followed after Program Minimum, which is a short (relatively) program with swings and getups. In that scenario your swings wouldn't get very far ahead of your presses.

After S&S came out, it seems most people, myself included, follow it before doing RoP. And if they complete Simple standard, then their swinging weights will likely be far ahead of their pressing ones. I was using 16kg as my pressing weight on the heavy day and swinging 32kg EMOM as an easy finisher to the session.

Originally RoP was designed to be followed after Program Minimum, which is a short (relatively) program with swings and getups. In that scenario your swings wouldn't get very far ahead of your presses.

After S&S came out, it seems most people, myself included, follow it before doing RoP. And if they complete Simple standard, then their swinging weights will likely be far ahead of their pressing ones. I was using 16kg as my pressing weight on the heavy day and swinging 32kg EMOM as an easy finisher to the session.
Good insight. ETK does say (regarding when to increase the swing weight in RoP) “It’s up to you”. I also think the point above about fatigue is valid. The swings won’t be as powerful after a heavy strength block (normally power is done before strength work).

Doing longer swing sets with press 10rm seems good idea to me. I have done it with single bell, but it really depends.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom