all posts post new thread

Kettlebell ROP results

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Pats

Level 5 Valued Member
Hey everyone,

I've posted a few times in the ROP support thread but just wanted to say that I finally finished the C&P part of the ROP.

Quarantine started where I live around early March. Sadly, it was at the same time that I actually caught COVID-19 during a work trip.

I lost my sense of taste and smell initially and got a fever for a few days but that was it. During that time, I was just exhausted all the time but I force-fed myself an upward of 3000 calories to help my immune system as much as I could.

A week later, I wanted to train again but gyms were closed so I bought a 28kg and a 40kg KB.

At that point, I could press the 28 a couple of times so I started with the S&T program with it 3 times a week, swinging ala S&S afterwards (please note that I did reach the simple standards earlier this year).

After 6 weeks, I could press the 28 a max of 5-6 times but the last rep was very difficult.

Gyms were still closed so I decided to do the ROP and here we are, 14 weeks later.

For info, I was swinging after each session ala S&S (one-hand with the 28 or two-hand with my 40). I was also supersetting the C&P with OA rows.

From week 9, I was only swinging on the L days and from week 11, I stopped the OA rows on the H days.

Week 14, I only trained on Tuesday and Friday, doing 3x3 reps of C&P/OAR and finally tested my RM on Friday.

I'm pleased to say I was able to press the 28kg 10 times with each arm!

For info, I'm 5'8, ~150 lbs (I gained a couple with the ROP as I was hungry all the time) and 30 years old.

To conclude, the ROP works wonders and it's really simple to follow... but definitely not easy.

Nice work @Pats, and glad to hear your COVID experience wasn't too bad!

You seem to have done well with strength since recovering. I'm curious if you noticed any effect on your cardio fitness?

Nice work @Pats, and glad to hear your COVID experience wasn't too bad!

You seem to have done well with strength since recovering. I'm curious if you noticed any effect on your cardio fitness?
Hi Anna, thanks for your message, I'm flattered. Glad to have come out of this quarantine fitter instead of fatter (like so many friends).

As for my recovery, tbh, immediately after, I did feel fatigued a lot faster. I remember that 1st week right after, just climbing the stairs was difficult!

A couple of weeks after that, I already felt a million times better. But I do consider myself among the luckiest with that virus lung wise, apart from the fatigue, I wasn't coughing. My coworker who caught it on the same business trip almost went to the hospital.

Hey everyone!
How looked your workout?
Up until week 9, my workouts consisted of the C&P/OAR ladders and 10x10 swings after, either 2H with my 40kg or 1H with my 28.
After week 9, like I said, I stopped the swings on the heavy days as the workouts started getting really long.
@Pats congrats. Finishing ROP is always minor feat of strength. I'll start it with 36kg in near future.
Thanks @Sauli! I was definitely proud of myself for sticking through it. I can press the 36 now but no way can I ever see myself going through the ROP with it, just thinking about it gives me shivers.

I'm going through the S&T program again with the 32 now. Gyms are open again here so taking advantage of that. It's a competition bell though so I'm still adjusting my clean, the handle being shorter makes a difference! Really surprised at how smoothly it's going up though!

@Pats,

how looked ladder?

1c&p left, 1 row left
1c&p right, 1 row right
2c&p left, 2 row left
?

Hey everyone!

Up until week 9, my workouts consisted of the C&P/OAR ladders and 10x10 swings after, either 2H with my 40kg or 1H with my 28.
After week 9, like I said, I stopped the swings on the heavy days as the workouts started getting really long.

Thanks @Sauli! I was definitely proud of myself for sticking through it. I can press the 36 now but no way can I ever see myself going through the ROP with it, just thinking about it gives me shivers.

I'm going through the S&T program again with the 32 now. Gyms are open again here so taking advantage of that. It's a competition bell though so I'm still adjusting my clean, the handle being shorter makes a difference! Really surprised at how smoothly it's going up though!
After doing s&t with 32kg, you can propably do the rop with 32. After that you can imagine completing it with 36kg too. :D

@Pats,

how looked ladder?

1c&p left, 1 row left
1c&p right, 1 row right
2c&p left, 2 row left
?
Hey @taro, no, more like:
  • 1c&p left, 1c&p right
  • 1 row left, 1 row right
  • 1' rest
  • 2c&p left, 2c&p right
  • 2 rows left, 2 rows right
  • 2' rest
  • etc.
Please note that I was NOT rushing between exercises.
After doing s&t with 32kg, you can propably do the rop with 32. After that you can imagine completing it with 36kg too. :D
Doing the ROP with the 32 would just be amazing for me. I'll see how I feel after finishing S&T!

Hey @taro, no, more like:
  • 1c&p left, 1c&p right
  • 1 row left, 1 row right
  • 1' rest
  • 2c&p left, 2c&p right
  • 2 rows left, 2 rows right
  • 2' rest
  • etc.
Please note that I was NOT rushing between exercises.

I asked about the order of the exercises.
Thank you!

Hi Pats,

doesn't the RoP Program hav its own pulling/conditioning part? why did you go for 10x10 instead of the way suggested in ETK (rolling dice, ... )?

Hi Pats,

doesn't the RoP Program hav its own pulling/conditioning part? why did you go for 10x10 instead of the way suggested in ETK (rolling dice, ... )?
Hi @johanness, tbh after being on S&S for a long time, I just loved the 10x10 protocol. I know how much my body could handle and my focus during the ROP was more the C&Ps than the conditioning aspect. The S&S swing protocol was just what I needed. Also why I didn't do any snatching, I just don't think I could have handled it.

Hi @johanness, tbh after being on S&S for a long time, I just loved the 10x10 protocol. I know how much my body could handle and my focus during the ROP was more the C&Ps than the conditioning aspect. The S&S swing protocol was just what I needed. Also why I didn't do any snatching, I just don't think I could have handled it.

If they close the gyms again, I might take a run at Rite of Passage. But like you, I'll keep the 10 x 10 Swings from S & S. Also, just the thought of doing C & P and Snatches is enough to make my shoulders whimper in fear :oops: .

If they close the gyms again, I might take a run at Rite of Passage. But like you, I'll keep the 10 x 10 Swings from S & S. Also, just the thought of doing C & P and Snatches is enough to make my shoulders whimper in fear :oops: .

The relatively low volume Soju+Tuba press progression should calm your frantic shoulders. It is basically a waved GTG approach. As such, it can be done while following other non-competing programs.

The relatively low volume Soju+Tuba press progression should calm your frantic shoulders. It is basically a waved GTG approach. As such, it can be done while following other non-competing programs.

I've never heard of those programs. Do you have a link to them?

Yep, this is what I'm "theoretically" planning to do as well. I'm 3 weeks into S&T now, will reassess once done. And I completely agree with you, even on a light day, especially after week 9, snatches are scary, while the swings, especially ala timeless S&S are rehabilitative I feel!
C&P Ladders
+
10x10 swings?

Always 10x10?
Yes, always 10x10, timeless S&S, as in I only go when ready. Also, depending on how tired my grip is, I'll go 1h (28kg) or 2h (40kg).
That program is just amazing and I feel pairs up perfectly with the ROP as a prerequisite!
I've never heard of those programs. Do you have a link to them?
There you go :)

Yep, this is what I'm "theoretically" planning to do as well. I'm 3 weeks into S&T now, will reassess once done. And I completely agree with you, even on a light day, especially after week 9, snatches are scary, while the swings, especially ala timeless S&S are rehabilitative I feel!

Yes, always 10x10, timeless S&S, as in I only go when ready. Also, depending on how tired my grip is, I'll go 1h (28kg) or 2h (40kg).

That program is just amazing and I feel pairs up perfectly with the ROP as a prerequisite!

There you go :)

Yeah, that looks great! I'd need a knew Bell, though; I can C & P the 16 no problem. But I can't even budge the 24.

Yeah, that looks great! I'd need a knew Bell, though; I can C & P the 16 no problem. But I can't even budge the 24.
If you can C&P the 16kg KB 6 to 8 times, I would recommend to go through the ROP with it if you haven't already before moving on to the 24.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom