all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ROP Progress Question

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Aaron

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello good people.

I've posted here from time to time over years about two or three protocols. Either ROP, S&S or PTP. These, in my humble opinion, make up some of the best strength protocols that have helped with my martial arts progress.

Of these, ROP, makes my body feel and look the best. I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I've been on and off this program several times since first reading ETK more than 10 years ago, and I keep stalling half way through my 70 pounders and either take time off or move to something else.

Today, I completed my first five ladder easy day with the 70 since starting the program again...meaning one rep per side, five times. I believe that I'll stick to it this time and finally progress to the 88, but I've got a question.

I am not sure if its the BJJ practice a few times a week or what, but my shoulders are constantly smoked. I'm wondering if I should do another round (5 weeks) with this weight before moving up....I am not really owning it yet.

What do you think?

How about after I finish 5 of 5 I rewind to week 5 of 3 for the heavy day and progress again to help confirm the strength?

I'd really like your opinions.

Also, something I've never noticed before, and maybe you guys have, the ladder step cycle is very close to some of the cycles in PTP. I guess what works just works.

Thanks!

Aaron

Last edited:
Ladders with a single bell are a blunt-force tool that does work, they are just a ton of volume (with a fixed weight, it's the only variable you can manipulate).

If you have access to more bells, something like this (see "The Strength Program" header) is less volume but could potentially improve your press. That said, if your goal with ROP is strength and hypertrophy (instead of just strength), you could stay with a given "step" (5 to 3 heavy, 5 to 2 medium, 5 singles light) for a while and try to do the work in less and less time. When you've milked the ladders for time, climb the next rung, and so on.

The ROP is an awesome protocol that has always made me stronger. I agree with your assessment, that it makes you feel and look better. My only advice is to watch the volume not really of the ROP pressing program, but of the variety days. To me the recovery days are important to finish strongly. It's tough to tax the shoulders in any way on off days and make it all the way through comfortably.

Having said that, I have found the single arm clean and press has made me stronger in my two hand press......yeah, yeah I know, it's impossible, but in my case it has worked! Probably because I can use a heavier bell in one hand than I can with two hands??

Hello good people.

I've posted here from time to time over years about two or three protocols. Either ROP, S&S or PTP. These, in my humble opinion, make up some of the best strength protocols that have helped with my martial arts progress.

Of these, ROP, makes my body feel and look the best. I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I've been on and off this program several times since first reading ETK more than 10 years ago, and I keep stalling half way through my 70 pounders and either take time off or move to something else.

Today, I completed my first five ladder easy day with the 70 since starting the program again...meaning one rep per side, five times. I believe that I'll stick to it this time and finally progress to the 88, but I've got a question.

I am not sure if its the BJJ practice a few times a week or what, but my shoulders are constantly smoked. I'm wondering if I should do another round (5 weeks) with this weight before moving up....I am not really owning it yet.

What do you think?

How about after I finish 5 of 5 I rewind to week 5 of 3 for the heavy day and progress again to help confirm the strength?

I'd really like your opinions.

Also, something I've never noticed before, and maybe you guys have, the ladder step cycle is very close to some of the cycles in PTP. I guess what works just works.

Thanks!

Aaron
If I'm not mistaken, I believe Pavel suggested to start with a bell size that you can C&P 5 to 8 times per side. If you are stalling out, you may have started too heavy.

Don't know your training history, but you may want to consider getting proficient and some volume doing TGU's with a bell as heavy or heavier than the bell you want to press. There was a reason that Pavel recommended the PM before starting ROP. TGU's will make high volume pressing a lot more tolerable for your shoulders. Good Luck!

Don't know your training history, but you may want to consider getting proficient and some volume doing TGU's with a bell as heavy or heavier than the bell you want to press. There was a reason that Pavel recommended the PM before starting ROP. TGU's will make high volume pressing a lot more tolerable for your shoulders. Good Luck!
Thanks! By stalling, I meant getting board send moving on... I've never stopped making progress.

I appreciate your thoughts.

The intention was to do TGUs on variety days but with my other training I've decided to only lift on the three press days.

And Sean, mabye after 5 of 5 I'll back it down to 3 of 5 for a couple weeks and work back up to the next bell...wave cycle style.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Pavel suggested to start with a bell size that you can C&P 5 to 8 times per side. If you are stalling out, you may have started too heavy.
This is correct, although I have found it works well for me with a 10RM weight as well, particularly if I'm coming to it from a lack of volume pressing.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom