all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ROP on irregular schedule

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

hw3

Level 4 Valued Member
Hi everybody,
after achieving Simple standard, I follow ROP for about a year now, started with 16 kg, now trying 20 kg (my training log). I really enjoy ROP, I was looking forward to it during S&S and I like its selection of exercises - press, pull-up, swing and snatch. But because of my irregular shift work as paramedic (12hr dayshifts and nightshifts), I am not able to stick to regular schedule, e.g. Mo - Light, Wed - Medium, Sat - Heavy. I tried to follow Pavel´s advice from ETK:
Feel free to skip your variety days, but never skip a heavy, light, or medium press/pull day. Push it forward a day if circumstances force you to, but don’t miss it.
but I still have problem to fulfil 3 trainings (H-L-M) in a week/7 days and keep recommended rest days between training sessions and I am unable to progress as quickly as recommended - to finish "ROP" with particular weight in about 13 weeks. Problem is also that sometimes when I e.g. should train Heavy on particular day, I´m after nightshift and even after sleeping all day I feel too tired late afternoon to train Heavy and I also feel prone to injury when trying to complete all Heavy ladders. My work schedule looks like 4 weeks turning round and round (D = Dayshift 6,30 AM to 6,30 PM, N = Nightshift 6,30 PM to 6,30 AM):
Code:
Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
D  N           D  D        D  D  N        N           D  N  N     D  N  N
What would you suggest please? Could you give me a recommendation how to adjust ROP to my schedule, e.g. some rules to follow to still keep ROP being the ROP? :) For example, should I spread H-L-M training "week" to more days, e.g. 8-10? (to have more rest days if necessary?) Or should I also progress more slowly, don´t hurry and add ladders and rungs only when I feel that I "own" the volume, so "ROP" with particular weight will take much more than 13 weeks to complete?

….or do you think it will be better for me to follow another program? Maybe something like Easy Strength, which if I understand it well, is more adjustable to work schedule and fatigue, and I can choose kettlebell exercises like MP, pull-up, swing/snatch and squat...?
My goal is general strength, endurance and fitness for my job, life and my favourite outdoor activities like rock climbing, rucking/hiking…

Thank you!​

I understand your dilemma but I have to say that maybe the ROP isn't for you at this point. In reality you could skip the variety days and focus on the H, M and L days. I did it that way one time through it and it worked but it's a program based on the press which requires high volume. In other words, it more or less "needs" three times a week to improvement so I'm not sure I would extend the training week to 10 days.

One thought, I believe Pavel wrote that you can use any format for your week ..... M-L-H or L-M-H, etc. Maybe schedule a light day for the time where you have a "quick change" from nights to days and schedule the other days when you are on a consistent shift??? I understand as I was a law enforcement officer and shift work is brutal.

I too completed simple and thought about the ROP. Unfortunately, an irregular work schedule which includes some call overnight call shifts and a family preclude me from the both the weekly schedule, but also the length of the workouts.

I think you answered your own question by giving it a try and finding you couldn’t stick with it given your current schedule. There are plenty of programs that will meet your goals with a little more flexibility!

Just train two-four times a week. Do the workouts as written. If you sometimes have one extra rest day it does not matter. Just keep working. It will work anyway. :)

Thank you for your replies, gentlemen!
(...) skip the variety days and focus on the H, M and L days (...) Pavel wrote that you can use any format for your week ..... M-L-H or L-M-H, etc. (...) shift work is brutal.
Yes, I skipped variety days at all (somtetimes only did wall climbing once a week), and in the end I avoided pull-ups on Medium and Heavy days. But still felt it's too hard for me.

(...) irregular work schedule which includes some call overnight call shifts and a family preclude me from the both the weekly schedule, but also the length of the workouts.
I think you answered your own question by giving it a try and finding you couldn’t stick with it given your current schedule. There are plenty of programs that will meet your goals with a little more flexibility!
Well, I read many articles and SF forum posts about Easy Strength and I will give it a try! I decided to do 2-4 trainings/week, I started first training yesterday at midday before night shift:
  • 1-3x S&S warm-up or goblet squat + naked/light get up (yesterday 3x S&S warm-up)
  • 2x5 KB deadlift (yesterday 32 kg)
  • 2x5 KB military press (yesterday 16 kg)
  • 2x5 pull-up
  • 1x20-50 swings/snatches (yesterday swing 1x 10L-10R-10L-10R with 20 kg)
  • and 1x5 abdominal exercise, maybe leg raises or L-sits (yesterday 1x5 hanging bent leg raises)
And strictly follow Dan John's and Pavel's instructions and adjust the training heavier or lighter depending on mood and feel in between shifts. I loved S&S too, it sticked to my schedule well, so I am glad I can try training MPs, pull-ups and snatches in S&S manner.

Just train two-four times a week. Do the workouts as written. If you sometimes have one extra rest day it does not matter. Just keep working. It will work anyway. :)
I will try Easy Strength for 40 next trainings with no hurry and no stress and will see how I will feel. Then I will retest PR for ROP and see if I will feel confident to continue ROP with 20 kg.

Thank you!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom